Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar Rok

Coming Back

So, I took some time away from the game, and am returning in the next week. I like to think I could maneuver my way around the pitch, and give my opponent a good game. 

Where should I start, and what are some key elements I need to know about the game, and Morts? Do you guys feel the game is in a good place?

Links, and or personal experiences are totally welcome.

As always thanks. 

New to Morts this season, but have had 6-7 games (4 in tournament conditions), sitting at 50/50 win-loss right now. My current thoughts:

Obulus is still Obby - great for a football game and messing with 1 opponent at a time. Scalpel has most of my wins, clock intensive, but can manipulate both teams to your advantage and guarantees a couple of takeouts.

Bonesaw will pretty much score from anywhere, vHemlocke is great for adding to anyone's threat range. Graves in either form is good, Silence is crucial against teams that want a specific activation order. Cosset is a bit more survivable now. BP&M look like a lot of fun - used them once to great effect, but need more practice.

Casket and Ghast are great for blunting charge-heavy teams like Butchers, Navs, etc.

Take your mascot on preference, and depending on your squad choice - Vileswarm w/ vGraves, Dirge w/ Cosset or Silence.

If you've access to Ratcatchers, then Skulk is very useful, haven't tried Pelage (but have been in the receiving end of her completely neutering Boar for most of a game!)

23 hours ago, Ragnar Rok said:

So, I took some time away from the game, and am returning in the next week. I like to think I could maneuver my way around the pitch, and give my opponent a good game. 

Where should I start, and what are some key elements I need to know about the game, and Morts? Do you guys feel the game is in a good place?

Links, and or personal experiences are totally welcome.

As always thanks. 

Give opponent good time? With Morts? That's not the point. Playing Spooks You have to make them suffer, make them bite tables edge in a helpless fury. Only THEN You know You play them the right way ;)

To be honest, Scalpel is our main captain now. Obulus is still decent but, being an old man, can't keep up with the current pace of the game. He has some matchups but VooDoo Queen is better in like 75% of games. Don't leave home without vHemlock and get ready, I'd say nerfhammer is coming her way ;)

I'd say B&M are a weak link now. All the other players are at least decent now, though might have better and worse matchups.

13 hours ago, Pinball said:

New to Morts this season, but have had 6-7 games (4 in tournament conditions), sitting at 50/50 win-loss right now. My current thoughts:

Obulus is still Obby - great for a football game and messing with 1 opponent at a time. Scalpel has most of my wins, clock intensive, but can manipulate both teams to your advantage and guarantees a couple of takeouts.

Bonesaw will pretty much score from anywhere, vHemlocke is great for adding to anyone's threat range. Graves in either form is good, Silence is crucial against teams that want a specific activation order. Cosset is a bit more survivable now. BP&M look like a lot of fun - used them once to great effect, but need more practice.

Casket and Ghast are great for blunting charge-heavy teams like Butchers, Navs, etc.

Take your mascot on preference, and depending on your squad choice - Vileswarm w/ vGraves, Dirge w/ Cosset or Silence.

If you've access to Ratcatchers, then Skulk is very useful, haven't tried Pelage (but have been in the receiving end of her completely neutering Boar for most of a game!)

I have the LE Skulk on the way from SF. Hopefully he get's here soon. 

I've always been an Obs guy, and was one of the few that actually tried to make Bonesaw work, back in the day. LOL..I'm a stubborn bastich. 

I am beyond excited to hear he can finally score, and score well. He is my favorite piece.

15 minutes ago, el009 said:

Give opponent good time? With Morts? That's not the point. Playing Spooks You have to make them suffer, make them bite tables edge in a helpless fury. Only THEN You know You play them the right way ;)

To be honest, Scalpel is our main captain now. Obulus is still decent but, being an old man, can't keep up with the current pace of the game. He has some matchups but VooDoo Queen is better in like 75% of games. Don't leave home without vHemlock and get ready, I'd say nerfhammer is coming her way ;)

I'd say B&M are a weak link now. All the other players are at least decent now, though might have better and worse matchups.

LOL. 

I mostly play against a couple people, got tired of Farmers kicking my teeth in, so took a long break until they were fixed. 
I am looking forward to having Bonesaw be decent now, since he has long since been my favorite player. I am also looking forward to running Hemlock. I never used B & M, so I won't miss them too much. 

On the other hand, my meta is convinced BPM is broken and should be nerfed into the ground.

With Scalpel pushing everyone around, and They Ain't Tough from vGraves, it's not uncommon for me to be rolling 10+ dice from Memory on a knocked down, -1 armor opponent.  With reasonable set up, he can easily turn 4 influence into 10 momentum and 2 VP.

1 hour ago, The Ferryman said:

On the other hand, my meta is convinced BPM is broken and should be nerfed into the ground.

With Scalpel pushing everyone around, and They Ain't Tough from vGraves, it's not uncommon for me to be rolling 10+ dice from Memory on a knocked down, -1 armor opponent.  With reasonable set up, he can easily turn 4 influence into 10 momentum and 2 VP.

Sure, in magic christmas scenario it can be deadly but it's so telegraphed that can be seen from miles away. For my taste they are too easy to counter but I get that they do work for You.

Bonesaw is fine, now he can reasonably tackle the ball and disengage with a :momPD:. And he loves +2"/+2" move card after scoring his first goal and dying right after ;)

8 hours ago, el009 said:

Sure, in magic christmas scenario it can be deadly but it's so telegraphed that can be seen from miles away. For my taste they are too easy to counter but I get that they do work for You.

Bonesaw is fine, now he can reasonably tackle the ball and disengage with a :momPD:. And he loves +2"/+2" move card after scoring his first goal and dying right after ;)

That's what Shark does too tho. Then  you get him back on the pitch, and back into the fray. Course Shark is a special kind of scorer.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:57 PM, el009 said:

I don't find it to be that magical Christmassy.  Sure, getting my entire team around a single model can take a while, but if you hold back Scalpel, you can kind of take your pick of who to assassinate.  And even if it is telegraphed, if you have a decent set up, you should be using your control elements in such a way that even if they know what's coming, they can't actually do anything about it.  I find Memory to be very agile to a changing pitch, as he gets to move with every friendly activation.  Hell, he's actually really good at telegraphing false information, as I can send him off in one direction, and then change my mind later and go a different way, or bait my opponent into killing him, only for him to use Thought on Brainpan's activation and go murder the model I was really focused on the whole time.  Sure, some situations are magical Christmas land, but as Morticians, we should be crafting the pitch such that "magical Christmas land" happens more often than not.

My goal is to leave the table with my opponent thinking that I'm extremely lucky, and not realizing that I'm just good. 

It sounds like ineffective overcomplication that requires your opponent to sit and watch or kill Memory when he's in a bad position to place him in a good position instead. 

5 hours ago, Ruffy said:

It sounds like ineffective overcomplication that requires your opponent to sit and watch or kill Memory when he's in a bad position to place him in a good position instead. 

You're right, that's what B&M are for me - overcomplication, prone to disruption. Why would I set them up whole turn to kill 1 model when I can go Stab! Stab! Stab! with Scalpel with the same end result while rest of the team does other things?

2 hours ago, el009 said:

You're right, that's what B&M are for me - overcomplication, prone to disruption. Why would I set them up whole turn to kill 1 model when I can go Stab! Stab! Stab! with Scalpel with the same end result while rest of the team does other things?

Scalpel is also stabbing people, and effectively so, but positioning is always going to be more important than raw damage.  If I can distract a model I don't want to engage with, great, I'm not dealing with him in the scrum I'm creating.  When I want Memory to be involved, he's actually pretty fast to move between positions.  Often, I don't need to move him, and I can happily destroy two models at once.  He's very flexible if you can get past BPM's complication.  They are a model set that rewards practice, much like Obulus.  Watch someone's first three games or so with Obulus, and they may end up coming away with thinking he is a Captain with a shitty playbook, expensive plays, and no HP, but anyone with practice knows why he has traditionally been considered one of the best captains in the game. It's a control playstyle, it's not easy to pick up, and the benefits aren't always directly measured in goals and damage, even if they ultimately facilitate both.

So, I played my first game back with a repurchased Morticians team. 

Why is getting back into this game like putting on an old comfortable pair of shoes? Not sure but it was. 

I ran 

Obulus
Dirge
Ghast
Bonesaw
vGraves
Ghast

Hunters:
Theron
Fahad
Chaska
Seenah
Zarola
vMinx

Mostly because oGraves wasn't built, nor was Cosset. 

I played into a Theron led Hunter team, and fumbled around the pitch. I actually took out vMinx, and the Cat, and scored a goal with Bonesaw.  Lost 7-12, but I played very rustily. Chaska is a damn nightmare now, and he took out three models on his own. Note to self, P'Master him over to me, and beat him to a red pulp. 

I made three mistakes, two of them where I had brought Obulus back on after he had been taken out, and one "Unmasking" pushing Seenah away, instead of keeping close that beast.

I've read Scalpel is where it's at, but I still have a soft, comfortable spot for Obs.