Sign in to follow this  
foolwiththefez

How do we use Colossus

Super casual player here. Had my first Season 4 game yesterday. Ballista Engineers took me to victory, technically. My opponent being on tilt probably helped more than anything. He fed me 12 free points of damage killing Mainspring after farming 4 or 5 MOM off of him. But that's a digression. I really want to ask the best uses for Colossus. I'm not sure I grok him fully.

Here's what I see:

Fairly mobile big guy. He can block charge lanes and provide Gang-ups/Crowding Outs easily. He soaks up a lot of attack but gives up a lot of Mom and allow for character plays to be triggered easily so a mixed bag there. 

Decent damage dealer if Tooled up and Overclocked by Salvo but no Mom generation on his damage results and doesn't reliably kill tough models even with a full 3 influence.

Singled out and Unexpected Arrival seem to be where the money is but I can't figure out the best use case for them. Singled Out seems odd on him. Who's he meant to be supporting with it? Who do you use as his kill partner? Is his ideal charge a wrap with Singled out, KD, and a one inch push for two moment? That'd be pretty sweet for free with overclock but still requires someone to come in and clean up. 

On the balling side, he does make a decent ball carrier with a solid kick and close control but his Def/Arm still makes it easy to take the ball from him. 

He's definatly a model that's all show and no go, IMO. With close control you think he'd make a good ball carrier, but he's way too easy to just knock down, which seems wierd for a giant spider cyborg. He doesn't have the range to be a reliable striker. Loosing his ability to grab a free ball from 2" away hurts him as a ball retriever. His low TAC and spread out play book hurts his beater role. 

I think he's still hanging on to the original concept of being the big guy who clears a lane for teh striker to run through, but I don't know if anybody ever used that tactic. 

I think what he needs is a higher TAC, and ditch close control, stoic and tough hide for resilience. That would make him more of teh monster the model is calling out for him to be. 

I'm running Colossus against Scalpel. She can't kill him in one go, she can't dodge from him and push him back. She gets at least a Singled Out in a counter attack, which is a nice setup.

Colossus is a set-up piece for another model (probably Ballista or Gutter or maybe Harriet) because he has easy access to KD and Singled Out and he’s a 50mm with 2“ Melee. He’s tough to kill and has good support tech, and in a pinch he can kill or make a goal run.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:42 AM, Celary said:

I'm running Colossus against Scalpel. She can't kill him in one go, she can't dodge from him and push him back. She gets at least a Singled Out in a counter attack, which is a nice setup.

Why would your opponent send Scalpel at him? 

On 11/30/2018 at 5:01 PM, Siberys said:

Colossus is a set-up piece for another model (probably Ballista or Gutter or maybe Harriet) because he has easy access to KD and Singled Out and he’s a 50mm with 2“ Melee. He’s tough to kill and has good support tech, and in a pinch he can kill or make a goal run.

Is this useful enough on the field? I'm just not sure I'm feeling him in my six. Maybe i should try him with Pin Vice

On 11/30/2018 at 6:01 PM, Siberys said:

He’s tough to kill and has good support tech, and in a pinch he can kill or make a goal run.

Hmmm, so maybe he's best used as a defender...?

I usually use him as forward combat support; he needs to be a little upfield to be in position to pivot to a goal or a kill if the opportunity presents itself. Usually I have C and Vet Velocity tag-team someone with Gutter or Ballista. He needs to be close to a fight to affect it with his support tech since he applies it by attacking.

On 12/2/2018 at 2:42 AM, foolwiththefez said:

Why would your opponent send Scalpel at him? 

That's the point. She can kill anyone else, so Colossus is the only one who is safe running in the field. And he can really set a kill. Also, he is a safe spot for the ball.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:15 PM, TheBriarfox said:

IMHO, he's a great choice into Alchemists. He has a hearty heath pool, and outside of Great Balls of Fire, alchs are going to have to really work to get the ball off of him. 

But you have to be careful. If he gets KDed by Kat, Mercury can easily get his Fire Blasts of him.