malladin.ben

Crazy 4 Reaper team idea for Season 4

Is this a little bit mad..?

Thresher, Buckwheat, Jackstraw, Ploughman, Fallow, Windle...

Here's the maths:

The team brings a total of 9 INF which is pretty low, but with 11 to spend you can be at full capability, with 1 for Jackstraw, 2 for windle, 3 for buckwheat and 5 for thresher. You want an early goal and a harvest marker saved to be at full capacity. 

As for Harvest markers, You can happily put down 4 each turn (Ploughman puts down one for free and his aura generates a second for free, and Jack can pay 1 to generate 2). Fallow wants 2, but Windle and Thresher want 1 each and Buckwheat might want one, but not always. That means you can feed the three non-mascot reapers with harvest markers on a neutral turn and with a couple saved up during turn 1 you can have that 5th knocking around for when you need it to extend Buckwheat's range.

Is there some sort of rules interaction I've missed or might this actually be viable in S4?

Probably going to be trying it out tonight.

Ben

Definitely viable. I think though that Thresher works best with Buckwheat and 1 Reaper. The Planters are no slouches in combat now. Grange + Buckwheat + 3 Reapers is probably better though.

The INF stat is largely irrelevant from T2 for Farmers - just look at INF + HMs to get the real deal. I've found HMs are basically INF now with some benefits.

Well I won. It was very good at getting take outs but less good at protecting the ball - missed Tater I think.

In other news, farmers are still a little too reliably solid to spark my interest. Good but nothing explosive and lacking in risk/reward to their play.

4 hours ago, malladin.ben said:

lacking in risk/reward to their play.

Your dice must be much better than mine

7 hours ago, malladin.ben said:

Well I won. It was very good at getting take outs but less good at protecting the ball - missed Tater I think.

In other news, farmers are still a little too reliably solid to spark my interest. Good but nothing explosive and lacking in risk/reward to their play.

I think that's their design now.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Your dice must be much better than mine

Even if your dice crap out you do 2 damage. If your dice are crapping out at less than 1 hit from a TAC 6+ model , everyone had better dice than you. 😜

5 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I think that's their design now.

Agreed. I think it's what they were aiming for in S3 too, just overshot it somewhat. Certainly the early days of the honest land box only felt pretty like that.

13 hours ago, malladin.ben said:

Even if your dice crap out you do 2 damage. If your dice are crapping out at less than 1 hit from a TAC 6+ model , everyone had better dice than you. 😜

It took me four attacks to get a single success against a 4-1 with grange  on Wednesday, so I'm pretty sure everyone does have better dice than me 😅

Had a game on Saturday where I went with Thresher, Peck, Windle, Bushel, Jackstraw and Ploughman. So, peck instead of Buckwheat, but still a heavier reaper team than I would’ve chosen in S3.  I took Peck cause I was playing into Ratcatchers.  The four harvest markers Jackstraw and Ploughman can put out each turn for only 1 influence is awesome.

And man, can Windle pump out some damage now!  He one rounded Scourge in turn 2.  He had a crowd out from Thresher, and I had Singled Out on Scourge from the game plan deck card, so I was rolling 9 dice each attack.  I wrapped to the 1st or 2nd column on all but one of his attacks. So good!

I’m also really enjoying the new Bushel.  The new Cabbage Punt is awesome.  She scored the winning goal with only 1 influence from 17” out.  Picked up a Harvest Marker to use I’m open for free.  Jogged 6”, used I’m Open to have Thresher pass her the ball, dodged 4” and was within 7” of the goal.  Hit the goal for the win.