Hello all, 

I just starting playing Guild Ball a few months ago and picked up the Fisherman as my main guild. In looking at the Fish for S4, I have a few questions about some rules interactions that I want to make sure I am getting right. In particular, these revolve around Kraken. 

Kraken has two new traits for S4 Gravity Well and Protective Instinct. The questions revolves around what engagement means for models.

Gravity Well states "When an enemy model ends an advance engaging this model, the enemy model..." 

Protective Instinct states "While engaging this model, an enemy model can't..."

Here are the questions...

1. If Stave, who has a melee zone of 1", ends their advance within 2" of Kraken but out of 1", will Stave be pulled in by Gravity Well?

2. If Stave is out of 1" but still within 2" of Kraken, can he declare attacks against other models because he is not engaging Kraken (even if Kraken is engaging him)?

3. Is Gravity Well optional on my part or does it have to happen?

Thank you for the help on these questions!

1. No (Stave isn't engaging Kraken)

2. Yes (Stave isn't engaging Kraken)

3. Gravity Well isn't optional, but you decide how far you push the model - it can be infinitesimal, almost 0".

To clarify, a push can be exactly 0" if you want.  This is important because otherwise if you generate momentum off a playbook push on a base to base model, it couldn't end still base to base.

Correct conclusions. 

To answer the more fundamental question, a model is engaging an enemy model if the enemy model is within the model's melee zone, within line of sight, and the model is not Knocked Down.