Sign in to follow this  
Rammer

Within Defintion

Hello everyone, 

I have a quick question about the "within" term used in the rules and want to make sure we are playing it right in games (we have a completely new group of four players). 

This boils down to what within means in the rules. A model being within an AOE just has to be partially in for the effect to occur correct?

For example, Sakana has the Character Play Smoke Bomb, creating a 3" AOE on the field that gives cover to models within the AOE. Shark and Sakana were just under 3" from each other in game. I placed the AOE so that it was just covering a sliver of each model's base. In the given case, both Shark and Sakana would be receiving cover from the AOE, even though their bases are not completely within the AOE, correct?

The other time this came up in the same game was when Grange was using his Legendary, Huge Tracts of Land. This places 2 harvest markers within a 6" pulse. My opponent could place the harvest markers 6" away from Grange, even though just a sliver of the base is actually in the Aura correct?

Basically, does "within" mean only a portion of the base is within the Aura, Range, or AOE no matter what the effect is and not completely within the given range? Is there any exceptions to this if that is true?

'Within' is defined on page 9 of the rulebook as:

A model, marker, or template is within a given distance when any part of the base or template is within that given distance, including touching.

A model only has to be touching the base/template/aura/etc to be within.

Both examples above sound like they were played correctly.

There is also a definition for 'completely within' which is:

A model, marker, or template is completely within a given distance when the entire base or template is within that given distance, including touching.

Completely within is only used during deployment (page 7).

Great to hear! 

Thank you for the clarification and for pointing out the section it is defined in the rulebook. I must have missed it when I went through it during the game!