SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
malladin.ben

Trying my best not to break the NDA

With the boiler blog post coming up I am veritable bursting with excitement at being able to talk about the model changes that was for one of my favourite models at the S4 playtest.

And if they get onto vOx and that one thing that those who were there will know what I'm referring to sticks then I may well have a heart attack.

I really want to jump in and say something, but I know I can't.

Just going say Trust In Perkins (and the other guy who's better at GB than him, and The Other Steve). They've got us covered!

1 hour ago, malladin.ben said:

With the boiler blog post coming up I am veritable bursting with excitement at being able to talk about the model changes that was for one of my favourite models at the S4 playtest.

And if they get onto vOx and that one thing that those who were there will know what I'm referring to sticks then I may well have a heart attack.

I really want to jump in and say something, but I know I can't.

Just going say Trust In Perkins (and the other guy who's better at GB than him, and The Other Steve). They've got us covered!

Yeah NDAs suck don't they Ben! 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Luthon1234 said:

Well boiler is amazing. Hate the nerfs to fillet(?) but I think we might be able to reclaim our title of most damaging team this season

I honestly didn’t spot any fillet nerfs, what did I miss?

13 minutes ago, Geordiekrispy said:

I think just the not being able to make her DEF 6?

Ahh, fair. I haven’t done much butchering, and I’d never made her def6 so I didn’t register it as a nerf!

The range and bleed boosts will make her less likely to sit in melee and get hit though with a bit of luck :)

32 minutes ago, Mako said:

I honestly didn’t spot any fillet nerfs, what did I miss?

Swift stance and second wind nerfs really hurt her. Like our engineers match up just got significantly worse because of it but with things like increased damage/range increase/roast it probably won’t be too bad

You at least have kicker momentum in S4 to clear KD. But she is much more likely to be blinded/goaded/pinned now as well. 

But unless she gets a better KD (which she might), she can't engage models with a low <</>> on 2 anymore. And if a model with a high >> spikes to it she can't even second wind back either. We obviously need to know her new playbook and such, but right now in a vacuum she got a lot worse, even more so into control match ups where she was most needed. But we will see how things shake out - I have faith. 

Boiler himself looks really good though. 

So better to just embrace our new lord and saviour - Captain Ox. 

Well, now that I can talk about him, and a few other things, I can say what I wanted to say.

The first card I saw at the playtest event was Ox, and new things were going in the right direction when I saw his 1 dmg they ain't tough result. When I saw the 6" aura I knew things were happening to create a more dynamic game for the butchers. The ARM 2 was the icing on the cake.

Then came boiler. If anything I wasn't expecting a change before the event, but after Ox I knew he was losing swift stance. When I saw what replaced it at first I was a bit underwhelmed. I loved the new playbook, but wasnt much taken with axe throw on paper. I was wrong.

I'll explain why later, but for now let's talk about his playbook. The better top-end damage is great, but the real strength of that playbook is the KD. Unassisted, it's a 50/50 shot vs def 4, so just one gang up or a bonus time makes it a pretty likely result. That's what then gets him to the top of his playbook and let's him benefit from those better damage results. This gives him legs without princess around. So often before now I'd not bother giving him influence unless he was starting the round with Princess already engaging a target in range. Now he can do a pretty significant job even if you're playing Truffles. With that 1 gang up bonus, with 3 INF remaining on him, hitting the 4 dmg once and the 3 dmg twice is not unlikely. Add the bleed and its 13 damage without any buffs!

So, why was I wrong? Firstly I played him with Ox and meathook. Tooled him up first turn, shoved Ox forward and watched as my opponent stayed outside of 14" from him, stopping him from scoring turn 1 IIRC. When he eventually came forward and, being alchemists, set everone kn fire, boiler was able to throw the axe to get some damage out despite not being able to engage the slippery mr Midas. It was telling damage as Shank only just managed to finish him off. Second game I played him with Fillet. I kicked turn and sent fillet to one side, so he shoved his most valuable people over to the other side if the pitch and out of her range. However, that put them into boiler's range and with an axe throw and a marked target suddenly Fillet had +4" to her charge and the target was already bleeding. Beautiful!

If you add what we know so far together I think you can (hopefully) see that S4 butchers are going to be faster, more mobile at hunting people down and more able to put putvtuem damage with pace.

Throughout season 3 I've felt, and probably whinged, that butchers can't score takeouts as fast as other teams can score goals. I spent a good deal of time arguing for more interactivity on a goal run, which would potentially slow down goalscoring, but instead, it looks like SFG are trying to rebalance the game by giving us a faster and more reliable (overall). I've gotta say I love it as a plan. It refocuses butchers as the high damage takeout play and hopefully makes 6-0 a realistic prospect, if you want to go for it.

And that's before you see the changes to vOx and Shank.

Yea I really just want to see everything so I can start theory crafting! The boiler reveal... I’m gonna be honest I thought he was going to be nerfed to hell and man I was surprised and I feel like sfg really listened to our complaints 

18 hours ago, malladin.ben said:

that put them into boiler's range and with an axe throw and a marked target suddenly Fillet had +4" to her charge and the target was already bleeding.

Forgot that would be a thing.. Certainly makes him more than viable under both captains..

Man, waiting is hard. The next 12 days are going to go really slowly. Shame were late on, but that probably just means there's going to be loads of surprises and cool stuff. Afterall, alchemists are expected to be getting the biggest changes in S4, and they're the only ones after us.