Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Grimbald

V-Katalyst in Season 4 ?

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

 

after a few games with my Alchimist Season 4 I have to admit that the Alchimists are dealing out more dammage than I thought. Taking out 3 enemy models in turn number three only with smoke is amazing.

 

But I didnt get V-Katalyst in Season 4 is there any reason to take him instead of O-Katalyst ? I find him significant weaker than O-Katalyst, allowing my opponing to farm Momentum.

 

Have I missed something out on V-Katalyst ?

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theoretically, under idea circumstances, he does better area damage than anyone else in guild.  In practice, it's such a narrow margin that its overwhelmed by his victim defensive stats.  The niche that he used to fill was designed out of the game and what's left isn't worth the drawbacks that are still attached to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part Venin does everything V-Kat does but better, his raw output might be a shade lower but 4/1(2) is far more study than 2/1 with extra boxes

The change to Witness Me is situational at best as he'll most likely give away equal MP post takeout

Ground Pound is a trap as without a crowd out or two its shaky and then it hits your players and doesnt even generate Mom to assist in getting those you've just floored back up

A Reactive Solution  variant for extra net hits would go a long way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, can't see myself taking him now. Too glass cannon with not enough payout. Give him tough hide or empathy and I'd consider him.

It's annoying because I kind of need him in the 12 for the painting comps haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DanB said:

Yeah, can't see myself taking him now. Too glass cannon with not enough payout. Give him tough hide or empathy and I'd consider him.

It's annoying because I kind of need him in the 12 for the painting comps haha.

That's the double kicker, V-Kat may be my favourite GB model

15894570_1322346234453090_8725071785912774712_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a wicked good paint job. 

vKat was heavily the reason I bought into Alchemists so it's really sad to see him in this state. 

Also the main people I play with are highly competitive so it's just silly to take such a liability for the sake of the model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I really loved the vKat model as well. The terrible defensive stat-line is just too much of a liability making him a high risk model. The downside is he just isn't a high reward model with the new design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, Dandyman said:

That's the double kicker, V-Kat may be my favourite GB model

 

I feel your pain. This is the first time I've ever really painted anything, and the dude that came out the best is the one I'll never use 🤣
45469936_10105708089529845_5950568573180

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is better at Area damage then anyone in the guild but it just comes with way to much risk. I'd much rather have oKat KDing a model and taking them out. Its a shame because he used to have a high risk/reward that doesnt exist anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jynxed85 said:

He is better at Area damage then anyone in the guild but it just comes with way to much risk. I'd much rather have oKat KDing a model and taking them out. Its a shame because he used to have a high risk/reward that doesnt exist anymore. 

Yeah, he is the best AoE dmg, but not by a large margin. I'm not sure why his threat was toned down so much. Seenah, for Hunters, with the S4 buffs seems very similar to the role of old vKat (minus Witness Me) filled in that the model was a momentum farming sponge that has high damage/high threat. It seems they could have kept vKat truer to his old form as a variation of that, but they went the direction of making him a less threatening. Is Ground and Pound the trade-off for that? I don't think that ability is very good and oKat is just better if you want a model to KD stuff.

Thematically, vKat is a intimdiating model I liked how S3 vKat was scary for opponents. New vKat's kit seems much less intimidating. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still trying out vet Katalyst as I still believe he's the best 'focus' damage model we have. Unfortunately the teams he's best into, are also the ones that have fewest problems deleting him in return. 

Was given a stark lesson by Windle the other night. Katalyst charges Windle, does 13 damage across his activation. Windle one-rounds him in response. When Kat came back on I healed him and tried again with a couple of gang-ups. Slightly increased damage. He was still immediately taken back out again - a Windle counter-attack did 2 damage and Snack Break, a particular low point...

Have to admit I'm coming to the conclusion that he's not worth the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DrDoak said:

Yeah, he is the best AoE dmg, but not by a large margin. I'm not sure why his threat was toned down so much. Seenah, for Hunters, with the S4 buffs seems very similar to the role of old vKat (minus Witness Me) filled in that the model was a momentum farming sponge that has high damage/high threat. It seems they could have kept vKat truer to his old form as a variation of that, but they went the direction of making him a less threatening. Is Ground and Pound the trade-off for that? I don't think that ability is very good and oKat is just better if you want a model to KD stuff.

Thematically, vKat is a intimdiating model I liked how S3 vKat was scary for opponents. New vKat's kit seems much less intimidating. :(

Imma just say it, Vennin does better AOE. 

15 hours ago, MechMage said:

Are we showing off our vKatalysts now?  I admit that the paint job isn't great but I had a lot of fun making this:

 

Damn, sir. 

👏👏👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the odd feeling that vKat is intended to take out a modell in a single turn, farming two momentum (for the cost of 1 momentum), win the initiativ next round and run away... Dont know.. To be fair, Alchmist can deal a lot of damage in S4 (Smoke can do insane ammount of damage and Venin hits harder then ever) but vKat dosent fit in. I did a few games with him now and he never ever did something useful, except for my opponnent that could farm some momentum on him. So at least I am not the only one, struggeling with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell, I'm here, I'll go to bat for the big guy. 

 

My last game with him was into Hunters.  He killed Herne, vMinx and did 80% damage to Seena, 50% into Chaska.  I rolled an absolutely clutch Ground Pound into Seena on the top of two, blasting Chaska and Theron in the process.  Venin helped a bunch, to be sure, but Kat stole the show.

Yes, he died. He also did a ton of work.  Some of it was dice, and having a 3/0 target, to be sure.  However, Seena is no slouch and I expect to see that thing a ton in season 4, so I'm not worried about that so much.   Even into 4/1 vKat is putting out enough damage across enough targets that I don't mind the trade he makes as he dies.  The fact is every Alchemist dies, it's only really a question of how well they trade with your opponent in the scrum.  In the end I'm not sure that vKat's trade is as bad as this thread suggests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×