Sign in to follow this  
Furnace

Lovely subtle changes to previewed models.

What I'm talking about are these:

e146bf012b980a3eb876eaa6435c878a_origina

Changing into these:

353f194c725aa42136a3fbe8420eaed4_origina

If that isn't a nice little kick in the enthusiasm and trust in sfg I'm not entirely sure what is. 

I was already super saddened seeing the state GB is in now, even more so with the announcement lacking that was supposed to come this week. And now this? 

Not great. 

I guess I can understand the change in Grimshalla, if retailers really thought that the figure would put off potential buyers of the game as a whole.

That said, I do hope that SFG will consider making the original version available via their  web store as a Limited Edition resin version, for the players who showed faith in the Kickstarter campaign and would like to own it as well.

I'd be happy with the STL files, as I have a Resin printer and could possibly produce my own copy.

1 hour ago, JS said:

What was 'the problem', exactly?

I believe rumour is that several retailers had said they didn’t want to stock the model as it wasn’t family friendly, unlike the rest of the range.

I don’t know how accurate that is, though. I’ve not seen much official beyond “some people told us it didn’t fit the range”, though I of course don’t see everything that goes on on social media.

Personally, I didn’t like the original and I don’t like the new one, so I lose nothing - fat/vomiting nurgle type models don’t interest me. However, the change seems to have caused a lot of anger amongst those who did like her.

I definitely agree the minions look less developed, but I assume they’re WIP as the current level of detail wouldn’t match the range either. Who knows. 

Lack of an official statement on 'The Problem' is what's causing a lot of annoyance for a lot of people, along with the fact that Grimshalla was the model that probably convinced a few people to go in on the game (much like any other champion probably tipped anyone else over into taking part, from Halftusk to Blackjaw).

If it was a 'mechanical' problem, like a limitation with the sculpt / moulding tools, an obvious issue that retailers had objected to (like the chest arm-things needing to be replaced or covered for example) or anything else that could be made clear to backers with explanation and SFG had been open and discussed the issue, I'm sure much of the annoyance and outrage could have been quelled. But instead there was a half given answer of 'Feedback' and no prior warning or confirmation when it became clear that there would need to be a change, resulting in people (not unreasonably) being upset.

Coming into that situation with a fairly lack lustre render (in terms of detail, etc) of a fairly unimpressive model to replace Grimshalla with seems like a poor choice that's compounded the issue for a lot of backers.

Then there's been no official comments of any kind so on any forum, be they facebook, twitter, kickstarter or even here about it makes it seems a lot like SFG are happy to just let this dumpster fire of a situation grow without any kind of damage control.

5 hours ago, RTBailey said:

Lack of an official statement on 'The Problem' is what's causing a lot of annoyance for a lot of people, along with the fact that Grimshalla was the model that probably convinced a few people to go in on the game (much like any other champion probably tipped anyone else over into taking part, from Halftusk to Blackjaw).

If it was a 'mechanical' problem, like a limitation with the sculpt / moulding tools, an obvious issue that retailers had objected to (like the chest arm-things needing to be replaced or covered for example) or anything else that could be made clear to backers with explanation and SFG had been open and discussed the issue, I'm sure much of the annoyance and outrage could have been quelled. But instead there was a half given answer of 'Feedback' and no prior warning or confirmation when it became clear that there would need to be a change, resulting in people (not unreasonably) being upset.

Coming into that situation with a fairly lack lustre render (in terms of detail, etc) of a fairly unimpressive model to replace Grimshalla with seems like a poor choice that's compounded the issue for a lot of backers.

Then there's been no official comments of any kind so on any forum, be they facebook, twitter, kickstarter or even here about it makes it seems a lot like SFG are happy to just let this dumpster fire of a situation grow without any kind of damage control.

I think I got an Email about the reason why the change because I'm a Backer?

11 hours ago, Kueller said:

I think I got an Email about the reason why the change because I'm a Backer?

That email just contains the same as the actual update post on the kickstarter. Which says the change was based on "-contacted us to let us know you did not think her art and sculpt meshed well with the rest of Godtear."

The trouble is that it doesn't say what about the sculpt didn't mesh well. Was it the stubby chest arms? The fact she's a she? the fact she's ugly and fat?

And given how a lot of people reacted, a lot of people clearly thought the inverse.

Further to the issue, all of those people must have messaged SFG privately, because having gone back through as much of the comments as I can, I couldn't find a single comment saying anything negative about Grimshalla from during the kickstarter.

If SFG had told people when they started making these changes, rather than at the mid to end of making the changes, this could all have gone down differently. Had we been told 3 - 4 months ago that "Hey backers, we've run into some issues about <Insert Grimshalla visual decision here>. As such, we're looking to resculpt / rework the champion quite heavily. What would you want most to keep about that champion so we can try and keep it close to what originally got you guys hyped about Grimshalla?" then there could have been some really positive discussion and people wouldn't have been so sideswiped by the change.

Instead out of the blue people got a complete resculpt with rather unimpressive minions and a reason that doesn't fully explain the situation.

Also even the issue that regarded her surely didn't regard the previous minions which were massively downgraded from detailed to absolutely nothing. 

And it doesn't quite explain why the model went from a detailed mini to.. That. Surely there could've been better fixes to the issue than a massive downgrade on details, style and overall quality of the miniatures. 

Well I mean.. Miniature is such a grandiose term when it comes to the new iteration of these come to think of it.

I don't even understand the "non-family-friendly" part. I mean, if you take the front flabs to be boobs, I suppose you could make that argument but then just change the flabs! (They already start at her neck so don't look all that booby to me but whatever). Otherwise she really doesn't read "feminine" to me but is simply monstrous so to know that she is actually a she you need to read the fluff and then we are kinda far from "FLGS does or doesn't consider something family friendly".

On 12/12/2018 at 5:00 AM, Lemminkäinen said:

I don't even understand the "non-family-friendly" part. I mean, if you take the front flabs to be boobs, I suppose you could make that argument but then just change the flabs! (They already start at her neck so don't look all that booby to me but whatever). Otherwise she really doesn't read "feminine" to me but is simply monstrous so to know that she is actually a she you need to read the fluff and then we are kinda far from "FLGS does or doesn't consider something family friendly".

I really liked the old model - maybe I feel like there are way more sexual sculpts out there 🙂

Maybe they can improve on the new model a bit and everybody will be happy.

/M