duomaxwell007

Some of the miniature quality on the mega bosses is terrible

Ok so guardian dragon wings dont fit. Unlike the rest of you I lack the "surgical skills" necessary to make them fit. Gaping Dragons tail barely fits and falls off a lot, and I cant seem to get ANY of the four wings in ANY of the slots. Cant even begin to see how they should fit. I think we should get better quality minis or something I mean nowhere did what I ordered say "some assembly required" or "you'll need to get tools out to make your stuff fit because god forbid we do our job right and we're always delaying stuff to wait for approval yet somehow Bandai saw all these non fitting pieces and decided to give their approval anyway?"

Would agree 100%.

4 out of the 7 parts for the Gaping Dragon that I received do not fit into their respective slots. It's basically trying to put a very large peg into a very small round hole. There has been little (if any) product quality testing done. For the amount we have paid for these expansions and the main game, you'd think that some assembly testing would have been carried out. 

For the amount of delays we have seen for this project, I honestly wouldn't have minded if they were pushed back so the quality was assessed. I have emailed SteamForged about it. Waiting on their reply. 

I have not recieved my Gaping Dragon yet, so I cannot comment on the quality/assembly of that particular model (though I do hear the universal consensus is it's a pain in the ass to assemble). However I do have Kalameet, and my experience with Kalameet is that out of the box the wings wouldn't peg in -- but the solution was simply to dip the wing pegs in very hot water, and then to refit the wings into place.

While I do think SFG should have warned people the mega bosses would require some assembly, I think people are dramatically over reacting (at least to specifically the assembly). It's unreasonable to expect them to ship out these complex models as one piece, for they are molded in pieces and for them to ship as one unit SFG would have to manually pre-assemble each model and then redesign the boxes to accommodate for the awkward model designs.

Was it possible for them to do this? Most likely. However the trade off would have been us waiting probably another year to recieve the expansions, as I doubt they have the man power to delegate assembly to a specific team.

2 hours ago, Cfighter said:

I have not recieved my Gaping Dragon yet, so I cannot comment on the quality/assembly of that particular model (though I do hear the universal consensus is it's a pain in the ass to assemble). However I do have Kalameet, and my experience with Kalameet is that out of the box the wings wouldn't peg in -- but the solution was simply to dip the wing pegs in very hot water, and then to refit the wings into place.

While I do think SFG should have warned people the mega bosses would require some assembly, I think people are dramatically over reacting (at least to specifically the assembly). It's unreasonable to expect them to ship out these complex models as one piece, for they are molded in pieces and for them to ship as one unit SFG would have to manually pre-assemble each model and then redesign the boxes to accommodate for the awkward model designs.

Was it possible for them to do this? Most likely. However the trade off would have been us waiting probably another year to recieve the expansions, as I doubt they have the man power to delegate assembly to a specific team.

The trade-off would have been worth it, instead of stabbing people in the back by not even giving them full models, and just expecting them to be experts when it comes to minis. They should have just made the models all in one piece and just made boxes to fit them, I don't care if its extra work, its a part of what they promised in the Kickstarter, they didn't say that mega bosses would be miniature model kits. Sure it may have taken even more time, but it'd be better to do something that'd make people happier in the long run, rather than just piss off backers even more with stuff like this. What if people accidentally break pieces by trying fit them into the holes? Then they have to go through the long wait for replacements.

Honestly, I am so happy I didn't buy any mega bosses, so I don't have to deal with this personally, but good lord is it unbelievable how incompetent the team behind this game are. They have left a terrible look on SFG as a whole with their incompetency at handling this project, I mean just look at the RE2 board game, I was expecting doomsday to come with that as well but no, they kept backers fairly regularly updated, and they are actually working on delivering that board game all at once, not just core game at first, but core game and all expansions, you can see in their production images that its all coming together at the same time. RE2 is possibly going to be finished by January or maybe February,  completed in only a little over a year, while DS has taken a year and a half so far, and they aren't even done delivering wave 2, and then there's still a whole other wave to do, and they most likely won't be done until they've passed the two year mark or maybe even the three year mark.

I get that DS has way more backers to deliver to and ended up with even more to deliver with all the expansions, but I'd call it incompetency since maybe they should have considered just how much they were continuously adding to the project, and maybe should have realized when they bit off three times more than they could chew. Its a damn shame too because that project has caused many people to avoid the SFG logo like the plague due to how slowly the project is coming along and how terrible communication has been with it. I had thought that SFG was just a bad company, but I still took a gamble on the RE2 board game because it was before things really went downhill with DS, and now to my delight it turns out that the DS team is just the rotten egg, because the RE2 team is handling things wonderfully.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, but yeah I think this problem with the mega bosses is unacceptable.

3 hours ago, MaverickHunterLuneth said:

The trade-off would have been worth it, instead of stabbing people in the back by not even giving them full models, and just expecting them to be experts when it comes to minis. They should have just made the models all in one piece and just made boxes to fit them, I don't care if its extra work, its a part of what they promised in the Kickstarter, they didn't say that mega bosses would be miniature model kits. Sure it may have taken even more time, but it'd be better to do something that'd make people happier in the long run, rather than just piss off backers even more with stuff like this. What if people accidentally break pieces by trying fit them into the holes? Then they have to go through the long wait for replacements.

Honestly, I am so happy I didn't buy any mega bosses, so I don't have to deal with this personally, but good lord is it unbelievable how incompetent the team behind this game are. They have left a terrible look on SFG as a whole with their incompetency at handling this project, I mean just look at the RE2 board game, I was expecting doomsday to come with that as well but no, they kept backers fairly regularly updated, and they are actually working on delivering that board game all at once, not just core game at first, but core game and all expansions, you can see in their production images that its all coming together at the same time. RE2 is possibly going to be finished by January or maybe February,  completed in only a little over a year, while DS has taken a year and a half so far, and they aren't even done delivering wave 2, and then there's still a whole other wave to do, and they most likely won't be done until they've passed the two year mark or maybe even the three year mark.

I get that DS has way more backers to deliver to and ended up with even more to deliver with all the expansions, but I'd call it incompetency since maybe they should have considered just how much they were continuously adding to the project, and maybe should have realized when they bit off three times more than they could chew. Its a damn shame too because that project has caused many people to avoid the SFG logo like the plague due to how slowly the project is coming along and how terrible communication has been with it. I had thought that SFG was just a bad company, but I still took a gamble on the RE2 board game because it was before things really went downhill with DS, and now to my delight it turns out that the DS team is just the rotten egg, because the RE2 team is handling things wonderfully.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, but yeah I think this problem with the mega bosses is unacceptable.

Please, feel free to vent.

I completely get why a lot of people are upset over the assembly -- judging from the unbelievably large number of backers, I would assume Dark Souls is the first venture outside of mainstream board games for most people (I also would assume using the IP to reach this many backers was a calculated decision by SFG). I'm not saying this is your first venture, just the majority of backers in general.

Large models simply cannot be manufactured as one piece. Their size/designs demands that the sculpts be split into parts so that the piece comes out of the mold properly. As a result, one way or another these models come out of the molds in pieces. At this point the seller has two options: pre-assemble every mini and sell as one unit, or sell the minis as they come out of the molds and require basic assembly.

Obviously it would have been amazing to have the Mega Bosses ready right out of the box, however another key factor that people aren't taking into consideration is the price. Not only would we have had to wait a lot longer to receive the expansions (which people would flip out about), but SFG would have charged at least double what they did for the expansions. Any other large miniature that is pre-assembled/painted costs somewhere in the ballpark of $80+ depending on the size/quality. These Mega Bosses cost on average $50 and they have superb detail for their size/price.

Again, I feel a lot of this outcry would have been avoided if they simply said the Mega Bosses would require some assembly. But in their defense, I also don't recall them ever specifically mentioning that the Mega Bosses would ship as one piece (could be wrong about that though lol).

Not being in one piece isnt the issue. The issue is the individual pieces not fitting in the holes they're supposed to. I shouldnt have to modify them myself to fit they should fit fine straight out of the box. The OTHER minis fit together just fine. It's just those two that dont.

5 minutes ago, duomaxwell007 said:

Not being in one piece isnt the issue. The issue is the individual pieces not fitting in the holes they're supposed to. I shouldnt have to modify them myself to fit they should fit fine straight out of the box. The OTHER minis fit together just fine. It's just those two that dont.

Ehh I don't have the two in question but again just get a cup/bowl of very hot water, dip ends of the wings into the water for at least 30 seconds and they should be soft enough to plug into the socket. Then just leave them in the sockets for a minute or so, allowing the plastic to harden in its new shape and you shouldn't have another issue fitting them again.

In theory (don't have my Gaping Dragon yet to confirm) the only reason why the pieces aren't fitting together is due to the plastic warping inside the box. Which is where the hot water comes into play. This also isn't necessarily an issue with manufacturing -- it's just a byproduct of the soft plastic the minis are made from. Warping happens all the time with PVC figures, not a whole lot can be done about it. Of course it's also totally possible the issue is with the sculpt itself. I won't know myself for another week.