PanzerHarris

Lawyers Guild Authority?

Forgive me if I'm opening a can of worms here, but...

The rulings made here in this section of the forum are treated as gospel, and used by tournament organisers in case of disputes at events. 

My question is, where does the Lawyers Guild group get their authority from to make rulings like this? Has someone from Steamforged said that this group of players can make binding rulings, and are Jamie and/or Bryce consulted as part of the process?

I don't doubt the Lawyers Guild members are held in high regard as players, and I'm in no way attacking them. I just want to know how they're able to make rulings that we all have to follow whilst not being SFG staff, as I can't see that anywhere, and personally I would like to think that there is game development involvement with these calls. 🙂 

What happened was...

A few of us wanted some fancy symbols by our names, so we asked Mako and he said we had to perform the ritual at the shrine of Perkins with a worthy sacrifice of seasonal berries, a half kilo of brie and a small duck* (crackers were optional). After fourty hours of fasting/feasting while reciting all the guildball players' names backwards we ascended to lawyerhood.

*The duck wasn't actually sacrificed and is alive and well, living in Dagenham. It does occasionally suffer from a bit of onithological PTSD though.

Hello. The lawyers guild are for the most part fans of the game who, after a little interview process, were selected to help Steamforged with rules calls.

You may have seen TheLieutanant around here - that's Bryce. We are in regular contact with Jamie and Bryce when discussing rules calls, but we do it behind the scenes. Our work is overseen by the designers, which you may have seen leading to rules calls being overturned, particularly when rules as written don't match up with the intention of the rule.

With regards to being held in high regard as players, I vehemently refute that scandalous remark. I, personally, have been working very hard for many years at being a bloody terrible player of this game, as the many people who have thrashed me will attest!

We are: @TheLieutenant(game designer and head lawyer), @TimW, @MilitaryCoo, @LeadDiceandBeers & @Henry

We are also available on the Guildball Supporters Facebook group and the Guildball Zone Discord Channel.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:33 PM, PanzerHarris said:

Forgive me if I'm opening a can of worms here, but...

The rulings made here in this section of the forum are treated as gospel, and used by tournament organisers in case of disputes at events. 

My question is, where does the Lawyers Guild group get their authority from to make rulings like this? Has someone from Steamforged said that this group of players can make binding rulings, and are Jamie and/or Bryce consulted as part of the process?

I don't doubt the Lawyers Guild members are held in high regard as players, and I'm in no way attacking them. I just want to know how they're able to make rulings that we all have to follow whilst not being SFG staff, as I can't see that anywhere, and personally I would like to think that there is game development involvement with these calls. 🙂 

I am Bryce, so erm, yes.