moobythumb

New Farm Hand

Hey guys, I just ordered myself the Old Fathers Harvest set as my first team. I've only ever played one demo of GB so went for rule of cool when buying; however there seems to be a concerning level of negative reactions to S4 changes with Farmers.

As such what advice would you give a new player to help make my entry to this game smoother and more enjoyable? I'm happy to buy the original farmers team if needs be, but if I can get advice around the team I'm getting that would be super appreciated too.

I am also a new farmer, but I have played some games (but not with farmers). I like the look of my newly painted farmers, and they will get on the table, no matter how bad they play!

My advice is to just play. You will probably lose some games, but in the beginning, blame your inexperience and not the farmers.

If it turns out that you dislike the farmers, it may be wiser to buy anoter team than to buy anoter box of farmers. Play enought to be sure what you want before you buy more (unless of course, an option is to buy more farmers and another team.)

Welcome to the Farmer's Guild! I personally am very excited for the new S4 Farmers.  I've only gotten one game in with them so far (It was a 12-4 win vs Fish).  I love the look, goofy names of characters and abilities, and play style of the Farmers, and I think they're probably a middle of pack guild, in terms of competitive S4 scene.

I would recommend picking up the other Farmers team as well, since the team you purchased only has 2 planters, and has a VERY low influence pool.  Plus then you'll have the full gambit of characters (minus vHonour) to select from.

Once again, welcome.  And happy planting and reaping!

If you're playing casually with friends, don't worry what the 'net says, just have fun and get to know your models. I would definitely get the Honest Land box, as it has more planters, including Jackstraw, who is great fun, and Peck, who dishes out Cocky, which can be very useful. Tater and Millstone are great from the box you have, and Ploughman is looking good in S4. Buckwheat is cool, but is an active mascot (who wants to eat your harvest markers) which is pretty unusual - most mascots are support pieces but Buckwheat just wants to be a squaddie! With S4 you can probably make a decent team with either box, as SFG has tried to balance all the players to make them all worthwhile.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:48 PM, AspiringPacifist said:

Welcome to the Farmer's Guild! I personally am very excited for the new S4 Farmers.  I've only gotten one game in with them so far (It was a 12-4 win vs Fish). 

Wow... you're going to have to tell me how you managed that. The Fish are top tier. Was it Shark or Corsair? How did you shut them down?

Well, I won the roll off and received.  My team was Grange, Buckwheat, Windle, Bushel, vHonour, Jackstraw.  They had Corsair, Tentacles, vSiren, Greyscales, vSakana, Horizon.

The early plan was to get the ball to Bushel and used vHonour’s legendary on Bushel for a turn 1 goal.  I got the turn 1 goal with Bushel but didn’t need the legendary, so never used it. They kicked the ball back in toward vSakana and Corsair and I moved in with Windle and Grange for some scrum fun.

In the meantime they failed a goal shot with Corsair.  After the failed goal shot I was able to get the ball with vHonour and pass it to Jackstraw who was hiding in cover.  The cover ended up not mattering, since vSakana was in melee with Grange and within 4” of Jackstraw, so vSakana fancy footworked the ball right off of him, and dodged out of melee with Grange to pass to vSiren.

I finished off vSakana for a take out, vSiren scored, and got a goal right after the throw in with Buckwheat, then took out vSiren the activation after that.

So, I won with a 2-2.  My opponent and I are both newer players, and I’m sure we’re both not operating our teams anywhere close to maximum efficiency. Hah!