Sign in to follow this  
THE_DOJO_MIKE

Season 4 results

After playing many different guilds for quite some time, I have become intrigued with season 4 farmers. So far I have had success with both captains and currently sitting at a 5-0 record. I have played alchs twice butchers twice and morticians once. Setting up HM is easier than ever with the buffs to ploughman and jackstraw and the reapers really do a lot without having to remove them too often. The teams I have had success into have also been glass cannon types so I am wondering how I will do into Brewer hefty lineups and a lot of tough hide. Just seeing what everyone else thought. 

Happy Planting!

I've only played into Esters Brewers so far - used Grange there. It was a tough game and I think it would have been harder if I used Thresher. Due to Esters and Mash having Resilience there was a bit of wasted INF, and had I used Thresher I'm sure my opponent would have taken Pint Pot to add another model with it. Leaving Friday with a Spigot nearby (for DEF 5 ARM 1) and Quaff (Loved Creature). 

I had to go the slow slog way using the fact that I have more INF to plink the Resilience away to allow the reapers to do their thing.

I've only had favourable match ups so far, so things have gone relatively well. I'm sure something like Hunters or Butchers (or the dreaded Navigators 😫) will ruin it for me.

While there might have been a couple of nerfs here and there, the team feels much better to play now!

I’ve only gotten three S4 games in.  3-0 as of now.  Went against Corsair Fish, Ratcatchers, and Skatha Hunters.  Played Grange in the Fish game and Thresher in the other two.

Farmers definitely operate more smoothly this season, which is fun.  They don’t need as many harvest markers as before, run a great anti-condition game, gained an advantage in tempo compared to their S3 version, and have a lot of versatility between playing for take outs, playing for goals, playing offensively or defensively.

I kind of wish Thresher had a better way to use a harvest marker besides Crow Scarer, and Grange got more boring, although he’s effective at what he wants to do.  From my experience so far, I feel like the guild is in a great spot.  Time will tell as I get into playing against other players/guilds.

Took a weird list against morts yesterday and did not care for it even though I pulled it out. Grange, buckwheat, jack, bushel, windle, and tater. Really missed ploughman and the extra harvest markers/ control of rough ground. Ended the game with 1 goal and 2 take outs with 4 clock points. Felt dirty but with all my HP and the high risk of the goal run, I decided to use the clock to my benefit. 

How is everyone else doing in S4?

More games under my belt now. Blacksmiths, Brewers, Hunters, Union and Alchemists so far - yet to lose a game so far but I expect that to change soon!

My general-ish 6's so far have been either

Grange, Peck, Jackstraw, Millstone, Tater & Windle

Thresher, Peck, Jackstraw, Ploughman, Millstone & Fallow

I used Harrow once in one of the first games but haven't since. Is anyone else finding him to be a hard sell for the team now? He's not bad, but it just seems all the other planters provide something more useful.

29 minutes ago, Calum Todd said:

I used Harrow once in one of the first games but haven't since. Is anyone else finding him to be a hard sell for the team now? He's not bad, but it just seems all the other planters provide something more useful.

In my experience Harrow is very important in the Alchemist match up due to the healing aura (basically negating 2/3 of their condition damage over several turns is huge) and MT (to reach them in case of stand off).

I would also consider them against Guild where a stand off is plausible, for example Butchers. But this is theory, as my experience against them in S4 is limited and I didn't play Harroy then.

Yeah I can see him being useful there. So far my opponents have been aggressive with their play style so there's not been many stand offs - possibly why I've not lost so far. Charging head first into Grange's murder-dungeon isn't the best strategy.

Harrow is also very good vs Brewers and other lineups with a lot of Resilience, since Marked target is by far our best tool to remove that. He is a tech choice for sure, but in the right matchups he is great.

Sorry guys. I'm way too green when it comes to Farmers to get what you're saying.

Grange's murder dungeon? His abilities seem more geared toward defense with Constitution and Help 'em out, and even the second effect of his Legendary.

As for Harrow, how does a +2 movement remove Resilience, unless you simply mean more chance to gang up on people? Do you mean the ability 'Resilience' on Esters, Mash, and Pintpot through his Heroic, or simply that they are tough overall?

52 minutes ago, mbdeyes said:

As for Harrow, how does a +2 movement remove Resilience, unless you simply mean more chance to gang up on people? Do you mean the ability 'Resilience' on Esters, Mash, and Pintpot through his Heroic, or simply that they are tough overall?

I mean the ability Resilience, yes. It ignores the next attack or character play that hits, and since Marked target is an offensive character play you can use it on an enemy and if it hits, it is ignored and ”uses up” Resilience, meaning you won’t have to waste attacks to trigger it later. And since Marked target only costs one influence and can be used several times and from a distance, it is a very efficient way to remove Resilience.

1 hour ago, mbdeyes said:

Grange's murder dungeon? His abilities seem more geared toward defense with Constitution and Help 'em out, and even the second effect of his Legendary.

Not so much the damage he does himself (though he can put out some hurt if necessary) but how much he can bog the enemy down with KD and his defensive tech*, making it hard to get away from Farmers in some cases and then the reapers do their thing.

*Close Ranks can really punish the opponents TAC meaning they might struggle to get any playbook dodges or pushes they'd want. The easy KD makes counter attack great. With some careful Harvest Marker placement you can make it so the opponent can't effectively push you away meaning they're still stuck with Grange beside them threatening a KD or just ganging up.

Let me ask you guys this wat is our gameplan normally as I feel it:

-  Alchemists 4-1
-  Blacksmiths 2-2
-  Brewers 2-2
-  Butchers 2-2
-  Engineers 4-1
-  Falconers 4-1/2-2
-  Farmers 2-2
-  Fisherman 4-1
-  Hunters 4-1
-  Masons 4-1/2-2
-  Morticians 4-1/2-2
-  Navigators 4-1
-  Order 4-1
-  Ratcathcers 4-1
-  Union 4-1/2-2

I have been looking into ways to get at esters (theoretical because no brewer players in meta) but I have thought that Harrow would be a good answer. I didn't really think about it for alchs because my buddy played midas into me and I was able to go 2inch murder group and not worry about conditions. 

Went to an 11 man tournament this weekend and went 2-1

First round beat Alchs (thresher, peck, millstone, jack, tater, ploughman vs smoke, naja, Mercury, venin, compound, and crucible) I kicked off and made it difficult for him to score turn 1 and set up a killed on venin. Killed 2 models then he scores and I get the ball to thresher for a 6 point activation. The scatter goes perfectly to let smoke get in and out to score another goal. Then I will the last model to clean it up. Felt pretty in control the whole game.

2nd was Mort's (thresher buckwheat tater windle, ploughman and jack vs obs, dirge, graves1, cosset, casket, and vet hemlock)
I kicked so I might tempt him to not play scalpel and it worked. He tried to set up a casket time, but I had enough models with KD early that walking away wasn't really an option. I was able to set the scrum and use mow down 4 or 5 times on turn 2 which really turned the game in my favor (hot dice here). Was able to kill several models and put a lot of damage out there with thresher and then heal up with all the momentum. He gets a goal to get to 6 and tater run away from his newly.returned squad while I set up the last kill and goal run by jack.

Last game was hunter
Same line up for farmers (change in peck)and skatha Fahad chaska, bear, zarola, vet minx 
He kicked I killed it off to the opposite side with peck. So at least it wouldnt be turn 1 goal. Managed distances really well I feel like. Tater charged minx and put a hurt on her but she was able to put blessing on chaska to get a rap to double push double push boom box tater off the pitch.... (Broken af if you ask me) 6-0 down I kill Fahad to make sure I start next turn. Kill skatha and set the scrum (jack is holding the ball in cover but close enough to goal run when he felt like it.) 
Kill the cat again and starting to take over. Thresher goes down to the bear making it 8-6. Bear uses his last influence to get to jack crowded out twice and in cover and gets to mf'ing KD. Scatter is as bad as it gets. Skatha scores next turn. Hunters are tough right now. They are so efficient and wierdly tanky.

Great tournament and farmers are a lot of fun!

Went to a 30 man tournament and went 3-1 finishing 4th

First Round vs Butchers (a beginning player) I Kicked off Tresher, Peck, Busheld, Millstone Windle, Jackstraw vs Ox, Princess, Boiler, Shanks, Boar, oBrisket,

- Kicked off with Tresher, he tried to kick the ball around and get his players forward but he failed 4/5 passed, he overextended Boiler/Ox/Boar.
- Tresher got into boar in the first round an left him on 3
- 2nd turn 1st activation took out boar and Ox (2x Don't Fear the...)
- Took out Princess and Boiler with Windle/Millstone
- As my opponent was feeling a little down I told him to stick to the game you never know how dice wil roll
- He scored with Shanks
- Scored with Tresher
- He scored with Brisket and was set-up to get the ball with Shanks
- Took out Boar with Windle to Win 13-8
- Told him to never give up too soon as people can make mistakes and just look how close he got if I wiifed the last attacks on Boar he actually won (mental note to self don't be too kind on tournaments

Second round vs Alchemists, I received Grange,Peck,Windle,Ploughman,Tater,Harrow vs Smoke, Flask, Crucible, Vitriol, vCalculus, Venin.
- Peck got the ball and ran away from everybody
- He overextended Venin so could take him out with Grange + Windle which set me up for the coming turns
- Took out VCalculus
- Took out Vitriol
-  Took out Smoke
-  Scored with Windle to win 12-0
Alchemist vs Farmers is not a fun match-up for the Alchemists.

Third round vs Alchemists, I received Grange,Peck,Windle,Ploughman,Tater,Harrow vs Smoke, Flask, Mercury , Vitriol, oCalculus, oKatalyst
- As we were facing a stalemate he kept his distance with his models I kicked the ball to Grange and dodged him 4" forward to give him the opportunity to score the 1st goal to get the game going.
- He took the "bait"  and when with Vitriol
- Vitriol missed...
- Took out 5 Alchemists
- He scored with Vitiriol who came back
- Took out the last Alchemist to win 12-4
Alchemist vs Farmers is not a fun match-up for the Alchemists.

Fourth round vs Morts, I received Grange,Peck,Windle,Ploughman,Tater, Harrow vs Scalpel, Dirge, Cosset, Casket, vHemlocke, oGraves
- I screwed the pooch here got overconfident with Grange, should have went with Tresher for my own playstyle
- My dice were semi cold his were semi to hot (only missed some character plays)
- Pretty unhappy with myself for that game could have won (score was 5-10) and had a countercharge on Scalpel which already moved and had no momentum (but didn't see that he had no momentum) so should have went for the mow down (would have been my saving grace)
- If I did the mow down on Scalpel would have lost a 6 inf activation and I could prevent her to kill Windle for the game
- Dirge and cosset were near after coming up back on the table so in theory I had a 3-5 point activation with Windle
- Afterwards his fighting abillity would be down and could have won on the clock was 00:15 vs 15:14 so I had the time.
- Lost 5-12

Overall 4th out of 30 is really not bad as I see were we finished as the Dutch guys at a Belgium tournament Morticians guy that beat me came up second :) so we had 2 Dutch guys in the top 5.

What did I learn:

- Use the clock to my  advantage in my last match again this could have saved me.
- Alchemist vs Farmers is not a fun match-up for the Alchemists.
- Don't be afraid to concede a first goal (played fisherman a lot and then it's hard to get back)

Just got done with a 19 person tournament this weekend and finished 2nd. First round beat scalpel with thresher, peck, tater, jack, plough, and millstone 12-9.  2nd round got a fish player (really good player and I haven't had experience against them). Took thresher, peck (just in case he dropped corsair)jack, ploughman, harrow, and tater. He missed a kick that would have allowed a snap back for a 12-8 game but instead ended up 12-4. Jack held onto the ball for most of the game and then the farmers just killed whatever came close. 3rd round was a tough matchup vs a very skilled scalpel player (since season 2). dropped thresher and same lineup as game one. He scored with bonesaw needing 5's down a dice and then I killed bonesaw. He setup ploughman to kill and I rearranged to score and get another kill. I score to early and the scatter take it directly to cosset who scores. This means a need a 6 point activation or a way to get any combo of 6 points and not give up the last 2. He plays seize and I play lone striker but thanks to the screamer by cosset, he wins. I make it hard for him to go after anyone by dodging Tater to engage scalpel. Graves goes and puts damage on thresher and tools up scalpel. thresher goes and cant get the take out and goal but could do one or the other. Instead I set up the kill and steal the ball from dirge. He proceeds to kill millstone trivially. 12-6 loss

Last game was against a really good player playing union for the 1st tournament. super close game that came down to a few scatters and time outs. Rage vs thresher in an all out war. 

Great tournament and lots of fun. Still trying to figure out how to unlock scalpel at this point.   

@THE_DOJO_MIKECould you provide the last model the second Mortician player brought along? I'm guessing vHemlocke?

Quite the agressive line-up, with Bonesaw. Did he do more than get that first goal? I've considered him as well, but thought Casket would be the better pick to turn off Counter Charges. Your ideas?

(This seems like me trying to figure out Spooks stuff, but I'm actually trying to help you figure out a valid strategy against them as a Spooks player myself. Just need to know his playstyle 😉)

scalpel, dirge, graves, bonesaw, vet hemlock, cosset. It had a lot of movement shenanigans for a 2-2 game which is what this player is known for.

Bonesaw scored and then got jailed by tater and peck to be killed turn 2. The early goal gave him a lot of tempo and put me back on my heels more than i was anticipating but in the future I will not allow that if I can remember. Casket is probably the better call but boesaw caught me.