In season 4, the qualifier "that targets this model" has been removed from Vitriol's Clone character play.  What happens when she is hit by a play that doesn't target her?  Suppose Ratchet hits both Vitriol and Mercury with the Blast Earth character play, triggering Clone causing the play to be ignored.  Does Mercury take damage?  Is a circle of rough ground placed on the pitch?

On 10/12/2018 at 12:02 PM, MechMage said:

In season 4, the qualifier "that targets this model" has been removed from Vitriol's Clone character play.  What happens when she is hit by a play that doesn't target her?  Suppose Ratchet hits both Vitriol and Mercury with the Blast Earth character play, triggering Clone causing the play to be ignored.  Does Mercury take damage?  Is a circle of rough ground placed on the pitch?

The dmg on vitriol would be ignored triggering clone and the character play aoe would still be placed and the dmg would happen to other players. 

38 minutes ago, STEPHENB said:

The dmg on vitriol would be ignored triggering clone and the character play aoe would still be placed and the dmg would happen to other players. 

What if she is hit by Flurry?  Would you say that other models within 2" of Egret take damage even though previously the entire play would have been negated?

2 minutes ago, MechMage said:

What if she is hit by Flurry?  Would you say that other models within 2" of Egret take damage even though previously the entire play would have been negated?

These are completely different so I'm not 100% sure since blast earth doesnt target vitriol. I would assume you treat any effects of the targeted play as if you missed. To use your example if you were to miss the flurry no one would take dmg so if the play is negated the secondary effects would not trigger.

Compare Burnish's Reinforced Plating which specifies that "the model hit may ignore all damage and effects of the character play" to Vitriol's Clone which uses the passive voice "the attack or character play is ignored."  Since Clone has no subject, I believe that RAW the entire play is ignored however I would like official confirmation.