SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
TheCurkov

vHarmony absorbing damage with no boxes left.

Can vHarmony soak damage with all of her boxes marked? In what situations can she do this?

Playbook damage results that trigger AOE/pulse traits. 

AOE/pulse Character plays. 

Ledendary plays that deal damage in a pulse.

This is a thing because of when the timing charts say that you check for taken out.

Lawyers only please. 

It seems to me as though this was already ruled as not allowed:

+ Edit: Scratch that, I had misread that previous ruling...

+ Edit 2: Well, assuming this was answered correctly previously, it seems that as long as you haven’t yet reached the ‘check for takeout’ part of the Play resolution, vHarmony can absord the damage even if all her health boxes are already filled:

in the 3rd example, after the first Intensify Harmony is down to 2 health and yet she then takes both the 2 damage intended for her on the second intensify and still absorbs the 2 intended for Tower even though she’s out of boxes...

As previously ruled vHarmony has to absorb all of a single instance of damage.

Following discussions with the design team she is unable to transfer any more instances of damage after she has been reduced to zero HP (i.e. she gets to ignore the remainder of the dmg that kills her, but any subsequent dmg she can't take).

For Attacks and Character Plays work through the relevant timing sequence for each model affected and transfer damage as it arises.

For Traits and other types of Plays, although the damage is deemed to be simultaneous, resolve each instance one model at a time in the order of the active player's choosing and transfer the damage via Team Player if desired. 

When resolving condition damage in the End Phase, resolve all conditions on a single model, apply the damage and transfer via Team Player before resolving all conditions on the next model.

For example,  vHarmony has 5hp remaining, and Smoke declares Chemical Shower. There are 3 enemy models within 6" of Smoke suffering the burning condition. The Masons player may only choose two of the three instances of 3 damage to transfer to vHarmony as once she reaches 0hp she can no longer choose to suffer damage. 

If vHarmony is one of the three players in range, she will always suffer that damage, so the Alchemist player, choosing order of resolution, should probably choose to affect her first.

Reopening thread for any follow up questions. 

This is a *Rules Change* disguised as a *Rules Clarification*. You have inserted text into the rules/ability that is not in the book or on the card.

Please make a public announcement about this *Rules Change* so that all players are made aware and are not caught out during a judge call.

This is a public announcement, in an official medium. 

We understand that it's not ideal to make rulings that diverge from the text but in some cases where the practice is egregiously different from the intent, it's the fastest way to make a correction.  It's not something we do lightly or often.

The ruling has been made. We won't entertain any more discussion of the manner in which it has been made, but welcome any clarifying questions on how the ruling affects gameplay.

Does this mean that models without remaining hit points can't suffer damage?  Suppose oGutter attacks vSiren who only has 3 hit points remaining and gets 6 net hits, selecting a momentous Scything Blow and momentous 1 damage.  The Union player chooses to resolve the Scything Blow first, causing vSiren to be reduced to 0 hit points and suffer the taken out condition.  The fish player chooses not to use Escaping Fate.  Since vSiren has 0 hit points remaining, does the 1 damage playbook result generate momentum for the Union team?  Does it trigger oGutter's Life Drinker?

Apologies but this clarification has somewhat muddied the issue, and the one raised by @MechMage, to me.

Whilst I appreciate the swiftness to which this question has been responded to, and I by no means to challenge either the ruling or the medium through which it has been made, can I kindly ask for a more considered document, with appropriate examples, to be produced so that this can be properly understood by all? Cheers

Assuming we were to consider this ruling to be relevant only in regards to Traits and Plays that allow damage transfer, and to simply ignore everything it says in every other instances, what kind of clarifications would people actually be looking for?

I’m legitimately asking, because I don’t see the ambiguity here...

Is this a S1 Maverick situations then where the ruling is that the ability works differently than how it's printed then, or is there some other underlying principle that I'm overlooking?