SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JacctheInsomniac

The Character Design for this Game is SO Good.

There's little arc to this post, but holy crap every so often I just sit there and stare at a particular model or art.

The diversity of the roster is fantastic! From hardass captains both male and female, disabled, young, old, beautiful, grotesque, slim, fat, violent, pacifist and more.

I think my single favorite character design has got to be Minx once she has her spear and I can honestly talk for hours about all of the Hunters' designs, but I have to give a soundoff to Hag, Lucky, and Esters for representing atypical archetypes.

Who're your favorite models from a purely aesthetic/visual design perspective. Who do you dislike? Why?

My favourites are probably Hag, Skatha, Scalpel, vKat, Benediction, vSpigot, Pintpot, oSakana to name a few from the top of my head. But I agree there are so many so good ones. It's a tough pick to name the best ones. I think the metal line is superb when it comes to characters. 

Dislikes are Sledge and a quite a few Blacksmiths in general, Ikaros is super silly, the Miners guild seems to go full jumping the shark in their tech and I quite dislike the entire guild, especially the tank which to me breaks the aesthetic big time. Engineers are a bit on the same boat in general but there are some good sculpts there. Not a massive fan of Grace either. Roast looks horrid as well. 

So many good models ... to pick a few maybe Veteran Honour, Granite, Pintpot, Stave, Hag ... navigators are looking good too.

Mercury and oKat were the models that made me decide to play Alchemists first, and the KS Midas is also awesome. Of the latest models, Granite is very characterful and my favourite Masons sculpt, Benediction has a very elegant look, rather classically posed too, so he's up there, and rookie Windle is another characterful piece I have to buy at Salute - I've added a fox walking past with a rabbit in it's mouth to emphasis how lazy and crap at his jump Windle really is (standing around eating turnips while the farm's produce is being stolen literally right under his nose).

8 hours ago, Furnace said:

Miners guild seems to go full jumping the shark in their tech and I quite dislike the entire guild, especially the tank which to me breaks the aesthetic big time. Engineers are a bit on the same boat in general but there are some good sculpts there. Not a massive fan of Grace either. Roast looks horrid as well.  

No arguments about your likes, but I'm not really opposed to the Miner's whole shtick. I'm not a big fan of the sculpts but I think the players fit right into GB's world, and the Engineers contend with Alchemists for my second favorite team based on look.

I can't say I like the look of the cooks either though, something about those hats.

2 hours ago, JacctheInsomniac said:

I can't say I like the look of the cooks either though, something about those hats.

It's funny because I love the aesthetic of the cooks minor. I can't even explain why! I also agree with you in your OP about the strength of diversity in this game and their models. Holy crap do they succeed big time to my mind on this. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion and as such all are entitled to theirs but I'm always interested to see people who just hate the aesthetic or idea behind x or y and their justification for such. Seems like we have as diverse a bunch of players and Steamfroged has created models and that's great!

To the original question, I do love the KS Midas, and the frivolity of the alt sculpt Bolt. I'm a big fan of the LE Mist sculpt as well and I foolishly parted with lots of money for it instead of waiting to see if he came back around from SFG, because I liked it so much. I don't even have a team I can use him in! 

On 11/30/2018 at 6:52 PM, JacctheInsomniac said:

No arguments about your likes, but I'm not really opposed to the Miner's whole shtick. I'm not a big fan of the sculpts but I think the players fit right into GB's world

I think they do up the technology level by quite a bit, though. I mean, the Engineer's and Alch's robots and cyborg parts have this magic archaic look to them but the new Miner stuff is just kinda diesel punk -looking. It looks a bit jarring when the other guilds have almost no tech and then there's just a couple who look like they belong to a different genre altogether.

My favourite concept is probably Scalpel and my favourite mini might be vSpigot. There's a lot of superb designs, though, so kinda difficult to pick just one.