Sign in to follow this  
DoctorD

Blacksmith matchup, help wanted.

What would one play, and how, into blacksmiths?

Tried out Smoke, Flask, vCalculus, Crucible, Venin, Vitriol. Played poorly as the inexperienced player I am, but ended up 0-12... And now, I'm at a loss (figuratively and literally) what to do. I'm thinking swapping Crucible or Vitriol for Mercury for some extra fire and to reduce threat ranges? Or getting OKatalyst in there to knock someone down to enable Venin to deal some damage?

Any ideas or feedback is welcome, I'm just curious how to best play into a goal threatening (with Alloy) team that has excellent damage and good armor. Just give away first goal to Alloy and try to play cagey and stay away? Or go for some kind of ranged game perhaps?

So I played into Blacksmiths at an event the other day. Smoke, Flask, veteran Calculus, Crucible, Mercury, Venin vs Anvil, Sledge, Farris, Alloy, Furnace, veteran Cinder. The game ended a fairly comfortable win for the Alchemists 12-4. 

I think the trick is to victimise the Apprentices. Alloy having 12 health means that Smoke can 1-round him (3 x Infuse + Legendary). Put 4 influence on Venin and make use of Coagulate and he can easily account for 12-13 health. Even the Masters become viable targets after a couple of rounds of 3 condition damage. Oddly, despite all the armour, Alchemists can probably outlast Blacksmiths in a grind because of the condition damage. Any Burning that's put on Alchemists players can be used to fuel abilities likes Reduction or Great Balls of Fire. In a lot of cases, if the Blacksmiths get the conditions, they most likely are stuck with them for a turn.

The other thing is to make sure you have viable goal threats that they need to respect. Veteran Calculus can manufacture a goal out of nowhere, and Crucible can certainly set one up. It makes it much harder for them to set up all the Apprentices if they have to plan for your strikers stealing the ball as well as trying to counter the condition game.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm just really worried by the ability of blacksmiths to build a lot of momentum as soon as they get into one of my models. And with them being able to one round my players with like 4-5 momentum gain and I'm at zero cause of character plays to setup the conditions they can just heal back up.

I'm thinking just accepting an Alloy goal on turn 1 if I kick, try to avoid giving him a charge target (which is pretty hard considering he threatens 20" non linear with Iron and Hearth) to ensure he can't build lots of momentum and dodge 8" after scoring. Then attempt to setup turn 2 to nuke him with character plays, I guess? And not get devastated by vCinder in the process...

18 hours ago, PanzerHarris said:

So I played into Blacksmiths at an event the other day. Smoke, Flask, veteran Calculus, Crucible, Mercury, Venin vs Anvil, Sledge, Farris, Alloy, Furnace, veteran Cinder. The game ended a fairly comfortable win for the Alchemists 12-4. 

I think the trick is to victimise the Apprentices. Alloy having 12 health means that Smoke can 1-round him (3 x Infuse + Legendary). Put 4 influence on Venin and make use of Coagulate and he can easily account for 12-13 health. Even the Masters become viable targets after a couple of rounds of 3 condition damage. Oddly, despite all the armour, Alchemists can probably outlast Blacksmiths in a grind because of the condition damage. Any Burning that's put on Alchemists players can be used to fuel abilities likes Reduction or Great Balls of Fire. In a lot of cases, if the Blacksmiths get the conditions, they most likely are stuck with them for a turn.

The other thing is to make sure you have viable goal threats that they need to respect. Veteran Calculus can manufacture a goal out of nowhere, and Crucible can certainly set one up. It makes it much harder for them to set up all the Apprentices if they have to plan for your strikers stealing the ball as well as trying to counter the condition game.

Same idea with the Masons. Smiths are actually pretty squishy once you get through the armor, and condition damage does exactly that.