Two Questions came up about Mainsprings new (awesome) Character Play Thief.

1. If I’m Base to Base with a Target Model with Beautiful can I still use it? Because it’s range is just reduced to 0”? 

2. Can I target a Model without the Ball to trigger Resilience?

Standard S4 Disclaimer:

Given that I'm sure you must have meant to ask about Squeak's Dreadful Squeak which has a very similar wording.
1. A model that is base to base with another model is always in range of a character play, not matter how far the range on that character play has been reduced.

2. From the collected clarifications thread entry on Glutenous Mass which is worded identically to Resiliance:

Character plays which target and hit the model with Gluttonous Mass after being triggered from an Attack do trigger it (i.e. Marked Target)

I hope that answers your question.

I think the second question is more if Thief can target a model without the ball at all, for example to trigger Resilience, but also to generate Momentum.

1 hour ago, Ruffy said:

I think the second question is more if Thief can target a model without the ball at all, for example to trigger Resilience, but also to generate Momentum.

Yes. That was my question.

A character play doesn't actually have to be bought for a momentous :momGB: to generate momentum.  In season 3, there are no validity targetting requirements for character plays.  It's legal for oCalculus to attempt to Blind a model already blinded by oHemlocke, Zarola can use Midnight Offering on a Knocked Down model even though it can't jog and Gutter can use Scything Blow after pushing everyone out of her melee zone.  More pertinently, vSakana can use Fancy Footwork to target a model without the ball.  Like the Ball's Gone character play, if the first part of a character play can not be completed, it immediately aborts.  This means that if the targetted model can't lose possession of the ball marker, vSakana doesn't gain it.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:51 PM, Ridiculus said:

Two Questions came up about Mainsprings new (awesome) Character Play Thief.

1. If I’m Base to Base with a Target Model with Beautiful can I still use it? Because it’s range is just reduced to 0”? 

2. Can I target a Model without the Ball to trigger Resilience?

1. Yes

2. Checking...