Sign in to follow this  
mbdeyes

New to Season 4 Brewers

Hey all.
At the end of the month I'm going to a tournament slightly outside of my local area where I'll likely face Hunters, Alchemists, Ratcatchers, Butchers, Masons, Union, and possibly others. 
I've gone to a couple of events there before and taken Fishermen with mixed results. 
I've read through the pinned topics here, but they are really outdated. Most of the tips regarding Esters and Mash are now obsolete, and many of the other players have changed as well. 

So I'm thinking of the following for my 12:

Tapper
Esters
Scum
Vet Decimate
Spigot
Vet Spigot
PintPot
Friday
Hooper
Mash
Stoker
Quaff

I have access to Stave and Gutter as well, but no Lucky or the other Union players.

So I'm wondering who you'd suggest I'd play into what teams?
I'm guessing Esters, Stoker, and PintPot would be good choices against condition teams like Alchemists and Hunters.

Also, if there are any more updated resources or suggestions in light of S4, please post those as well.

The best summary available is two threads after this one, https://gutandstring.wordpress.com/2018/11/06/brewers-in-season-4/

On 1/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, mbdeyes said:

So I'm wondering who you'd suggest I'd play into what teams?
I'm guessing Esters, Stoker, and PintPot would be good choices against condition teams like Alchemists and Hunters.

Also consider Hooper and Hemlocke. Esters' heroic looks like she is made to fight condition heavy teams, but you might run into order of activation issues with her (she wants to go early to buff your team, but at that point, her heroic might not do anything, yet).

I need advice on how to get the job done faster. 
The other night I was able to get two goals with Friday vs Blackheart's Union, but every other player was locked down tight, and between takedowns and goals, it was really no contest.

Are you sure you're playing Brewers? ;) Scoring two goals and struggling to get TOs doesn't sound like them ;) What was your six and the same for the opponent's team

15 hours ago, Edek said:

Are you sure you're playing Brewers? ;) Scoring two goals and struggling to get TOs doesn't sound like them ;) What was your six and the same for the opponent's team

Lol... 

I had a team of Esters, Quaff, Mash, vDecimate, Friday, and oSpigot.
He had Blackheart, Fangtooth, Rage, Harry, Coin, and Hemlock.

I had Rage down to around 4 health but he blocked Spigot from charging in with Fangtooth. His Resilience and counter attack kept me from being able to just knock him down and keep going. He had no trouble getting momentum off of Esters, so Rage was very quickly healed back up to 14 health (4+4 and another 2 from Hemlock). Blackheart's Legendary was incredibly brutal on me as well. Between crowd outs, cover, and Strike from the Shadows, I had a lot of trouble generating momentum for anything but my goals.

Regardless of who I'm playing into, I have consistently felt more comfortable with Tapper, Scum, Friday, oSpigot, Hooper, and either Pintpot, Stave, or Stoker. (I didn't have vDecimate until just recently).

1 minute ago, mbdeyes said:

Lol... 

I had a team of Esters, Quaff, Mash, vDecimate, Friday, and oSpigot.
He had Blackheart, Fangtooth, Rage, Harry, Coin, and Hemlock.

I had Rage down to around 4 health but he blocked Spigot from charging in with Fangtooth. His Resilience and counter attack kept me from being able to just knock him down and keep going. He had no trouble getting momentum off of Esters, so Rage was very quickly healed back up to 14 health (4+4 and another 2 from Hemlock). Blackheart's Legendary was incredibly brutal on me as well. Between crowd outs, cover, and Strike from the Shadows, I had a lot of trouble generating momentum for anything but my goals.

Regardless of who I'm playing into, I have consistently felt more comfortable with Tapper, Scum, Friday, oSpigot, Hooper, and either Pintpot, Stave, or Stoker. (I didn't have vDecimate until just recently).

I would just like to point out that Magical brew only heals Hemlocke herself, she can’t heal other players.

2 minutes ago, Falkman said:

I would just like to point out that Magical brew only heals Hemlocke herself, she can’t heal other players.

I'm likely misremembering exactly how that happened. It's just as likely I only got him down to 6, not 4, and he used Hemlock for Smelling Salts. 
Either way, I was confident that Spigot would be able to deal with 6 health if I could reach him.

personally i would drop Friday for hooper. you add another 2" melee beater whos hard to take out. between times called and quick foot everyone except hooper can sneak away for a fairly good goal run when the time comes. have quaff and mash deal with fangtooth. use one to pop resilience and the other to charge him ... at 3/1 you should be able to push him pretty far out of the way so that hooper and spigot get in there and you will generate some much needed momentum. brewers like to fight in a tight group so your the one getting crowed outs. the rule is 4"... almost every buff available to them is 4" range so try and keep your fighters within 8" or so of each other and hopefully you'll find it easier to get some take outs. hope this helps

Part of the point of this list was to see what Friday could do. She preformed admirably, getting me 8 points. My strategy with her was solid. I failed with the rest of the team.

I agree I should have switched Mash out for more of a beater. I'm guessing Pintpot or Hooper.
I should have thought using what I had to push Fangtooth around. Also, great to keep in mind the 4" buffs. Thanks for that.

I think I started strong, but didn't take Fangtooth into account. 
Hitting him with a 1" model before getting rid of his Resilience is a mistake. 
He sucks up the first hit, KD's or pushes you with a counter attack, and any other influence on that player is useless. I could have set up Mash to engage him, only wasting one influence to take off resilience from 2" and either followed up with Spigot knocking him down, or simply ignored him in favor of going after Rage with Spigot. 

The danger is having him get up later and get a couple of Unmaskings off. That could really mess up your scrum, along with doing a fair bit of damage. I could have pushed him out a bit with Mash to keep that under control though.

Oh... another thing I noticed, and you can correct me of course.

I picked the wrong models to go with Esters' Aria. 
Mash and Decimate both have fairly situational Heroic Plays that weren't really useful the way things unfolded. Spigot and Friday used theirs, but for at least half the game Friday was outside of the Aria range, chasing the ball, etc. 
Stave, Hooper, Pintpot, and even Stoker would have made better use of Aria than Mash and Decimate did.

Decimate's Heroic Play is amazing if you want to push an enemy model around and for extending goal runs. It's more than situational for me. Mash is basically a free momentum/dodge if you have the ball.

6 hours ago, Edek said:

Decimate's Heroic Play is amazing if you want to push an enemy model around and for extending goal runs. It's more than situational for me. Mash is basically a free momentum/dodge if you have the ball.

I understand they are useful, but they weren't relevant for my game. Friday had no trouble with goal runs and Mash was never in possession of the ball. By comparison, Hooper's +2 TAC would have been useful every activation, and Stoker's would have been just plain fun.