Celary

Minefield and failed charge

Lets say enemy Scalpel (3 HP left) is charging my Ballista (Minefield is up). If she comes within 4" of her target, she suffers TO condition and is removed from the pitch. Does it mean that Scalpel cannot angage Ballista and can charge in any direction?

Yes. She declares the target and then charges in a straight line, but it does not have to be toward the target.... it can be in any direction.

No I assume. Your question is not 100% certain.

If she declares a charge on Ballista and can engage him, she have to. Independently from Minefield. So dying in the attempt.

If she declares a charge and can't reach Ballista but can reach the minefield she can charge in any direction.

But the reason you die during the charge (minefield, trap,...) doesn't make it a failed charge.

4 hours ago, Celary said:

Lets say enemy Scalpel (3 HP left) is charging my Ballista (Minefield is up). If she comes within 4" of her target, she suffers TO condition and is removed from the pitch. Does it mean that Scalpel cannot angage Ballista and can charge in any direction?

No. It is possible for Scalpel's movement to end with her engaging Ballista, even if doing so will result in her being taken out.

My advice would be not to charge Ballista.

3 minutes ago, MilitaryCoo said:

No. It is possible for Scalpel's movement to end with her engaging Ballista, even if doing so will result in her being taken out.

My advice would be not to charge Ballista.

Does this mean that Scalpel is not taken out by the damage from minefield until the end of her advance?

If Scalpel is taken out by Minefield as soon as she advances to within 4" of Ballista, how can she end her advance engaging him?  Does the "If able" portion of "If able, it must end the advance engaging the target enemy model." (season 4 rulebook page 13) not consider the damage from Minefield when deciding if engagement is possible?

23 hours ago, MilitaryCoo said:

No.

Could you say why?

Minefield triggers on models entering the aura. It doesn't say that entering model suffers damage when the advance ends. Also Taken Out description says that when a model is reduced to 0 HP, it is removed from the pitch.

Does any known effect apply to failure to pre measure. Say I declare a charge and my opponent spends momentum. I then realize I'm an inch short to make engagement.

Does that mean that I can charge in any direction? Not forcing myself to go towards the model and kind of trading an activation for some of my opponents momentum?

5 hours ago, doublecheese said:

Does any known effect apply to failure to pre measure. Say I declare a charge and my opponent spends momentum. I then realize I'm an inch short to make engagement.

Does that mean that I can charge in any direction? Not forcing myself to go towards the model and kind of trading an activation for some of my opponents momentum?

Distance is a known element that causes the charge to fail.  There's no rule that says you can't take a defensive stance or counter attack in response to the declaration of a charge that can't possibly succeed.  In some situations, it is the correct play to do so.  For example, Cosset might charge Mercury who she can't reach and the Alchemist player might be wise to spend momentum so as to avoid the effects of Riger Mortis on a later activation.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:07 PM, MechMage said:

During a navigator's launch event, does the random movement caused by water spouts count as a known effect?

If a charge without touching the spout can reach the target model, then that path must be taken.

If the only legal charge path(s) to the target would touch the spout, or if a spout is reachable that would allow the model to complete the charge, then the model must move through the spout and resolve the random effects.  The controlling player must choose a scatter-spot that allows a chance for the charge to succeed if it is possible to do so.

If after resolving the random effects and any remaining advance it is not possible to reach the target, then the charge fails and the activation ends immediately.

The remainder of the advance must be taken along the same vector as the initial advance.