Sign in to follow this  
LastWalter

Free Cities Draft Poll

Free Cities: Let's Just Vote  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which player(s) do you want from the Free Cities Draft?

• Amber
    • Champ
    • Cutlass
    • Edge
    • Flea
    • Gaffer
    • Kami
    • Knuckles
    • Layne
    • Nomad

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/2018 at 11:01 PM

Skimming the other Free Cities thread, it's hard to get a sense of what people are looking for, so I'd rather just have a poll. 

My thoughts:

Strikers: we have a ton of strikers. Since they are largely just different combinations of dodges and kick stats, I think we are the least likely to get something here. Exception: we don't actually have that much close control, so it's something I'm on the lookout for.

Butchers: we should just avoid what it seems like they want. 2 in 3 European players seems to play Butchers and its WAY easier to report at SteamCon than on forums. If we really want it, then we should go for it, but this should probably be the tiebreaker.

My picks: (right now, no particular order)

Cutlass: most goalkeepers are not good, but she would give us a very different sort of model. If she's a flop, she'll sit on the bench just like a 6th Striker might. Church, Fish, Engineers, Rats, Navigators all make compelling reasons to stop at least one goal.

Edge: another winger, but close control heavily implied, which I think we could stand to gain.

Honorable Mentions: Layne. Knuckles (for Corsair).

Please No: Gaffer

20 minutes ago, byronthebear said:

What is your beef with Gaffer?

I move the ball around a lot, and need people forward to scoop up the ball and score.  The more people in the backline who are not doing that, the less excited I am, especially if while doing so they aren't protecting the goal/kicking the ball back out like Cutlass might. =D

I'm more curious why Kami is so popular.  Kill the Ball seems decent, but I can't imagine her bringing much else to the table.

47 minutes ago, LastWalter said:

I move the ball around a lot, and need people forward to scoop up the ball and score.  The more people in the backline who are not doing that, the less excited I am, especially if while doing so they aren't protecting the goal/kicking the ball back out like Cutlass might. =D

Ya Cutlass is definitely going to be able to do that for fish. But i think Gaffer will bring something different, he will stay back and not do much probably get a tackle and pass up field. Also he is going to be a good battery for the team, we have a lot of greedy players on our squad. Then there is the support he could give us like free team work actions, melee buffs, movement buffs ect. A lot of possibilities with him. I will be voting for Cutlass but i see Gaffer’s potential.

47 minutes ago, LastWalter said:

I'm more curious why Kami is so popular.  Kill the Ball seems decent, but I can't imagine her bringing much else to the table.

I think most people just don’t want another guild picking her up. I personally would like to see her perform range debuffs, its a area of the game that could help a lot. I don’t really care for another ball control ability we have enough. I made a thread earlier and the more i think about it the more i like 

Cutlass, Gaffer, with Kami and Champ tied for third.

If kami had kill the ball, she could break the Standart anti shark Tactic by laying the ball down behind the lines. But I don't See the Benefit of cut lass. Most of the time I Hope that my enemies are shooting a goal, cause I will then become the ball back

I do not understand the love for Cutlass at all. It seems like a trap that SFG is laying for us.

"She plays the ball and has a Pirate name!"

Why does anyone want a goalie? The mirror and Navs are the only places I might even want a goalie.  All goalies before now have been meh and our general strategy is "score faster."  Having a goalie will just make people kill the ball even earlier.  We want them to score because all Fish want is a live ball. Who has it is less important than it being live. 

I think we should all start playing with Compound for a week and see if he actually adds anything. He's the best goalie out there right now. It might be a useful experiment. 

I think we should be going after Kami or maybe Champ. A strong all rounder sounds good. Tech to deal with ball killing seems good. I also like Knuckles for punching stuff and Amber for sounding like she wants to play the ball and punch stuff. 

If we do get Cutlass though I just hope she has some dmg on the card and 2" melee. Might be able to pull a serviceable Corsair buddy out of that. But still would rather a few other people before her. 

Not to mention that we already have the perfect slow support-battery in the form of Hag. I can’t really afford to spend two squaddie slots on slow models that hang around and don’t do much, so a goalie would be extremely hard to fit into a team even if I wanted one (which I don’t, for the reasons given by Frank).

Plus, if people want durable and disruptive players I’m pretty sure both Jac and Kraken will do a great job.

My decision to vote for Cutlass also is due to not really having a spot for anyone else. Look at all the rookies and think to yourself, "who do i drop for this?". We have ball winners and strikers in spades. Hag is a passive model that hands out movement and doesn't need anything for sure, but Cutlass can give us the option to protect the goal. You may not think it but we are gonna see more 2-2 teams out there. Passing and Shooting have Tap in, the kicking team has MP on turn 1, even Mist has his :momT: back after 2 seasons imagine how many other strikers with a similar result do you think you will see in S4? I think a goalie is gonna be essential in the coming month.

45 minutes ago, byronthebear said:

My decision to vote for Cutlass also is due to not really having a spot for anyone else. Look at all the rookies and think to yourself, "who do i drop for this?". We have ball winners and strikers in spades. Hag is a passive model that hands out movement and doesn't need anything for sure, but Cutlass can give us the option to protect the goal. You may not think it but we are gonna see more 2-2 teams out there. Passing and Shooting have Tap in, the kicking team has MP on turn 1, even Mist has his :momT: back after 2 seasons imagine how many other strikers with a similar result do you think you will see in S4? I think a goalie is gonna be essential in the coming month.

Given we only know the rules for 1 of our models at the moment there is no way to answer "who do I drop for this?".

Just now, Banjulhu said:

Given we only know the rules for 1 of our models at the moment there is now way to answer "who do I drop for this?".

The same could be said about the rookies. All we have is a paragraph or so to base our votes off, at least with the existing roster we at least have a clue of what they will look like in S4

No love for Edge for Close Control or Layne for super sweet player (maybe)?

As for talk of not needing a Goalkeeper. I play a lot of Hag, but I dont think she adds that much other than influence and some turn 1 power. I'd love to upgrade that position. Edit: specifically in context of Shark.

I also agree that I think goalscoring is going to be around more.

On 9/24/2018 at 12:05 PM, Frankanelli said:

I think we should all start playing with Compound for a week and see if he actually adds anything. He's the best goalie out there right now. It might be a useful experiment.

Eh, I think this would be a mistake. A Fish goalkeeper might actually be able to kick the ball way out and back to the middle of the pitch or something.

I just think this player represents the most interesting option based on the limited information we have.

I'll vote for Cutlass. I'm curious for Gaffer (but, come on ! I'm the only Coach of that team, Mate). I certainly don't want Kami. Gun's are for sissies ! (Well... If she bring kill the ball to the team, I guess we can negociate, but that will not happen to fish).

Goal Keeper are usually lame. This Season. The only good Goal Keeper I know off, is Skulk, and he don't really have any Goal related ability (well... he lose the one he had in S4 ...). But Options are Options. Also... Yeah, that's probably a trap, but she Is a pirate. And Fish can't let anyone else get those, right ?

And since we don't know nothing about any of them, I can only chose from the fluff part. And she's a pirate. Sorry

I like the idea of a goalie in Fish and I like pirate vibe of Cutlass, but I'd prefer a player with a different playstyle than what Fish usually have. Therefore I'll be voting for Kami. I'd like to see a player similar to Egret or Matagi in guild. 

On 9/25/2018 at 4:59 PM, PoMek said:

I like the idea of a goalie in Fish and I like pirate vibe of Cutlass, but I'd prefer a player with a different playstyle than what Fish usually have. Therefore I'll be voting for Kami. I'd like to see a player similar to Egret or Matagi in guild. 

It would be pretty different, but I just have no idea what we would do with Egret.

Knuckles is confirmed to be actually Numasai instead of Mald. Let's bring him into Fish so he can join Sakana, Hag, Tentacles and Fathom as best buds!

Which option fits the melee 2", kick 3/6" or better with dodges and/or ball recovery paradigm?

That's the one we should aim for otherwise we will likely ignore them in favour of models with a 2" melee, a 3/6" or better kick and dodges and/or ball recovery capacity.

53 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

Which option fits the melee 2", kick 3/6" or better with dodges and/or ball recovery paradigm?

That's the one we should aim for otherwise we will likely ignore them in favour of models with a 2" melee, a 3/6" or better kick and dodges and/or ball recovery capacity.

I think Layne is probably 1", but Midas-y playbook. Edge probably has close control. Champ is an all-rounder so decent kick-y stuff.  No idea about others. All these are just guesses.

In light of the new paradigm that is Fish playstyle, I'm not sure either Kami or Cutlass is what is needed.

Both Captains are now heavily football centric, but with Corsiar teaming up with the new Kraken and lesser extent Jac I'm not sure we need another defensive scrum piece that Cutlass seems to be geared towards nor the implied ranged ball killing of Kami.

What I think could be needed is model with a really good kick stat (better than our usual 3/6") to enable the attacking football game from the midfield that can add a bit of a melee buff to others (I would love an ability like Eye Spy in guild)

On 10/9/2018 at 8:36 AM, Banjulhu said:

In light of the new paradigm that is Fish playstyle, I'm not sure either Kami or Cutlass is what is needed.

Both Captains are now heavily football centric, but with Corsiar teaming up with the new Kraken and lesser extent Jac I'm not sure we need another defensive scrum piece that Cutlass seems to be geared towards nor the implied ranged ball killing of Kami.

What I think could be needed is model with a really good kick stat (better than our usual 3/6") to enable the attacking football game from the midfield that can add a bit of a melee buff to others (I would love an ability like Eye Spy in guild)

I agree in re-evaluating our pick, but who would you suggest? Layne?

1 hour ago, PirateCaptain said:

I agree in re-evaluating our pick, but who would you suggest? Layne?

Champ seems the obvious ones for good football plus stuff. Layne might also be that but seems to be leaning towards very good football only.