Sign in to follow this  
Mergar

S4 And the Joy of Brewers

Hello my fellow friends of beverages!

I'm usually just a silent observer, but with Season 4 out and so little Brewer talk happening, I feel like it needs to be kickstarted a little :)

Next paragraph is musing about where we come from in S3, skip if not want.

So Season 4, the long awaited rework. Until late into Season 3, Brewers were regarded as a weak guild. Personally I've had success with them in my Meta (containing WTC players as well), but I was aware of the shortcomings (little kickoff interaction, slow gameplan, a few awkward models). Then vDecimate happened and suddenly, Brewers were among the top guilds. I can see why steamforged did that, even though it killed my personal enjoyment of the guild. It was always correct to play her and make her the focus of your gameplan, no matter the Matchup. We needed a quicker bruiser model to interact early in the game, but she was just another captain in disguise. I never lost a game with her and after the first two or three games using her, I felt bad everytime I put her on the table. Thus I switched to my Blacksmiths, looking forward to the nerf of decimate, so I could play my brewers again with both sides of the table having fun.

Now we finally have our reworks and boy do I enjoy them! The changes to the playbooks make our players reliable in their roles, while small speed bumps increase midgame efficency. vDecimate is now a good Squaddie, but not the one-woman show anymore. Mash is my new favourite Ballholder and the cat being as feral as a freaking bear is just hilarious. I have played a few games now in S4 (including winning a tournament against Fish, Butchers and Alchemists) and am still looking to explore more of the guild.

There are some Headscratchers (quick foot on Ester, Tapper losing an Influence), but I feel like the brewers are in a good place now :)

So, what about you guys? How did you start into Season 4?

First game of season 4 for me went well Got 10 bps from mash taking out a player and getting a goal first activation of turn 2. Then getting the winner turn 3.

Pintpot setup both takeouts. End of turn 1 dragging bushel in to my lines after she had scored and nuking her down to 2 health with a charge and two beer tokens. Then after Thresher had done very little to Mash dropping him down hard ready for Hooper to jog up and finish him off and dropping the ball off for Mash after Buckwheat had scored.

Esters just stood in the middle enabling everyone. Tooling up PP turn 1 and allowing Spigot to boost everyone with times called.

Spigot can be a monster with 4 inf easily knocking opponents down and having tac 7 with a 4 long playbook so even if he doesn't wrap he'll tend to hit mom3 even without support.

I've only played one game so far, and lost vs the Masons.

The worst/best is that I know exactly what I'd done wrong.
I had 3 KO's (6 VP) and he had 2 KO's and a goal (8 VP).
I was in control... Flint was on the ground with a couple of health left, and Tapper had the ball.
I should have taken my time and hit Flint first, but he had Mallet poised to charge Tapper next activation. It intimidated me enough to get the goal with Tapper bringing me to 10 VP. The goal kick went to Honour who was able to score right away. 
As soon as I'd rolled the kick I realized my error. 
Even if Mallet had knocked down Tapper, I had the momentum and influence to potentially get back up, return the favor and possibly still get the goal, or at least hold the ball where Honour couldn't reach. 
I have to work on my game depth.

I was generally impressed with their reliability and resilience now. I took Tapper, Hooper, oSpigot, Stoker, Mash, and Scum.
I have to say, Scum and Mash were the most fun to play, even when they weren't necessarily the most effective. After the first Scum attack, it's like every Mason was looking over his shoulder to watch for the little beast, even when I didn't give him influence. Mash's 'Howzat!?' saw a lot of use, and was a lot more fun than trying to work him as striker. 

Stoker was pretty tough with the 2 armor and Magical Brew, but he did go down to Honour pretty quickly. 
Spigot, Hooper, and Tapper were reliable as always, but I did miss the extra mobility from Marked Target in the early game. Once truly engaged, it wasn't a big deal, though.

- Yes, Mash had Howzat!? before, but his traits tended to make me try to use him as a striker in S3, with limited success. The earlier 2 dmg result and Resilience/Tough Hide means you're not scared to have him walk in to trouble with his bat ready. He'll still make a good midfielder, ready to scrum or pass to Friday or VSpigot with his Heroic, especially if within Esters' aura.

Nice to hear other people are having fun!

I'm still more on the side of Takeouts with Goals used to finish games. I really like how reliable Hooper is with the mom 3 on 4. before he underperformed when he didn't get giant setups, now he can do a lot of work without having to hope for that column 5.

I'm still largely sour about the whole situation.. For the most part the guild was improved, but it was not very exciting (which is probably why there isn't much discussion).. While I've mentioned this before and know most people here will disagree, my main issues are as follows.. 

Esters : While I know a lot of people were upset with her losing her ranged plays, that is not my main concern.. First of all I still have no idea why they couldn't have placed "Empowered Voice" on the front of her card with an influence cost.. I know as it stands now she can use both abilities in the same activation bi tit just seems a little dull.. Secondly, I really don't like the playstyle she brings.. I know you can do some fun stuff with multiple strikers, but for the most part I've seen most players running lists with three (four) resilience models that stand within 4" of each other and prevent access to the ball.. I understand "control" and "denial" is a feature of games, it's just a bit shit and feel it's going to lead to a nerf to Mash and Pisspot down the line..

Decimate : Yes, she was strong, she probably needed to be balanced, but honestly I think this was a step to far... The speed reduction makes sense to fit in with the rest of the guild and toning down her playbook was probably required, how ever I think making her tac 5 with a five long book has killed her.. For the most part she can still shove players around and generate momentum, but I can't see a reason to play her now over most of the other 2" melee options.. It just seems like they gave us a new toy which caused the community to hate us, then took it away for a laugh..

As stated, I think on average the guild has been improved (although to a lesser extent of most the other guilds), I just can't see me putting them on the table till the next errata pass and I certainly don't want to play against "fat camp"... 

Decimate still performs greatly, and she doesn't completely different things to other 2" melee models. TAC 5 and 5 columns with AP is still quite brewery so no problem with that. But do people really run 3 resiliences on a regular basis? I play with 2 and it's more than enough. Who do they swap out for Pint Pot?

I think the "big boys" list is kinda flavor of the month right now. People figured out it's possible and so are playing it. 

It's fun for sure but I don't see it setting the meta on fire too much. 

Overall still enjoying playing them! 

Had an interesting one last night. Played vs hunters who are quite a pain turn 1/2 Who managed to kill pintpot and get a goal with me just taking out Seenah in reply, Hooper had almost been killed but I managed to save him for a couple of turns. Once the pain of being outraged had finished the hunters started to struggle and the resilience of my team gave me the upper hand. 

Only problem I had was my dice decided to fail me and mash going for a 4 dice goal to win it missed. After that My opponent got the ball and scored the next turn. So I ended up losing 12-9. 

My dice had been poor all game completely wiffing attacks on 5/1 and 4/1 models on multiple occasions so in all I was still quite happy with the players at my disposal.

Went with same line-up I took in my first game so. Esters, Quaff, Mash, Pintpot, Hooper, ogSpigot. 

Definitely think esters is the right captain for the matchup and I didn't have him available but stoker would have done very well against them.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:23 AM, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

Anyone plan on trying a 3 goal brewers team? Thinking Esters, Scum, Vet Deci, Vet Spig, Friday, and Mash. It might end up more of a 2-2 game but I feel like using mash as a sniper to hit either spigot or friday as turrets.

>>>Raises hand. 

Ran Esters, Scum, Friday, vSpigot, Stoker, and Lucky.  Went 2-1 in a 3 round tournament and managed to score 8 goals in total.  This is pretty much the line up I would run in S3 and honestly I like the changes to Esters.  Free heroics and handing out Tooled Up and speed buffs to multiple players for multiple turns, I think, is turning out more handy than Empowering Voice despite costing influence.  Hell, she even got 2 goals herself against Hunters when Theron and Chaska deftly took out Friday twice with ranged plays and locked Spigot down with kick stat subtractions.  She hustled up field with a teamwork dodge, earned a fat stack of momentum from slapping around Hearne and belted out a goal, then stayed close enough to catch a pass from Stoker after a turnover tackle to do it again at the top of the next round. 

Sounds like you have a good plan with Deci and Mash.  Just my style to prefer Stoker and Lucky. 

I've found esters to be useful without influence or with very little. Our squaddies hit hard and soak up a lot of damage and esters keeps the heroics going and everyone free of conditions. 

One of the downsides to this game in my opinion is how generally only a couple of models do something each turn e.g. captain with a full stack plus one or two others. Always hate seeing captains doing half of the work of the entire team so a captain that enables players to be very good without taking anything away is quite refreshing.

I agree about Esters. If the opponent made the mistake of coming within 5" of her, sure, go and knock him into the dirt, but otherwise she is fine with 3-4 Influence imo. 

What I like about Tapper is that while he does work, he usually just likes setting up the team. Knocking down 2-3 people, putting up Commanding Aura and maybe a few pushes/dmg results and then the opponent is on a hard timer to save those targets.