Granite

I took:

Obs
Dirge
Bonesaw
Ghast
oGraves
Skulk

It was my second game back in quite some time. I lost 12-4, and misplayed Ghast/Dirge, I activated Dirge to get in Flint's grill, and was planning on ramming Ghast into him next activation. I should have just went with Ghast. This error was a 6 point swing, and cost me the game.  It was a 2-2 game by the Masons, with a bit of ball killing to slow me down.

Bonesaw scored with ease, and Obulus (who I play strictly from comfort) did well. 

I'll be facing this guy more often than not, and he runs a Mason's very well. Is there a better way to play into them? I was going for a 3-1 game, and literally missed a kill on Chisel with Obs and Graves...dice were not my friends. 

First game with Skulk, and I put him in to stop Flint. I had Skulk in the middle of the pitch, hoping to make a mess for the Masons. Well, Flint scored both goals. Where do you put Skulk, or how to do you play him? Is he even in the 12? 

Are you set on playing Obs in the matchup. Without pointing out the obvious, Scalpel is super super super good, but is specifically very good against Masons.

Generally, Obs is better into ball playing teams, whilst Scalpel is useful into beater teams. 

I am not a Mort player BUT if I was making a team to beat Masons... 
Scalpel / VHemlock / Graves are the core bit.

Vs his team, Scalpel with tooled up will 'relatively' reliably one round Flint/VChisel/Marbles

You're looking to avoid an all out and out scrum, you want to give him two hard choices:

1. not engage, and accept that you get another turn of Scalpel moving, killing someone, then second wind backwards then being hemlock midnight offering back to the safety of her team.

2. engaging, and letting you pile in on that poor player with lots of players.

If he's running Vchisel, then his superior strategy is potent but a lot worse and without tower, it's no where near as scary as Scalpel. So you may end up in a yoyo game, where he's Superior Strategying Honour into your lines, winning initative and running her backwards, whilst you in turn are yoyo scalpelling him.

Keep your team healthy, heal them up. You're going to struggle to out MP masons when they start getting lots of people engaged, but if you can limit who he can engage, say honour is the only one who can get into your team, if you're on more than 12 health, you're already making things tricky for him. Avoid your players getting into one round territory and look to set up one round kills with scalpel. 

Scalpel makes granite look really silly...

If helpful I wrote a small essay on Honour on the Masons thread: 

I can't comment on Skulk, but I would probably try and let him score, put the ball on bonesaw. Don't score, and keep him away from flint. Then if he wants to chase the  ball, he's overcommiting pieces that let you gang up on him. The mason player wants to keep his ladies and men together to protect each other, so force him to spread out so that Scalpel can pick people off. You don't HAVE to counter score, let him score, kill flint, for a 2/4, then win the scrum, to get to 8/4 and finish with bonesaw.

The general key to the matchup, is understanding how the masons can engage favorably or unfavorably. Make them pay for overcommitting pieces and look for ways to split them up. (All of which Scalpel does extraordinarily well...) 

On 1/1/2019 at 9:04 PM, Pentagon said:

Are you set on playing Obs in the matchup. Without pointing out the obvious, Scalpel is super super super good, but is specifically very good against Masons.

Generally, Obs is better into ball playing teams, whilst Scalpel is useful into beater teams. 

I am not a Mort player BUT if I was making a team to beat Masons... 
Scalpel / VHemlock / Graves are the core bit.

Vs his team, Scalpel with tooled up will 'relatively' reliably one round Flint/VChisel/Marbles

You're looking to avoid an all out and out scrum, you want to give him two hard choices:

1. not engage, and accept that you get another turn of Scalpel moving, killing someone, then second wind backwards then being hemlock midnight offering back to the safety of her team.

2. engaging, and letting you pile in on that poor player with lots of players.

If he's running Vchisel, then his superior strategy is potent but a lot worse and without tower, it's no where near as scary as Scalpel. So you may end up in a yoyo game, where he's Superior Strategying Honour into your lines, winning initative and running her backwards, whilst you in turn are yoyo scalpelling him.

Keep your team healthy, heal them up. You're going to struggle to out MP masons when they start getting lots of people engaged, but if you can limit who he can engage, say honour is the only one who can get into your team, if you're on more than 12 health, you're already making things tricky for him. Avoid your players getting into one round territory and look to set up one round kills with scalpel. 

Scalpel makes granite look really silly...

If helpful I wrote a small essay on Honour on the Masons thread: 

I can't comment on Skulk, but I would probably try and let him score, put the ball on bonesaw. Don't score, and keep him away from flint. Then if he wants to chase the  ball, he's overcommiting pieces that let you gang up on him. The mason player wants to keep his ladies and men together to protect each other, so force him to spread out so that Scalpel can pick people off. You don't HAVE to counter score, let him score, kill flint, for a 2/4, then win the scrum, to get to 8/4 and finish with bonesaw.

The general key to the matchup, is understanding how the masons can engage favorably or unfavorably. Make them pay for overcommitting pieces and look for ways to split them up. (All of which Scalpel does extraordinarily well...) 

This is very helpful, thank you!

One of the biggest things Masons do is layer beneficial auras all over each other, similar to Butchers. Being able to strings people out of those bonus ranges is massively helpful.