Sign in to follow this  
Banjulhu

Escaping Fate: Order of Effects

When vSiren is taken to 0hp she has the option to trigger Escaping Fate at step 3 of the attack sequence.

The trait when triggered gives Siren the option to do 3 things "...recover 1HP, remove all conditions on it, and make a 2" dodge".

Are these three effects resolved in the order as written on the card or are they all simultaneous effects and so resolved in whatever order vSiren's controlling player wishes?

I assume the latter because of the use of "and" rather than "and then".

I ask because in a game against the Hunter's vSiren was reduced to 0HP whilst within 1" of a trap and we were uncertain on how it resolves.

Could vSiren for example at 0hp chose to dodge 2" first triggering the trap and taking the 1 damage (which would do nothing as she is already at 0hp) and the snared condition, then remove all conditions and finally go back to 1HP?

The effects are simultaneous, so the controlling fisherman player can decide the order they happen in.  If there's a trap nearby, I suggest taking the dodge first to clear it and then removing conditions and recovering to 1 HP.

8 minutes ago, MechMage said:

The effects are simultaneous, so the controlling fisherman player can decide the order they happen in.

Wouldn't the Controlling Player in this case most likely be the Hunter's player?

S4 rulebook, page 9 said:

Controlling player refers to the person in control of the active model or goal kick.

vSiren is the active model during the resolution of her active traits which makes the Fisherman player the active player.  Otherwise the Hunters player could control the direction in which vSiren dodged.

I'd prefer the wording on Escaping Fate changed to "...and then make a 2" dodge" to prevent exactly this. Ignoring damage when you are already on 0 HP feels wrong.

I don't claim to have any special insight into developer intent, but I think Escaping Fate is working as designed.  Suffering damage during a reanimation style recovering feels wrong to me.

49 minutes ago, MechMage said:

I don't claim to have any special insight into developer intent, but I think Escaping Fate is working as designed.  Suffering damage during a reanimation style recovering feels wrong to me.

That was mostly my thinking, the wording supports it and it is on theme for what the ability does but it was still one of those things that I felt clarification was needed.