Riozaki

Season 4 Discussion

Thoughts on season 4.  Seems to be amazing personally.
Now the question of which person do we drop for our 12 and who do you see as captain vs which team. Thoughts?

I now see see burnish into engineers and hunters. Hearth or furnace into fishermen.  

I don’t think Hearth’s legendary is competitive with Furnace at all.  +1 tac and Searing Strike is really strong.  Instruction and 2” reach within a 6” bubble doesn’t seem nearly as good.  That said, Anvil is going to be my pick most of the time.  The man can use all 5 inf and has a heck of a legendary.

Alloy/Hearth look like the easiest drop from the lineup to me.   Alloy tries to be flexible and ends up not doing anything well enough.  Hearth is decent, but her tech just isn’t as good as the other options.

I dunno a turn of vet cinder  sledge and someone else getting +2 net hits for free seems amazing, since she can go and then knockdown lots of peeps in a scrum from 3in out.

Searing strike is +1 net hits on anyone with armor for each attack after the first.  Then the +1 tac on every swing, and it’s not like Furnace can’t do KD himself at tac:7.  A little more gang-up maybe vs. immunity to crowd outs.  Hearth just isn’t in the same league.

What I am not happy about:

- removal of fire forged :( I used this trait the entire time to great effect. However the addition of a MP for the first round makes this better.

- Alloy loosing its free 2" reach. I get it. But still... You know

- Burnish causes only 2 DMG with his AOE. Why didn't the range of his character play just stay at 6" so it would be in line with every other Fire blast AOE???

- Farris loosing her legendary push = ball scatter and Impact. Yeah, her playbook got better but not by enough. In my eyes she actually got worse, but time will tell I guess.

What I am happy about:

- To be able to play Sledge and Anvil again.

- Iron becoming a 3+/2 (3+/3 inside Sentinel aura). I mean, was this really necessary? :) 

-  And finally CastBL**DY F**ING S**T!!! I used to play her the entire time as she was in S3 and absolutely loved her. Now she is just insane! 

+2/1 move, lover GB result, dodge on a 1, swift strikes is now a 2" dodge and she is now a natural 4+/1, while retaining all the nice, juicy, beautiful damage results and buffs. Whoooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah!!!! :D 

Going to have to disagree with you on Farris there.  For my money she’s now a legitimate captain contender on a score oriented team.  +1/2 kick is good, a free kick is really good.  Just for her it opens up strong ball retrieval and goal threat. Giving your team both in a 6” aura is damn impressive.  Sledge can turn 0 influence into a 4/12 pass.  Ferrite can take 5/10 snapshots.  Bolt is an insane goal threat with 1 inf.   Cast can turn swift strikes into a bonkers goal run through traffic.  On paper it looks like brilliant fun for a build that wants the ball.

edit:  just thought about what her kick-off looks like as a captain, with a 10 die tackle on 2 hits, 14” threat and a free kick.  That’ll wake someone up.  Even if you never actually do, just the shadow of her looming turn one is intense.

Posted (edited)

Running through my thoughts on the Team:

Anvil: ++ Much better now than he was before. Lower GB result, Faster, shorter playbook, better legendary, more health. 

Sledge: +++- Kills things much more effectively than before. Lost the Tackle-push on 1 which is the only downside that I see about him going forward, but he more than makes up for it with the murder capacity that he has

Furnace: ++ Legendary is scary, new One at a Time lads is great, Losing fire forged is sad when burnish reduces a condition stack off him. Very solid Murder captain.

oCinder: + Tackle dropped by one, bringing it into guaranteed range with instruction.

vCinder:  - - Tackle moved up a spot, Damage dropped on the top end. Worse than she was before, but by no means bad. Furnace's One At A Time makes charging into multi-man scrums an even more viable option for her.

Ferrite: - - - Lost all references to hobble on her card. Legendary play is an aura, rather than a pulse. No more speed up everyone then run off alone. Probably no longer football captain of choice for me. Edit: also, due to the legendary only working during advances, it slows down Iron's get over here. 

Iron: ++-  -1 HP, +1 Def, Impetus nerfed by 2 mov on the sprint. I think the +1 def (3/3 tough hide near a Sentinel Master) more than outweighs the minor losses. 

Hearth: + Better Legendary, nothing else changed. Wasn't expecting her to keep the 3" KD on one, but I'll take it!

Alloy: -- Lost free access to 2" melee. Still very solid, but he 's not nearly as far ahead of the pack now. Time will have to tell if anatomical and dirty knives keep him on the pitch.

Burnish: - - + Flame Belch lost damage and range, Reduction lost Range, Reinforced plating got better on most turns he's not captain-legendarying. Rather than running around lobbing fireballs at people, I think he stepped back to more of a control&protection piece. Acceptable, but I'll miss 12 damage in flame belches. It's great for eating annoying OPT plays though (theron pinned, Goad, Puppet Master can all fuck right off)

Cast: +++ Faster, better defense, swift strikes dodge increase, but only on her activation, dodges moved down in her playbook to compensate, tackle moved up, guildball moved down. Better all around than before, except for tackling the ball, but that's never what I was trying to do with her anyways.

Farris: + + - - Lower pushes and tackle and a fantastic football legendary bring her on to the pitch more often for me, the loss of impact makes me very sad, as she is no longer nearly as influence efficient. I'm not sure how Riding off makes people better at kicking the ball though, but that's not for me to guess.

Bolt:  -  No changes. Probably better in the smiths environment due to Farris being more focused on football, but move 8, 2 damage, and knock someone down still is a great way to spend 0 influence. (Bolt best Mascot) Edit: I have been informed that he can not shoemarang himself anymore, and this is a solid nerf to a guaranteed solo knockdown. so now it requires another model or a die roll, and I can live with that.

Overall, solid buffs to most of the smiths, and most nerfs were either small, or focusing the model's role. I  really like where they ended up, and think they got an unexpected boost from the changing seasons. 

Now watch as I lose every game going forward with them.  

Edited by Keredar
Sid read the cards better than I did.

@Keredar I would add another ' - ' to Ferrite: her legendary doesn't make Get Over Here! better any more, as the bonus applies only when you start an advance.

Bolt should get a ' - ', as there's a change: he no longer can Shoemerang off himself

Well done guys. All well reasoned and not too over the top. (What has happened to the internet? Reasonable!)

We will have to learn how to cope without Ferrite's speed buff for all the team after she runs away.

Personally I will miss the 3 armour on Furnace's legendary. On one occasion he was able to stand in cover and deny Shark the ball with this.

But there are so many neat tweaks to the players that should keep us all happy. I have not used Alloy & Hearth in my last few games. Coped OK. Didn't really miss them. There is so much other goodness  available. 

But I just heard about her legendary when Capt!

15 hours ago, Golden said:

Going to have to disagree with you on Farris there.  For my money she’s now a legitimate captain contender on a score oriented team.  +1/2 kick is good, a free kick is really good.  Just for her it opens up strong ball retrieval and goal threat. Giving your team both in a 6” aura is damn impressive.  Sledge can turn 0 influence into a 4/12 pass.  Ferrite can take 5/10 snapshots.  Bolt is an insane goal threat with 1 inf.   Cast can turn swift strikes into a bonkers goal run through traffic.  On paper it looks like brilliant fun for a build that wants the ball.

edit:  just thought about what her kick-off looks like as a captain, with a 10 die tackle on 2 hits, 14” threat and a free kick.  That’ll wake someone up.  Even if you never actually do, just the shadow of her looming turn one is intense.

I agree that as Captain she has a lot more viable play than she did before. But until the legendary turn happens or she is not selected as the captain, she got slightly worse in my eyes.

A potentially strong combination I see could be to muster a strong fighting team that can make some take outs and survive the first two turns and then quickly snap two goals on her legendary turn (assuming the positioning is great and the opponent can't kill the ball efficiently).

How do Blacksmiths play against the new Alchemists? I'm not sure if Armor and Tough Hide will be enough defense vs. their newly revealed condition game.

There are some ideas that can help:

• Excepting the conditions burning and poison, and the inclusion of Hemlocke, Alchemists doesn't have a good tech against conditions. You can abuse delivering knocked-down conditions. Also, I don't know is a good idea to put the burning condition on them because they can use it to fuel their traits.
  • Every Alchemist player has a form to put conditions on your players, so get used to lose 3HP every turn and to have a permanent -2"/-2"MOV. It's better to use MP to heal you up, rather than removing your conditions.
  • Only the Captains, the Kats and Compound can put the knocked-down condition, and only oKat can do it reliably, so they are very vulnerable to 2" melee heavy hitters (like Sledge, vCinder and any apprentice with Hearth's Use this!).
  • Alchemists don't have damage enhancements (like Tooled Up), or Defense or Armour penalties. Their TAC enhancements are personal (oKat and Venin).
  • Bolt is banned against Alchemists. He suffers the double with the burning condition (and he always will be burning).
  • It will be very difficult to kill the ball effectively. Crucible is an astonishing ball retrieval, and Midas can surpass our Armor tech easily.
  • Alchemists plays and traits are mainly pulses and AOEs, now. They will enjoy enemy clusters, so try to avoid them (maybe moving players in groups of two, for example).
  • Alchemists have lost Intensify, their most dangerous form to deliver damage.
  • They also have lost Momentous Inspiration. That means they have to approach to make some MP (if they don't have the ball, of course).

The area of Poison or Burning damage around Calculus, Mercury and Venin has gone up to 2" so it is unavoidable if they are to be engaged.

I think Cast's stock may have gone up.

Burnish seems an auto include against them.