Sign in to follow this  
m.jäger

Are Rats to hard to begin with?

Hello catchergirls and boys. My name is Markus and I play rats. I like the models, i like the Piper idea. But i think i am too stupid to get to the core of this team. This team is now about controlling and football. I like to play Bonesaw and Skulk. I dont get VGraves to work and Miasma is like doing nothing for me. In every article i read ppl say, that Miasma is always MVP and VGraves is an autopick. Normally i would just say, that i have to "get gud" and play and play and play. But before is do this, should i start with another guild? Morts maybe to have more options? Or just play an "easier" guild. But what is an easier guild? What is a "better" guild? I have real problems to put my gameplan on the table because my opponent can ruin it very easily. Like pinning Bonesaw, killing the ball or just killing my players. When i cannot get my Bonesaw-reverie-goals to work i kinda loose. 

So my question: is the team to hard for a beginner or just keep playing? what are morts like? 

my options are: order, hunter or morts. 

It took a while before they started to click with me with how they wanted to play. But other than haunting melody being a bit of brain wrinkler sometimes, they have no real difficult interactions, but I would not call them an easy team no. 

Don't fret too hard on what other people say to swear by. Myself I haven't gotten that good of a use of new graves either, he just doesn't really fit with how I want to play. And Miasma can be huge value with her salve if you get yourself diseased up, but she is the easiest to take out, so she shouldn't be too near the front lines. 

In general rats are the best when momentum is low on both sides (I.e there is not a full on scrum yet), and you can start to dictate a more bit with disease + kd. 

They are not the best fighters in a scrum either because of rather low tac being sensitive to armor and crowd outs, and they are quite flimsy themselves. 

So try to be a little stand offish and go late in the turns, and try to get the opponent split up/isolated with help of Piper/Squeak, and try to play for some kd+disease control. Don't be afraid to use reverie for just the movement on Scourge/Pelage too.

But in the end, if you find Rats to be an interesting puzzle, keep at it :) that is what keeps me around playing them - it never gets repetitive for me. But sometimes even I take some time off to play say brewers or butchers where you can relax the brain a bit more and just run screaming at the other team with big sticks. 

ok first thank you. i think my main problem is, that i dont see the tasks a model has on the field. like bonesaw it is clear, that he needs to score. scourge needs to smack. VGraves is very hard for me to understand. Piper is like everything controlling and footballing. but yeah, i stick a little bit more to the guys. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:58 AM, m.jäger said:

ok first thank you. i think my main problem is, that i dont see the tasks a model has on the field. like bonesaw it is clear, that he needs to score. scourge needs to smack. VGraves is very hard for me to understand. Piper is like everything controlling and footballing. but yeah, i stick a little bit more to the guys. 

That's just game sense, and that just comes from experience both in learning what your models can do and what the other teams will usually try to do. 
After a match, win or lose, I always like to ask what I could have done better. After all, your opponent knows better than anyone what you could have changed to make things more difficult. I started with Alchs and it was a dozen or so games before I really started to understand some of the nuance, and even then that was just me starting to see it, not even beginning to master it. Stick with it. I just grabbed them myself and I'm excited to try and figure them out too. 

12 minutes ago, TheBriarfox said:

That's just game sense, and that just comes from experience both in learning what your models can do and what the other teams will usually try to do. 
After a match, win or lose, I always like to ask what I could have done better. After all, your opponent knows better than anyone what you could have changed to make things more difficult. I started with Alchs and it was a dozen or so games before I really started to understand some of the nuance, and even then that was just me starting to see it, not even beginning to master it. Stick with it. I just grabbed them myself and I'm excited to try and figure them out too. 

yeah thats in every game i think. u cannot think u master a team from day one. maybe some teams are easier and others are not. i just thought before i put in my effort in learning this guild i should swap to a "higher" tier? but i just stick because piper is the real master of puppets.

They have a high skill ceiling, sure, but the payoff if you stick with them is pretty cool. All the models are great. We don't really have any barkers. 

As a new player myself, I don't feel like the rats are that hard a starter team (provided you're in tune with their playstyle). I've only played a few games, but my only loss was my very first game.

From my perspective, here is a rundown of players roles on the field

Piper: Enable shenanigans. Piper is usually getting 5 or 6 INF. He likes late activations in the first turn to set up a reverie goal. Depending on pitch state, an early activation on turn 2 to get the most out of Pay the Piper

Squeak: Squeak isn't doing a lot unless you take v.Graves. Usually gets no INF unless I'm looking to clean up a straggler that I don't want to waste my other players on. Use her for crowd outs. If she's attacked, I usually counter for the possibility of a dreadful shriek.

Miasma: Softens targets & hands out salves. Miasma is built to spread around conditions. 2 INF for Rataclysm or Erupting spores. Keeping her in, or at least near the scrum to hand out free condition removals  & -1 Tac to opposing diseased models is big.

Pelage: INF battery, soften targets, possible take outs. Of the squaddies in the box, Pelage feels like the least impactful. Don't get me wrong, I love her & she's no slouch, just most likely to be benched because everyone else is killing it. She is can be effective with 0 INF due to the back of her card; I usually give her at least 1 for singled out. Bear in mind she is a bit squishy at only 10 health.

Scourge: Take outs. Getting enemy models off the pitch is what Scourge does. Use him later in the turn after others have softened people up. He's also fairly resilient with tough hide & Snack Break.

Skulk: Breaking up enemy goal runs. I think Skulk is a good first activation turn 1, especially if you're kicking. Why? Because Skulk is designed to do a lot outside his activation. Give him 2 INF for Horrific Odour & Pest Control and that 1st turn goal run gets a lot more dicey.  When receiving, he's also not an awful choice for ball retrieval. Also has T on 2 & KD on 4, plus a free counter.

V.Graves: Buffing Squeak, holding the ball. I don't have Graves or Bonesaw yet, but this seems to be where Graves fits. Trading 1 MOM for 2 INF on Squeak makes the mascot better. Close control & T on 1 should help him keep the ball until you're ready to make a run. Plus another 2" melee model isn't a bad thing

Bonesaw: Goals. Everything I've read says this is what he is made for. Combining his kit with Piper can become downright nasty.

I try for a 2-2 game, usually an early score, then a take out. By the time I'm ready for goal 2, someone else is near dead. A Piper take out (for the MOM) + Reverie  goal seals the deal.