Sign in to follow this  
Malritch

Best Wishes for SteamCon UK attendees!

Just a simple wish to all who are going to make the big show this weekend.... to have the best time ever! Luck, Learning, and Laughter to you all...I'll be following along from afar as best I can.

So jealous!

Cheers

3 hours ago, Malritch said:

Just a simple wish to all who are going to make the big show this weekend.... to have the best time ever! Luck, Learning, and Laughter to you all...I'll be following along from afar as best I can.

So jealous!

Cheers

Thank you buddy :)

Here's some of the news that I can remember ...

Free cities draft: Farmers - Amber, Alchemists - Kami, Butchers - Layne, Hunters - Edge, Morticians - Gaffer, Blacksmiths - Cutlass, Masons- Champ, Fishermans - Knuckles, Engineers - Nomad, Brewers - Flea. Models are expected to be sold individually (like rookies) not in sixes.

Mat Hart said that Edge was Skatha's sister, unless he was joking!

Organized play models: There's a new organized play pack coming out with "blind box" prizes. We've previously seen that two of the models out of four in the packs will be alt sculpts of Iron and Ikaros. It was revealed that the other two will be alt sculpts of Ploughman and Windfinder (holding a treasure chest). Windfinder would be the most rare. Jamie Perkins said tournament organizers could give prizes not just to tournament winners, but eg. to best-painted, most sporting etc.

Design-a-model: The design-a-model seminar was focused on creating a new squaddie for the entertainers, the brewers minor guild. The entertainers are a team that portray the heroes of the Guild Ball world (season one captains), so the members can be versions of people like Blackheart (designed at Steamcon US), Ballista, Midas, Obulus, Shark. Attendees designed a female version of Shark. The idea is that Shark's footballing/dodging skills are portrayed by the entertainers by an acrobatic/dancer entertainer to represent his movement and skill with the ball. This acrobatic skill was developed with the idea of vaulting over enemy players ... a sort of teleport/placement effect. Hints from Sherwin that "kid" Blackheart might be aged a little to a more teenage version.

On the story side, hints that a major manipulator in the Guild Ball world will get his come-uppance in the season 4 story. And dark times ahead for the brewers ... so dark it made the editor gasp. First part of that story due out next week.

Miners/Lamplighters: More players for miners, including Spade and Fissure ... (a woman driving a digger tank), as well as a mascot mole. Meanwhile, the lamplighters confirmed as the minor guild for alchemists.

Print-on-demand service for cards expected operational within weeks. The company hoping to get its production back-on-track after a difficult year. Resident Evil pledges should be shipping soon, resin teams back on track soon, working on Dark Souls wave three.

There were some great offers on teams in the Steam Con sale. This was billed as early access to the Black Friday sale, so these deals may be coming to the webstore soon. It was possible to pick up models including the launch pack (rat and falconer) versions of Bonesaw, Graves, Egret, Hearne etc. Mat said "don't pay £100 for models on ebay" and it was hinted that launch pack/tournament models released next year could get a similar limited release at a later point. Mat and Russ also planning a charity special model from Russ's Dungeons & Doggies project. Still hopes to release a book collecting the Guild Ball stories at some point, again in relation to charity. This may wait until the first "five season story arc" is completed and Sherwin can pull all the stories back together, re-edit seamlessly. There's also some kind of introductory pack planned that would contain a printed rulebook. Not sure exactly what this is ... Kick Off 2, a rulebook and a cardboard pitch (then buy your own teams), or something else?

New model at the event was alt sculpt resin Fathom. Alt sculpt Seenah also available (as at Steam Con US). Broken Toad had a range of (now) licensed bases, and a new bust of Ballista. Their obstacles etc. should be out for retail in the future. The All Rolled Up team had added dice trays for the masons and working their way through other guilds. De Tinnen Roos, who make miniatures for Steamforged, showcased a kickstarter alt version of chess.

Hopes that Godtear will go big next year. Lots of interest from games distributors. There's a special organized play model going to be released for attendees at Godtear events ... a sort of princess with pet dragons. Steamforged have also got lots of new licences to work on next year to add to Dark Souls, Resident Evil and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Organized play-pack prizes ... Ploughman and Windfinder:

hOqLtVB.jpg?1

Miners guild Spade:

gVj9EI3.jpg?1

Miners guild Fissure:

vlCXGYd.jpg?1

Miners guild Digger:

dOyYe8L.jpg?1

New resin sculpt of Fathom, plus resin butchers/fish next year:

5jyje5d.jpg?1

Other SFG projects include new robot combat game:

FDfInBD.jpg?1

Miners looking cool, Shark looks good (shame she's in the Entertainers), also interested in Redline. Hoping it's nice and simple, more board game like.

Had a go at the Redline demo - soooo excited for it, though if it goes to Kickstarter it'll be 2020 before it's out!  :(   It had a hex arena, like God Tear, so yes, a board game.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:26 PM, Grenoir said:

It had a hex arena, like God Tear, so yes, a board game.

Would you describe God Tear as a board game? That's certainly not my impression of it. How similar to God Tear is Redline?

Personally I would say God Tear, on a hex based board, is a board game (much as I would for Shadespire, Aristeia, Blood Bowl).  You need a specific printed play area for play, you can't just play it on a blank surface.  (I realise GB straddles this nicely by needing the few pitch lines but otherwise having free direction of movement in any increment of inches).

I think there are some similarities to God Tear with the play area style, though it has a hint of Shadespire with some card decks; an influence mechanic (a bit more like Warmahordes than GB); and coloured, scaling dice, similar to Aristeia.  I nice melange, blending cool aspects of many games, plus some brilliant looking models.