Sign in to follow this  
Nykolae

Free Cities Draft

Free Cities Draft Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What rookie would be your first chocie?

• Amber
    • Cutlass
    • Edge
    • Layne
    • Kami
    • Knuckles
    • Nomad
    • Champ
    • Gaffer
    • Flea
  2. 2. Which rookie would be your second choice?

• Amber
    • Cutlass
    • Edge
    • Layne
    • Kami
    • Knuckles
    • Nomad
    • Champ
    • Gaffer
    • Flea

Hi all!

It seems that since this weekend, our favorite choices have been splintered. Mostly due to personal preference, but also due to the Butchers suddenly wanting to first-pick our favorite, Champ.

So, just to make sure we're still on the same page, here's a poll for us to vote in. Also, some players are active here and not on Facebook. This is also for them, to be included into the choices.

My view on the rookies:

Amber

• She sounds like a less overpowered, 1" version of veteran Decimate. Knowing that the Brewers will put all their strength in this option, I'd actually not want to go for this. She also sounds quite influence hungry.

Cutlass

• She sounds quite like Skulk, but a bit more bashy. While a goalie is not something we'd actually need, it could help us out in certain match-ups that we're quite struggling in. Also, if she indeed plays like Skulk (with a lot of passives), she could work as a sort of battery. Our only actual battery model at the moment is Brick.

Edge

• A winger with an eye for the ball, and can play dirty. This one is placed very highly on my 'want'-list, as we don't really have decent ball-chasing models, besides Flint himself. Sounds like some sort of buyable dodge and Close Control from the fluff.

Layne

• A striker, which is said to be better than Flint? Bullocks! Also, he's a substance abuser, so I'm thinking there's going to be some randomness applied to his card. If there's anything we don't need, it's random performance. He sounds good on paper to play besides Flint, but I have my doubts about this one...

Kami

• Mediocre ball player with guns. Why would be need this rookie? The only part she'll bring is ranged plays, but we have no one to complement her. For me, honestly, picking her would just be to keep her out of Guilds that can use her more effectively. I'd rather shore up our own weaknesses.

Knuckles

• A bruiser-like defensive player, that doesn't like to actually deal damage. We have better options in Tower, Brick, Granite and Mallet, I believe.

Nomad

• A bard-like, roguish type of winger. I'm thinking this guy would be a model that is hard to hit. I'm thinking Charmed, Clone, Decoy, stuff like that. We don't really have someone to kill the ball on, so I see some use for this guy.

Champ

• When I read her fluff, I see someone like seasoned Spigot. Someone that chases after the ball, and makes sure it goes around the team, pressing for that goal. I'm thinking Ball's Gone, I'm thinking some sort of passing ability (I'm Open? On My Mark?). She sounds like the ideal ball retriever, that also makes the team pass the ball around even better. I've heard some people talking about 'why taking another midfielder?' I hear you, and I'm thinking someone like Edge or Nomad could be better, as our Captains already have lots of presence in the area Champ is going for. Still, I'd say she's a pretty nice pick to go for.

Gaffer

• A coach on the team with Hammer? This is never going to work. Sure, he might be able to throw in some buffs, maybe even work as a battery, but when would we actually need a full-on support character? We already have so many support models, as our entire Guild is basically built on synergy and buffing each other.

Flea

• A guy with his dog. Charmed (Animal)? Maybe some interaction with our mascots? I don't see him doing well in Masons.

So for me, our main focus should lie in Edge or Cutlass. Champ, Nomad and Layne are also quite desirable, but in my mind not models we should totally go for. For Edge, we're fighting the Hunters and Morticians. For Cutlass, we'd be fighting the Fish and Engineers, I'd guess. Champ is Butchers and Blacksmiths. Nomad is Alchemists and Farmers. Layne sounds like everybody's second pick.

Of course, this is totally personal. You could think of these rookies in a different light. I would say: change my mind? This topic should be open for discussion, so we can basically throw our full focus on 1-2 picks later in October.

Let's do this, Masons!

I would like to point out that we still don't have the full picture for Season 4 and our needs for the future might not align with our needs now. Edge might be good at chasing the ball, but the same could be said about Season 4 oChisel. We have yet to see the card of either.

That said, I will be hoping for either Kami or Gaffer, as I believe they're the most likely to be mechanically distinct.

10 minutes ago, PhazonTie said:

I would like to point out that we still don't have the full picture for Season 4 and our needs for the future might not align with our needs now. Edge might be good at chasing the ball, but the same could be said about Season 4 oChisel. We have yet to see the card of either.

Totally agreed with this, which is why I've asked everywhere for people to just log games. We need a high rank in the draft to get who we ultimately want.

1 hour ago, PhazonTie said:

While the Masons apparently is the guild with the least changes for S4 we know that Hammer will change a bit and Granite as we know will be a more viable model to hold down the center. I have no idea what role o.Chisel will get in S4, but based on the S4 event kit Tower will keep his Tooled Up and at WTC I heard a rumour that he becomes a bit better, I assume that this means that either his playbook changes or he gets some nifty adjustments to the back of his card. So if he becomes an even better support model we don't need yet another one of those.

I've never bothered with getting the union picks we can use so I'm mostly interested in another striker or winger to give us even greater ball pressure against beaty teams.

2 hours ago, Jotnebane said:

based on the S4 event kit Tower will keep his Tooled Up

The event kit only has Kick Off cards. How would there be info on Tower?

3 minutes ago, Nykolae said:

The event kit only has Kick Off cards. How would there be info on Tower?

Me not thinking thru what I wrote I guess.
But I still heard sometime during WTC someone say that Tower kept his Tooled Up and getting somewhat improved as well.

I like Egde, and has been said Masons have a lot of support characters already. Need more fast beaters/retrievers, with a side of striking ability. I'd like to see a more aggressive option for Masons. Not keen at all on Cutlass for Masons, as we already have Brick and Granite as defensive models, plus a lot of support players like Mallet, Tower and vHarmony.

Whats the check point Mason's?  Anyone settling on anything?  We also need to get more games logged!

So here were my initial top three.  Nomad, Champ, and Cutlass.  Now I made these choices based solely on the fluff and what positions I thought would give us even more balance.  Also Gaffer and Amber were a very close four and five.  After having read though everything here I will alter the top three to include Edge instead of Cutlass.  Which makes me say Nomad, Edge, Champ in order but still very close between them.  Then Cutlass, Gaffer, and Amber as the second three.  

Having read today's story, I think Champ would be a good choice for the masons. A player dedicated to winning the game, and wanting to be a "champ" would probably target the most prestigious team ... the champions of several past seasons! The tough/dedicated, hard-training approach seems to fit in with the story about Hammer etc. too.

So the blog the other day said "well done Masons, you finally picked a player!". I waited until today to see if they would show who was the top pick for each guild, but nothing doing. Anyone got any idea who the top pick is?

The latest story showed Mallet visiting Kami at the training camp, so could that mean Kami is leading the vote for the masons? Or is that just a story thing, and not reflective of the votes?

Kami? Interesting. A ranged play might be cool in Masons, and Kami doesn't seem to fit with any other guilds. Dunno how a pistol duellist fits with Masonry, but there you go... Maybe I'll throw some games her way.

I reckon if you sculpted some very ornate duelling pistols and maybe threw in some light samurai-type armour that could look in keeping with the mason's fine armour-work. Veteran Harmony has a bit of a samurai-vibe to her too. Hmm ... must find time to play some games!