alopex

Speed buff in S4

I believe the most important change for S4 is the speed factor they introduced, especially for the mediocre players like me. Due to the buffing on the football part, most teams now have at least 1 player with a 1 turn goal possibility. Friday I witnessed a game between Fisherman and the Order. Turn 1 for both players, get a momentum, run and score, giving it 8-4 at the end of the turn. Second turn the same, in nearly 1 hour it was  finished 12-8, leaving both players frustrated. No tactics, no thinking, no real setting up, no possibility to do anything against it.

A side effect is that teams needing the mid to late game to shine become unplayable because the mid and late game is no longer an option.

For me GB has become an elite game. Top players not making mistakes will prosper even more now. Where S3 was allowing players that made a mistake to correct for small errors, this is no longer the case.

Just my 2 cents on S4. :(

Trading goals in the way you describe has always been a part of Guildball, in my experience.  Played that way, the game is decided primarily by who scores the first goal, secondarily by someone failing 80%+ dice check.  It’s an artifact of the “first to 12” win condition, and why real sports play either for a set time period or have a minimum points threshold to determine the winner.

Whichever player finds them self behind on points can’t just mash in goals blindly and expect to win.  Note: if you’re putting in a goal to “tie” the score in the situation you describe you’re still losing.  Giving up possession of the ball is the same as being down 4 poits.  Which means you can’t score second unless you know you can either take back the ball before your opponent scores or you’ve already tied the game with 2 take outs, making the goal a true go-ahead moment.

So yeah, it isn’t a season four thing, but I agree with your general point: finishing with a final score of 12-8 after playing I-Score-You-Score feels like a waste of time because the entire game (barring catastrophic dice) is decided by the first goal.

In S3 it was an advantage to receive but most teams needed at least an entire turn to set up and to score in the second turn. The opponent had the possibility to create some kind of defensive line. This is no longer possible. Almost all guilds have somebody able to score from the second activation. Get the ball, pass to your super attacker for the momentum needed and go for it. The opponent can not do anything against it. Being 4-0 down after 2 minutes game without any hope on doing something against it is not a great motivator.

Some teams have super kickoff pressure. Skatha, for instance. I almost have nothing I can do to keep the ball besides kicking to the wing and hope I get it far enough away from her.  I feel like receiving teams have a real disadvantage now.

Usually when you receive and want to play the ball, you prefer not go for the goal run too early. You farm momentum and go for goal run last activation, score, then activat first and try to score again, or at least get the ball back. Trying to play the ball just by going as fast as you can make you too much in danger of failing one lone pass or goal kick.

When you kick, you either want to go and score in the 2 first activation, get the ball back very fast, or let the other score and never let him see the ball again. The opponent can most of the time dodge away from the threat and control it to at least avoir it getting the ball.

It is harder to really play the ball than most people seems to think. ^^' And scoring a goal don't help you so much getting another, where killing people help you whatever you want to do.

Learning where to kickoff at, to either apply pressure or, make it very difficult to score turn one is part of getting better as a player. A lot of people in my meta drop the ball over the midline and choose to apply pressure on kickoff. Several metas around us corner kick and play keep away for the first 2 turns. Knowing that your opponent has to burn 3-4 influence and might have to make a dodge in order to get into scoring range is important. If you receive, knowing your own guilds weakness and where they might kick too will help determine how to line up your models. I love the changes to season 4 and it makes me think that there is still room to grow.