TheKing

Wrapping and harriers

Hi guys, 

I'm 90% sure I know how this works, but I just thought I'd verify it here. (And I couldn't find a topic that matched my question)

On page 19 of the S4 rulebook it says this about wrapping:
"The controlling player must resolve all results generated but may do so in any order. All results generated from a single attack are considered to be simultaneous events but are individually subject to any applicable modifiers."

I think it means that if I wrap with Mataagi (for example), I can momentously place a harrier and do dmg on the wrap. But since I can decide the order in which these two happen, I can place the harrier first, which would mean that the damage result on the wrap would benefit from the +1 DMG.

Is this correct? Or do they happen simultaneously (as the rule specifies), which would mean the +1 DMG modifier isn't applied?

I'm thrown off a bit by the uses of 'simultaeous' and 'deciding the order' in the same sentence.

All results are determined at the same time, they are simultaneous. But you can then decide the order of applying them.

So in your example, the damage would not benefit from the Harrier.

Here are some examples:
1) Harriet causes damage and ><. You can chose to do the damage first (and trigger "Dodge a wrench", thereby scattering the ball) and then dodge to maybe pick up the ball. Or the other way around, your choice.
2) Fillet wraps for Blood Rain and damage. The final damage is calculated before Blood Rain is applied, so does not benefit from the newly bleeding target. But you can decide which of the two you want to apply first (if it matters).

Also note that by the Sequence of reaolution of an Attack, as seen on page 27, you calculate Damage modifiers at Step 2.4, before you start reaolving any of the reaults at Step 2.5.

This means that Damage modifiers are calculated before you can place the Harrier AoE.

+ Edit:

I’d just like to clarify @Mootaz‘s answer a bit. You resolve each part of an attack as it is selected. The only part of your attack which is resolved right away is the Damage modifier, everything else is resolved as it triggers.

If Katalyst triggers External Combustion and a push, you can chose to resolve the push before the play, thus modifying who actually ends up in range of the External combustion pulse when it reaolves.

Correctly answered. 

Damage modifiers are calculated before resolving results. Results can affect later results through positioning or other changes in board state, but there is no recalculation of damage modifiers.