Sign in to follow this  
Furnace

Ox s4 composition

What have you been running with Ox this season? 

I played my first s4 game with Butchers last night and I ended up with pretty much zero footballing skills. I took Ox, Princess, Boiler, Boar, Tenderizer and Shank. I ended up loading Boiler, Ox and Shank most of the time. 

Butchers churn out momentous damage like crazy. I really liked the damage output though. I played Butchers in s3 and I felt I made some good damage then but felt I kinda got lost in the end because Butchers doesn't seem to last too long but my first impression is that might've changed a bit. Or then I've learned to play just a bit better. 

Boiler does wicked damage, Ox is no slouch himself and Boar is still himself. Sadly Tenderizer didn't really come into play and Shank got a bit left out as well as he was taken out swiftly. 

Anyhoo, enough rambling, what are you running with Ox and how have you found the team? 

I like Tenderiser against other melee teams that are going to want to come in to you. You need to protect Ox against these teams, and tenderiser allows you to keep him protected by the counter charge provided he doesn't have to move to far forward.

After that, I like Shank and Boiler, and princess is a given, with the final slot I think there's arguments for each of Boar, Gutter, oBrisket and Roast.

Boiler is just good solid damage output, even without Princess, and with the axe throw dealing a ton of damage under Ox's aura and setting up shank a super charge it's a fool who leaves him behind.

Shank is great against most teams because he can nearly always spend a 4-stack to great effect, stretches Ox's aura further with his 2" melee, and, with his dodges, can often get the aura on subsequent attacks even if he doesn't get them first time out.

Roast probably has the best reliable damage output of anyone (Boar beats him if he can get full use of his INF and Boiler beats them both if you can get Assist) and the pushes are often brilliant, too. Roast is INF hungry, however, so if you're going to stack up him, Boiler and Shank there's only one left for Ox. This means you can play Ox a lot more conservatively, only bringing him in on a full stack on his legendary turn or when another model isn't going to be able to spend any. 

Boar has huge damage output, and concussion is great against some opponents (looking at you, Windle), but he's very easily controlled. I'm not sure I've found a spot for him in S4 yet.

Gutter is great to put 2 (or even 1 INF on if you've got Roast in the team, too) and charge in for one massive burst attack. A full stack with her is less useful as after the charge her follow up attacks can be really disappointing.

oBrisket is great if you're receiving as she can get a goal and get you that extra 2 INF for the rest of the game. But she's also decent with Ox because of Dirty Knives. Not only does this give you a great ranged damage game (stack her up and if her and boiler can focus on, and hit with each attack, the same target from inside Ox's aura they're suffering a total of 13 damage if you include conditions), but it's also a really good support play and means that if you just give her 2 INF she's going to do something helpful.

Really solid points! 

I actually have been out of habit stacking up Ox with nigh full all the time. After playing Shark, Skatha, Fillet etc that I seem to forget that you don't really have to stack up Ox unless it's beneficial. That is a really good eye opener actually. :) As he still does things with his auras in effect. 

Boar is very easily controlled and a bit of a liability as well in certain situations, I usually use him because I like the model and I'm not playing super competitively. A bit sad to hear there might not be a place for him, but I did find out that Boiler churns out similiar damage if not more and isn't as easily controlled. 

Roast I haven't glanced yet as I don't have a model for it. But he does sound very good. 

I was thinking about including oBrisket in my line up over Tenderizer but decided that I wanted to give Tenderizer a go. He got one charge in but whiffed it pretty badly. 

Shank I am pretty hyped about though, I played him in s3 and he always fell short because of his 3 cap. I felt like I wanted to do more but just couldn't. So 2/4 seems like a good change to him! 

11 minutes ago, Furnace said:

I was thinking about including oBrisket in my line up over Tenderizer but decided that I wanted to give Tenderizer a go. He got one charge in but whiffed it pretty badly.

"Whiffed it pretty badly"? He caused a KD which meant that the subsequent Boar counter-attack KD wasted me two Influence and thus saved your Boar from (likely) getting Concussed which would've made him useless for a turn. Dunno how much more you expect for zero Influence out of a model :P 

5 minutes ago, Lemminkäinen said:

"Whiffed it pretty badly"? He caused a KD which meant that the subsequent Boar counter-attack KD wasted me two Influence and thus saved your Boar from (likely) getting Concussed which would've made him useless for a turn. Dunno how much more you expect for zero Influence out of a model :P 

No he got a kd and you got up from momentum. :D

30 minutes ago, Furnace said:

No he got a kd and you got up from momentum. :D

Yeah, but that's the reason I couldn't get up using Mom when Boar counter-attack KD'd me again on my attack (because you can clear conditions only once per activation using mom). I had two Influence left that went to waste because of that.