10 minutes ago, RuntotheHills said:

Stupid move SFG.

Alienate some more people woohoo!

Especially since PP did the same thing just a few years back and received massive backlash from it. You would think SFG would have seen that and learned from it, but they seem willing to repeat many of PP’s mistakes. 😕

Great stuff! 

Astoundingly stupid move. 

A game as complex as this gets thrown over to social media? The tacticas, tactics talks.. They just don't work over there that well, apart from painted minis, those work fine. The forum is run by volunteered moderators isn't it? The content is done by fans of the game? There's already the steamforged site. The forum surely can't be a massive burden but it is a valuable asset to a game and it's fanbase. 

Really really saddened to see sfg make silly decisions and mistakes after another. 

So many people found inspiration and a great source of both support and friendship on these forums.

Trading Post, the Painting Gallery and the General help given to new players and veterans alike, can't be replicated on the Social Media sites.

Hope SFG don't regret closing these forms as once the information's gone it's lost forever.

Very bad move SFG.

I think we all know I’m a big fan of the forum. I liked running my little contests, and the various things that I’d managed to sort on here. No one ever got to see their little artisan’s badge climb up the ranks...

But at the end of the day, SFG felt they were getting more use from social media - there’s a lot of podcasts, blogs, and other channels for communication/news/etc these days (I was hoping to use the forum to help promote those a while back, but that backfired horribly!). And the forums do have a cost (licensing, hosting, contest prizes etc). 

So really, it’s a shame and I’m sad to see them go, but such is the modern world! 

(and as a final sidenote, I still owe an apology to those podcasts that took a hit to their click through rate when I tried reorganising. It was going to be step one in a grand plan to promote them more, but sometimes you have to know when to put things back and leave them alone ;) )

While I'm not as active as I used to be, the forums are the best place to get tactics, ask questions, and "meet" people.  I will miss all of you here when this closes down.  It's just too bad that this decision was made (and no, the forums are not "dead", as some apologists keep insisting). 

I'll see you all on the other side!

There's been some interesting reading on the forums, and it's been great seeing pictures of everyone's miniatures ... don't know how some people here can paint so well or so fast! Nice to meet everyone, and a word of thanks to @Mako for his excellent moderator work!

I'll also add that I think this is a bad idea. 

Are the forums as popular as Discord? No. But they are invaluable when new to a game.

I don't know what the financial cost is to running these forums, (can a SFG employee (like @Jamie P) provide some perspective on that?) but it just seems like a loss of information and experience for new players to learn from.

Not to mention the rules forum!

The Forum Community will be sorely missed!

I have used It daily from the very beginning, It has a different vibe to other GB Social outlets.

Posting photos of Miniature paint Jobs, Unique Goal Posts,  very clear Rulings from the GB Lawyers and great Forum Competitions are some of my higlights.

@Mako Has done Superb Job over the years of keeping everything In order and making this such an awesome place, many thanks :)

Hopefully see everyone In person one day!

I will miss this forum.

Yes it has been quiet recently

A repository of well moderated opinion and useful ideas.

A source of inspirational photos of figures, good tactical advice and useful rule summaries for me to give to new players.

Can't see the algorithm driven platform of Facebook providing anything like it.

I am not overly impressed by the most modern platforms. (Though I am a heavy consumer of podcasts.) I don't appreciate their ephemeral nature.

But when the piper who pays pulls the plug we are left to plod on regardless. 

So as the dolphins said just before the earth was demolished: "So long and thanks for all the fish!"

Not happy about the forums disappearing.

The information I could find here was much more detailed and understandable than anything the Facebook groups has ever been able to give me. I also always tend to write up entire journals of information when someone asks me about how a Guild or player works, and that just doesn't gel as nicely with the way social media works nowadays; quick, snappy and short.

I'd like to thanks @Mako for keeping the forums in check, and also for just being a downright awesome person. :) 

I'd also like to thank everyone that has ever helped me understand the game better through the forums. Special thanks to @kryzak for the extensive practice sessions!

I'm gonna miss all of this. I guess I'm going to start learning how to blog. 🤔

6 hours ago, Nykolae said:

Not happy about the forums disappearing.

The information I could find here was much more detailed and understandable than anything the Facebook groups has ever been able to give me. I also always tend to write up entire journals of information when someone asks me about how a Guild or player works, and that just doesn't gel as nicely with the way social media works nowadays; quick, snappy and short.

I'd like to thanks @Mako for keeping the forums in check, and also for just being a downright awesome person. :) 

I'd also like to thank everyone that has ever helped me understand the game better through the forums. Special thanks to @kryzak for the extensive practice sessions!

I'm gonna miss all of this. I guess I'm going to start learning how to blog. 🤔

Without the forums, I would have never been able to observe how much you've grown since you started the game.  Will miss you here dude!

46 minutes ago, kryzak said:

Without the forums, I would have never been able to observe how much you've grown since you started the game.  Will miss you here dude!

Don't worry about that. I'm looking at how to start my own blog. I'll let you know. 😀

As a request to the admins, can you make a dump of the forums? I know sfg may not care about the forums but on the off chance somebody creates an unofficial forum they can replicate this forum exactly. 

I know exactly how to do this process, however I do not have the time to run a message board. 

The forum will be sorely missed, both as the core and original hub of the community, and as a huge resource base for SFG games. Facebook and other social media just aren't organised enough - FB is just like a massive lucky dip bin you have to rummage through to find anything of value, or even something you saw last time. The forum is more like a library, organised into easy to find section on the topics you need, with places to sit and have a long conversations, rather than the shouting matches that FB threads end up in.

I'm going to especially miss the Goal Post Thread, the single answer to the weekly "I need inspiration: show me your goals!" posts and a shared project log for everyone that I loved trawling back through (if no-one else can collect the thread images somewhere, I might have to try individually saving them to my hard-drive for posterity),
@Gauntlet's break down of almost every Union member, their roles, how they work with others and everything else I needed to know to start playing them better, and even dealing with them when playing other teams,
Mako's Winter painting contest that encouraged me to track down Christmas Buckwheat on the Trade groups, base him and paint him up as my first painted Farmer and so kickstarting me into finally getting the whole team painted,
and of course the very first thread I made here, during the pre-season, where I documented all the playtest games I played with my wife and the paper dolls, all the questions and suggestions we had, the conversations with John Snape and the other playtesters over how the rules would develop, and how that lead to the day I opened up my S1 rulebook and saw my forum name printed on the inside cover with 15 others, under the header "Guild Ball fans who have helped much more than they could imagine...", alongside @james ewing, @Mako, @Far_Traveler, @Nix, @BrandonMata, @Sheijtan and more.

Such a waste of data, learning and art. I could be harsh and say it's a little like a book burning, but that might be going too far. If a new forum arrises, either in standalone or part of another forum (I used to like Warseer, myself...), someone tell me so I can get back on it.

And many thanks to @Mako for keeping the forums under-control, fun and a great place to communicate with others.