Csonti

Goal Kick lands on a barrier

We got a situation where a goal kick landed on a barrier and we are not sure about the interpretation of the rules.

under Goal Kicks:
During a goal kick, the ball path may be drawn through terrain pieces. If the ball would end on top of a barrier or an obstruction, use the rule of least disturbance to place the ball along the ball path in contact with the terrain piece.

under Conventions of Play
The rule of least disturbance generally applies only when attempting to place the ball. It means players must place the ball (or model, if relevant) as close to the correct location as is possible without moving or disturbing any other models, markers, or terrain pieces on the pitch.

So the question is: which position should be the ball placed in the attached picture? The one that is closest to the correct location (A), or the one that is "along the ball path" is the closest legal spot (B)? Or maybe a third place?

ball_scatter.jpg

Ok, let's spice this up a little more with Crucible and Naja getting in the way.

ball_scatter_2.jpg.b05412b4d53e2ea981f9658167bf3990.jpg

Where will the ball land? There is no point where you could place it on the ball path and in base contact with the terrain.

I'm pressing this because I would like to see the intent behind this "along the ball path" part which I find very vague. 

Ball is on D

30 minutes ago, Csonti said:

Ok, let's spice this up a little more with Crucible and Naja getting in the way.

ball_scatter_2.jpg.b05412b4d53e2ea981f9658167bf3990.jpg

Where will the ball land? There is no point where you could place it on the ball path and in base contact with the terrain.

I'm pressing this because I would like to see the intent behind this "along the ball path" part which I find very vague. 

I'd go with C.

The RoLD (or how I've always understood it) says you move the ball back towards the goal until it clears the obstacle (original B location).

If at that point the ball cannot be placed because of models or tokens, you find the closest location that is available, which in this case would be C, or maybe somewhere sliggtly left of D, in contact with Cutlass...

I've always had an impression that this has been worded awkwardly and the original intent was for you to 'place the ball in base contact with the barrier along the ball path and then use the rule of least disturbance'. Thus you'd end up with:

Qn04OpP.jpg

Otherwise, you could see some weird situations when instead of a reasonable 'green' final ball position, you get the 'red' one (if you apply 'along the ball path') :

qoqDmUf.jpg

Is this thread still under consideration by the ruling team? It would be nice to get a ruling about the above, more complicated situations. From the answers of the community, it looks like the rule is not that straightforward to implement. Thanks!