Sign in to follow this  
Chromatism

Expansions arrived!!! - but...

A lovely 'Prepare to Die' loot crate made it's way to my door today. Aside from extra dice I pretty much went all in, so the size of the thing was huge.

First let me say this: the detailing on the minis is lovely. An excellent job sculpting and tooling. But, and this is a big but, the moulding process isn't wonderful... at all. The mega bosses, by necessity, come in a few different bits and pieces. Most notably these are wings and arms for the various minis. I can see that some care has been taken to try and create push fit mouldings hot off the sprue, but this has created a bugger of a job for me.

To put it bluntly they don't fit. No amount of force will enable me to lock the arms or wings in place. So now it's time to break out all of my files and pinning equipment to knock all this together, then a serious amount of green stuff-ing should I choose to paint them. The Gaping Dragon in particular is a bit of a nightmare, considering that it's 'maw' is clearly two conjoined pieces of plastic that have been glued into it's chest cavity. The ridging around the sides is painfully obvious.

I'm at once delighted to have received all of this evil, and frankly a bit disappointed. I sincerely hope that anyone who isn't a miniature enthusiast doesn't encounter this problem.

The Black Dragon Kalameet arrived recently. I found a scalpel easier to reduce the size of the post on one of his wings rather than a file. The plastic clogged the teeth of the file.

But mind your fingers! 

The oddly bent horns I straightened by pouring very hot water on them. (I made tea with the run off!) Pulled and moulded the plastic to the correct shape then doused it all in cold water. He looks like his picture now. :)

I'm pretty disappointed in this regard too.  I'm not a mini enthusiast so I don't have the skills/knowledge/tools to shave these pieces down so they'll fit.  After spending so much money on these expansions that just have one mini I'm a little miffed.  Especially since I don't remember at any time seeing of the kickstarter (maybe I missed it?) "Some Assembly Required."

Right now I have to put in a good deal more effort than I thought I would do get the Guardian Dragon, and the Gaping dragon, completely assembled and of course risk screwing it up since I've never done this kind of thing before.

To folks that are having some trouble, SFG posted a YouTube video that instructs how to put these together. The short explanation is that you need to get very, very hot water in a cup and soak the plugs of the appendages until they become soft. Then press them into the sockets hard and wait for them to cool.