SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Prod

Single Payer Difficulty Issue

I am attempting the game as a solo player. My first encounter is 1 x Hollow Soldier and 2 x Crossbow Hollow.

I have went through 2 sparks already and was able to kill 1 opponent.. My issue is the soldier can do a max 4 damage and the crossbows a max 3 each. How are you supposed to be able to win at some point? 4 +3 + 3 = 10, which is all the health I can lose. IF I am lucky and actually block it partially, I am still so limited  because the next activation, it all starts again.

I was really hoping this game was like the video game, but it seems extremely luck based because of the dice. I could see if you can actually survive, when you have better equipment you could have a chance and maybe try to strategize.

Hollow Soldier should be doing 1-2 dmg normally against all but Assassin, Crossbow Hollows are the biggest issue early on, no doubt. You should be able to kite away from the Soldier, kill one Crossbow dude, then the other the following turn (hopefully not having taken max dmg from the bolts), finish off the Soldier at your leisure.

One thing I think you might be overlooking is that when you go in solo with 1-hero, you start off with 16 souls in the cache:

"The soul cache usually starts with 0 soul tokens, but in a game with
just one player, the soul cache starts with 16 soul tokens instead." (p. 13)

So you'll want to spend those to draw Treasures and upgrade as needed, realistically you should be packing at minimum Blue + Black for Block, double Black for Resist before entering the first encounter, unless you get really bad draws.

Edited by DamtheMan

Like DamtheMan mentioned, you're likely forgetting that you start with 16 souls in a solo game -- which definitely makes a difference.

I'm also assuming that you're new to the board game. While this suggestion may not be your preference, but I would also reccomend that you experiment with some type of house-rule for the treasure deck. One of the most commonly criticized mechanics of the board game is how much the treasure deck relies on RNG, which artificially boosts the amount of time you have to grind enemies. What I personally do in my games is I make three treasure decks; Deck 1 contains only weapons/armor cards and costs 1 soul per card, Deck 2 contains only upgrade/item cards (ember, kukri, etc) and costs 2 souls per card, and Deck 3 contains only spells and costs 3 souls per card.

This method drastically improves the flow of the game for me, as it keeps the RNG system while guaranteeing the type of card I'm in need of. But you can find a plethora of other house-rules here if you so desire. Either way, good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it was my first time playing so I had the initial curve there.

I actually figured out my error the day after I posted. As mentioned, I needed to rush the crossbows because they do 3 DMG and I had one black die for defence. I was taking a beating from the get go.

Overall it is a pretty awesome game. I always try to not implement house rules, but down the line I might. Soloing is so dependent on the gear you initially draw, it can make it very luck based in the beginning in that regard.

I haven't used any houserules, have yet to lose a game. Most of my games have been 1-hero, couple of runs 2-player. Have I died? Yes. But never failed to the point I ran out of sparks and failed to kill the boss.

BTW, are you the streamer Prod by any chance 😁 ?

Nope.

That's pretty great you haven't lost a game solo. I actually could not finish my first solo. The second encounter had 2 cross bow and 2 soldiers. I had no useable  equipment drawn after 3 sparks. Still tried my luck, but as luck goes (when rolling 1 black die for defence) it wasn't on my side.

Still a fun game, but I suddenly see why a person would re order the treasure. 

Did you use the initial 16 souls and then clear the first room three times for another 6 souls? 22 cards and no improvements (that's what, 1/3rd of the Treasure deck)? Sounds really bad luck. It honestly doesn't take that much of improved gear to get rolling, hell, my first ever run, beat O&S with Blessed Rapier (so 3 Black dice best attack, plus one if weak arc).

My session logs if interested: https://boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/197831?userid=166107

Maybe I have made a mistake with the rules.

If you leave the initial encounter, does it reset? I thought the encounter was done (if you beat it) and only resets if you die or rest at the bonfire.

Unless you are saying to rest to reset the initial encounter. Even then, 22 cards is a decent amount and I agree something useful should be found by then. But the improved items I did draw all had higher stat requirements. So I could draw a bunch of cards, I would be down 3 sparks and need a minimum of let's say 2 stats improved to 3rd tier.. that would be another 12 souls.

You sure you didn't miss Block/Resist dice from your weapon? Sometimes, especially if you know an encounter with Crossbows is coming, you could pick a somewhat weaker weapon, but one that gives you a Resist die, since killing regular Hollows isn't that tough.

Even without it, 2 Crossbow dudes should be doable with just one Black die for defense (looking in the vicinity of 3-5 dmg taken in the opening attacks, then kill one, survive attack from the other, then kill it). It might cost you your Estus, but if the alternative is just plain dying, you're basically losing a spark anyways, so use Estus. Kiting Soldiers so you can clear out the Crossbows in two turns should be easy enough in most cases, so you oughta face maybe one attack from the Soldiers (as you'll want to move in and attack to kill one if they are both in proximity), easier still if playing Warrior.

Encounters do only reset upon death or rest.