Sign in to follow this  
The Old Buzzard

Advice needed to cope with vDecimate

In particular it is the kick off pressure from vDecimate.

I am struggling to find a plan to cope with her. She is quite able to take out an apprentice a turn and second wind back out of the way or just imprison them to take them out at the start of the next turn.

Has anyone got tricks that work?

Do I just ignore the ball for the first activation and advance the whole team with Anvil?

II have always been of the opinion that the ball is the most important model in any guild ball game, so think you really do need to retrieve it.

Who are you running?  With limited experience I feel this can be a case where oCinder has better utility than vet cinder. Sprint, far strike, decoy, pass should get the ball and  your player safe. If you feel like you have time you could also run hearth to add a 'use this' before you retrieve the ball to turn unpredictable movement on.

If you don't want to run oCinder, depending on where the kick goes, bolt might be your best bet. 10" of movement, dodge from a pass and free shoemerang/I'm open go a long way towards getting him out of trouble. Keep everyone else close to anvil/farris and decimate will have trouble being too impactful.

Another option is iron. Retrieve the ball with iron first activation, using impetus to make him 6/8, pass for a dodge, then activate ferrite to get him an extra 6" dodge. VetDec can't do much to iron without setup thanks to tough hide and if they try to set up you get time to move him. Does want you to play ferrite, which I know is considered a bad idea at the moment but if this is the main thing you struggle to deal with may be worth it.

I definitely wouldn't recommend ignoring the ball; my experience has been that Brewers are really good at killing the ball until they're ready for a game-winning Spigot activation. @cabbagecannon's suggestions are good, though I would also add that using Burnish or oCinder to kill the ball may keep your apprentices safer than having somebody run up and grab/pass. 

Thanks for that. I haven't run oCinder since vCinder came out. 

Yesterday I had Anvil as Capt. I spent 2 to 'While the iron is hot' everyone up the pitch walked to the ball and then passed the ball to Sledge. dodging both Anvil and Sledge 4" to my left as they were within 4" of Hearth. 

vDecimate picked on Anvil.

Long story short, I won 12-8, 2-2. 8-0 up after 1st activation of turn 2.