Sign in to follow this  
PirateCaptain

A Case for Layne

I posted this on facebook as well, but figured I should here as well.

A case for Layne.

So, looking over all the faction I think we’re kind of falling behind in the goal scoring side of the game, which is disappointing, but alas it is what it is. Here’s the short version, feel free to ask for the long version:

Between Skatha and the Alchemist buffs, I don’t think we’re the number 1 slot anymore for a 3-0 game.  With our deserved nerf’s to the take-out game that Fish had, we didn’t get as much of a buff in the goal scoring aspect as I’d hoped, especially since they want Fish to play the goal scoring game more than anyone else.  Angel’s change is okay, but she still isn’t that good, and arguably not worth taking. oSiren’s change puts her in a much worse position when she tries to take the ball away. Our kick stats didn’t really get a good buff.  We have some interesting options for getting the ball back still, and some good choices for keeping possession (funnily I think with Kraken and Corsair we can kill the ball well… not something we really needed…)

Additionally, everything got softer across the board, it’s tougher to rely on Shark surviving after a turn 1 goal to be able to put in a turn 2 goal.  I think if we want to reclaim our spot as top dog for goal scoring then picking up a player who can score well fits with the theme SFG is going for of a “glass cannon” goal scoring faction.  We should be able to aggressively score the ball and aggressively threaten a ball kill better than most.

I think a case for Kami could be made as a means of adding to our ability to threaten a ball kill, but I think we have enough tools for that.  I think an honestly strong striker would help Corsair’s game a lot, and give Shark’s game a legitimate 1-2 punch for the strongest alpha-goal scoring in the game.

So, to make Fish the goal scoring king again, we should take Layne. Not only does it help us, but it also prevents our footballing competitors from getting a top striker and knocking us further down from top dog.

Angel is a pure striker, there's no where written that he will be a bland striker without new abilities.

Also, we have 3 strikers, and are supposed to be the best goal scoring faction, and I don't think we are right now.  I think having a new good striker option would really really help bring us back up. I think if 4 of our 16 models (we'll have 16 when this new model joins up) is a solid place to be in, since one of those is Shark.  It gives us some more options and I think having another striker would really open up Corsair quite a bit, and give him more angles for goal scoring.

14 minutes ago, PirateCaptain said:

Also, we have 3 strikers, and are supposed to be the best goal scoring faction, and I don't think we are right now.

I'm slowly working on a post about this subject in particular, the crib notes version is we have not been the best goal scoring guild since season 2, although I agree with the notion that the team should be and I would like the tools to do that

But, you dont need a striker to score goals, what you do need models that can get into scoring positions and execute.

Now strikers in other teams make better the scoring pieces often because their kick is usually 8" which enables them to threaten a goal much more readily than their compatriots, but the thing about the Fish is that thanks to all in and out of activation repositions actually getting our models into positions where they threaten the goal is usually the easy bit (this is why Greyscales has often been a scoring partner for Shark more than Angel).

What the team needs more of is game pieces that can make that process of getting the goal more resource efficient either by making the passing or ball recovery more reliable which is more the role of a midfielder hence my liking for Champ.

I would love a model that does something similar to Harry or makes our kicks more reliable to free up our momentum usage on teamwork actions and passes so we then have the momentum to shoot with. Far out wishful thinking would be a play or aura that reduces the TN of a kick for a friendly model

On 10/12/2018 at 3:10 PM, Banjulhu said:

What the team needs more of is game pieces that can make that process of getting the goal more resource efficient either by making the passing or ball recovery more reliable which is more the role of a midfielder hence my liking for Champ.

Well said