Sign in to follow this  
Jotnebane

S4 Masons - what's your 12, what's your 6es

While we might be the guild with the most unchanged models I'd we'll se quite a few changes in the models seeing play.

What do you think will be your 12 and what 6 do you think you play in different situations?

My first pass thoughts are that Brick dropping to 1" and Granite's improvements mean I can straight swap them.  Dropping Brick, along with improvement to Wrecker, means I can drop Marbles.  Then, I think I drop Lucky for a Union.  Minx is tempting, but I think Snakeskin could be a fun place to park the ball against Fish.  So, if I were to play a s4 event today:

Honour, Hammer, Wrecker, Harmony, vHarmony, Chisel, vChisel, Mallet, Flint, Granite, Tower, Snakeskin

Firstly, I think the Steamforged did an excellent job of making every player a viable choice. I’m responding with my personal play style but I can’t criticise anyone’s choice in a player.

That being said, I think I’ll keep Brick in every list. He can’t counter unpredictable Movement etc. and he is no longer great at locking multiple players down by threatening knockdown parting blows, but he’s still the best player we have to do things without influence. I understand that he will no longer be a staple player in some people’s list but if I am playing a striker or 2 then I want an influence-less player.

I will still include Flint and Granite in my core 6 as Flint can score goals out of nowhere and Granite was fantastic before she got 2 inch reach. I developed a strong strategy in season 3 of having Granite and Brick do almost nothing except keep the opponent distracted while my strikers and captain scored 3 goals. Granite is also fantastic at setting up an enemy player to get wraps off them later in the turn and farm momentum.

I will be testing out veteran harmony, but I don’t know if I prefer her to Lucky.

I will also be playing original Chisel whenever I don’t need condition removal. She’s my favourite model in the game and her sculpt was the deciding factor in me choosing to play Mason’s. She might turn out to be the strongest non-captain model in the Guild, but we’ll have to test if we can outfight most beater teams with the Granite and Chisel changes.

I don’t know which captain or mascot to play. I think I’ll just play whatever captain sees the least play in my meta for the dark horse factor. I’ve also personally never liked oHarmony as I think she inefficiently uses influence, so I’ll be running honour without her and Hammer with either Mascot to test them out.

Liked @Mr. Grumble's suggestions. To me, going to 12 with 14 players available (not bothering with Union, no point as they have a limited lifespan in the team) means this is really a question of which two get dropped, rather than which to take.

Currently, my most obvious drop is probably Lucky - vHarmony's Field Medic is great, plus DEF 5 and :2: on 2, and the ability to take a hit for someone else at a crucial moment is great, while Lucky has similar playbook and a couple of abilities that are so-so (OK, the free INF is great, but is it worth taking him just as a battery? I don't think so).

I don't want to drop Marbles (Goad can win games, the threat of the assist on Honour is great, and if I do take Brick, the double counter charge is still nasty), but I now am tempted to take Wrecker more, as an 8"/10" mascot is pretty damn good on its own, plus the pushed on friends means I can do the Millstone thing on turn one, and potentially makes up for Hammer's bonus move play now requiring him to spend his own INF.

Brick is a maybe for dropping - that 1" melee is actually a big hit in a team with few 2" melees, and limits his counter. But he is a good battery and powers up Marbles... I'm pretty OK with the reduction, as it's clearly there to stop him being an auto-pick and so boost the chances of other players in making the grade.

Mallet... I spoked to CN³ at an event last month and he said he'd dropped Mallet completely as vChisel is just a better option pretty much every time. I don't know if he will have changed his mind with the change to Forceful Charge, but I'm not sure he will. It would be a shame to drop the old man, the legend (I have a Snotling in my Blood Bowl Ogre team named Mallet, Football Legend after him...), but it could well be the way to go, with both Chisels competing for the 2" melee support beater role.

At the moment, it's looking like Flint is going to be the only auto-include for my Masons, and even then, I could see a Chisel replacing him against some teams!

My 12: Honour, Hammer, marbles, wrecker, Granite, chisel, vchisel, tower, harmony, vharmony, flint, snakeskin

2 captains + 2 mascote is a lot of space but I like new wrecker and goad + assist will still win me games.

Didn't bring mallet in my 10 anymore for some months now and did not miss him. Now that oChisel is back he is out of 12 too. Brick is loosing so much with this mz reduction, I am not 100% sure yet but I think he won't make it either...

Most of my 6 will look like Honour + mascote + granite + one chisel + flint + flex