Sign in to follow this  
MarkSonger

Water: obstacle, barrier, or rough ground?

Let us say I create a 2 inch by 3 inch (50mm x 75mm) "pond" as terrain. Would said terrain be classified as an obstacle or a barrier? And if it is either of those, I would think one would not be able to draw cover off of it. It also seems to me that a pond would be more cumbersome than the -2/-2 movement penalty rough ground imparts. Opinions?

I would either use it as Fast or Rough ground depending on what it looked like. I tend to use shallow water features as fast ground

4 minutes ago, ningu said:

I would either use it as Fast or Rough ground depending on what it looked like. I tend to use shallow water features as fast ground

How would shallow water speed you up?

49 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

How would shallow water speed you up?

It's fully of water and you don't want to get your feet wet, so you would travel through it faster? TBH, once you start applying logic to it, would any slippery ground speed you up? When trying to walk over ice, people tend to slow down and tread carefully. The best thing for logical fast ground would probably be hot coals or spikes.

What do you use for fast ground?

8 minutes ago, MarkSonger said:

I was planning on putting a row boat in it (Fisherman's Guild) so it would have to be a little deep.

Depending on the size of the boat, it could make a fairly decent obstruction

11 minutes ago, ningu said:

It's fully of water and you don't want to get your feet wet, so you would travel through it faster? TBH, once you start applying logic to it, would any slippery ground speed you up? When trying to walk over ice, people tend to slow down and tread carefully. The best thing for logical fast ground would probably be hot coals or spikes.

What do you use for fast ground?

Depending on the size of the boat, it could make a fairly decent obstruction

LOL. STupid logic. 

Mine looks like slippery mud. I always assume when you hit teh slippery you just slide through it, speeding it up. Maybe?

1 hour ago, ningu said:

When trying to walk over ice, people tend to slow down and tread carefully. 

I dunno, I used to live in Leeds. It was amazing how fast people moved in high heels when it iced up :D

As long as your opponents are ok with it, you could class it as most types of ground I reckon. But if it’s got a boat in, I agree it seems logical as an obstruction.

54 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

Mine looks like slippery mud.

Not sure I'd call slippery mud "water".

If it's actual water (so, a pond), I'd say rough ground or obstruction, barrier if you want it to be to be deeper than say knee high. I imagine if it's shallow, you could run through but be slightly slowed down (rough), above ankle-up to knee in depth would prevent you running into it (obstruction) and above the knee is just too deep for any footballer to risk running into due to massive reduction in speed and risk of twisting an ankle or falling when jumping in (barrier).

Small water features let you have some fun though. You could have fish peeking out, lilypads, bullrushes, kingfishers, No Fishing signs, a fishing rod and stool next to it, even a corpse floating facedown if you want to be a little grimdark...

Call it what you want... as long as you and your opponent agree to what it is... everything is just peachy! Carry on wayward sons! :P  (Oh ya, just make sure it's not bigger than the dimensional restriction for whatever you want to use it for.)