Sign in to follow this  
burroboskov

Alchemists Season 4

I'm so excited by this team. Everyone seems to have an aoe or pulse ability to spread either poison or fire, often both! We've got some footbally players, some real damage dealers, VKat has a form of intensify innately, loads of character plays off the playbook, it's just great!

They are still a hint of what they used to be, but look like a whole new team.

Oh man....I know everyone is going gaga over Midas and Kat and all that jazz....but man, our mascots!!!! Talk about value.

And I love how replaceable all of our effects are. It's NBD to eat a burning or poison because by and large the effects that doing so allows you to trigger just reapply the statuses. 

F*ck I love this team. 

Holy hell. I've Been burned before isn't a dodge, it's a whole damn sprint/charge now. 19 inch threat if you hit the Mom double dodge off a charge seems pretty good. 

Plus the 3 Union picks we get (because does anyone actually run A&G) fit REALLY well into the lineup. 

I mean, if the team is doing what it is supposed to do in applying conditions, he is dodging around like a madman. He essentially has a T< on 1, mom << or <> on 2, which won't protect him from all counters, but it's still pretty good. He's got acrobatic to get around Unpredictable, I just think he is going to be able to get to near anyone/the ball. He goal threatens 18" without any help.

1 hour ago, burroboskov said:

I mean, if the team is doing what it is supposed to do in applying conditions, he is dodging around like a madman. He essentially has a T< on 1, mom << or <> on 2, which won't protect him from all counters, but it's still pretty good. He's got acrobatic to get around Unpredictable, I just think he is going to be able to get to near anyone/the ball. He goal threatens 18" without any help.

18” to goal is pretty middle of the road for striker characters.  For example, it’s an inch or two less than Smoke, and vCalculous, the same as Cruicble.   

I like all the synergy with conditions as I think using them as a resource is an interesting mechanic. I'm still giving some thought to how it all comes together in play.

I do lament the loss of Intensify from Flask and vKat. I can see why they got rid of it, as I think it would have been brutal with how many conditions they team can throw out now. However, I think the team may run into some trouble with take-outs, since conditions need time to do damage and they don't have the tools to draw out games like with S3 Smoke.

What do people think about vKatalyst? He is probably the best at dealing damage on the team, but he definitely seems less "scary" as  threat than he used to be. With his character play causing KDs, he seems to overlap with oKat a lot more.

We do seem to have a good array of striker options now. Crucible looks quite good (although 4/0 defense :().

Does seeing these models change anyone's thoughts about who we want to pick up for the draft?

I don't think you take vet Kat for his damage, really.  He's expecting to get 9-12 damage out of 3 influence, and that's firmly in the middle of the road (to repeat the phrase).  Ground Pound is a little harder to predict, but that's most likely 6-8 single target damage and 3 on a secondary, so within 9-12 total.  Venin and Mercury kick out similar numbers, and Smoke can meet them with setup and her legendary.   In the scheme of things it's not at all that impressive when compared to what the fighters in other guilds do.

26 minutes ago, Golden said:

I don't think you take vet Kat for his damage, really.  He's expecting to get 9-12 damage out of 3 influence, and that's firmly in the middle of the road (to repeat the phrase).  Ground Pound is a little harder to predict, but that's most likely 6-8 single target damage and 3 on a secondary, so within 9-12 total.  Venin and Mercury kick out similar numbers, and Smoke can meet them with setup and her legendary.   In the scheme of things it's not at all that impressive when compared to what the fighters in other guilds do. 

Yeah, in looking at him more closely... You're right in that he doesn't exceed the damage others put out by a significant margin; more damage in most cases, but by a small margin. As a "bruiser" to get in and disrupt, he seems general worse than oKat, so I am not really sure of where he or of compelling situations where you would choose him given the liability of a 2/1 defense for the enemy team to farm momentum from. I'm not completely sure what you use him for, unless you want to hold him back like a less effective version of his old self. It also hurts that Ground and Pound targets friendlies.

The only time I would bring him to the field is against teams that are going to want to scrum up, and I guess the idea then is to Barrel him in towards the end of your turn after bullying people into position with our multitudinous pushes and Dodges in order to secure that group knockdown

45 minutes ago, TheBriarfox said:

The only time I would bring him to the field is against teams that are going to want to scrum up, and I guess the idea then is to Barrel him in towards the end of your turn after bullying people into position with our multitudinous pushes and Dodges in order to secure that group knockdown

Is that a good plan?  You’re at 40% to hit the Ground Pound with a charge against a 4/1 target, assuming gangups and crowdouts off set.  Even with bonus time you’re at a coin flip.  And again, that’s assuming you aren’t crowded out.  Lose even one die and your odds fall hard.

Then what happens?  You spent all turn setting up a 5 damage charge.

Meanwhile, you committed your own 4/1 and 14 hp models to a scrum early.  That seems dangerous.

I see a character who does just about the same damge whether he charges or not, and has respectable counter attacks and parting blows.   With 2” reach and a 50mil base he’s a mile wide.  So he can eat a charge or initiate a fight without sacrificing much either way.  Is that super valuable, given that all of his durability comes from hp and counter attack threat?  You tell me. 

Ground pound is a trap. Play him as a sweeper.

Put him off of a wing and once there's a model or 2 sitting at that 10hp sweet spot he can come in to get the kill and a 5mp up swing go first next turn for the second one. 

He won't need INF for most if the game and shores up your football game. 

I'm also going to try running him center field with Crucible and mercury. A bit of INF there should put down a fair but of hurt. 

6 hours ago, Golden said:

18” to goal is pretty middle of the road for striker characters.  For example, it’s an inch or two less than Smoke, and vCalculous, the same as Cruicble.   

Fair enough, but then the rest of your comment gets me excited too. Midas, vCalc, Crucible, Vitriol, mascot, squaddie is crazy good at football.

56 minutes ago, Morganrl said:

Ground pound is a trap. Play him as a sweeper.

Put him off of a wing and once there's a model or 2 sitting at that 10hp sweet spot he can come in to get the kill and a 5mp up swing go first next turn for the second one. 

He won't need INF for most if the game and shores up your football game. 

I'm also going to try running him center field with Crucible and mercury. A bit of INF there should put down a fair but of hurt. 

I'm inclined to agree. Particularly, with ground and pound hitting friendly models and the difficulty reaching it even with a charge, it seems unreliable. He seems like he will have his similar "missile" role, but will be less effective at that role. The potential for back to back activations is good though.

In general, I think oKat will end up being used in a lot of teams just to slow the enemy down while the rest of the team scores goals or wears the enemy down with conditions. Maybe Venin can help with that with his potential for 4/2 defense, but he doesn't have much in the way of KDs.

What models are people inclined to cut for their 12?

2 hours ago, DrDoak said:

I think I'm leaving Compound on the bench for a while I figure out everyone else

2 hours ago, DrDoak said:

In general, I think oKat will end up being used in a lot of teams just to slow the enemy down while the rest of the team scores goals or wears the enemy down with conditions. Maybe Venin can help with that with his potential for 4/2 defense, but he doesn't have much in the way of KDs.

I too see that oKat is going to be much used anchor that also gives us free fire to use with other models.

I think Union picks are not that good, so only 1 player has to be left home and my first impression is to leave Naja home. It's not bad, but free character play from Flask seems just better.

I will leave V. Katalyst and our Union model. O. Katalyst is the team's only reliable player for KD unless you want to bring Avarisse. I just don't want to take a Union pick when the rest of the team just looks way too fun to use together with all the condition synergies.