Sign in to follow this  
RTBailey

Rookie Draft Info (NOT ABOUT WHO WE SHOULD PICK)

So, if you're part of the Butchers facebook group you've probably seen me post this already, but just in case some of you aren't part of that group, I think it's worth reiterating some stuff over here for everyone to see.

1) The most important part of the draft is the first week. As Butchers we have the largest playerbase, which means we should have the easiest time generating a lead on our opponents. If we can make that lead insurmountable, other guilds will move away from our picks, regardless of who they are. As such, we need to report as many games as possible as early as possible. I cannot stress that one enough.

2) If you don’t want a striker… That’s fine. Honestly, as long as we get the most games, we get first pick. We can work this out internally, like proper butchers. You want the big burly guy? Great, report games for them. You want the striker? Excellent, report games for them. If we’re in first, we can resolve this the old fashioned way and just see who gets the most games reported.

3) Don’t get complacent. One of the only reasons we won Gutter from the fish was because the Butchers managed to capitalise on the fact we could report lots of games at Steamcon UK and the fact some people managed to convince a lot of the other guilds that their results were a forgone conclusion so they should help us stopping the fish getting yet another 2” melee. We aren’t going to be able to do that again this time. Everyone’s in it for themselves.

4) S4 comes out midway through the event. Sounds obvious I know, but don’t judge your rookie choice on what our models are currently like. For all we know, going into Season 4 Steamforged could decide to start all butcher damage tracks at 2. Just because you think a model doesn’t pull its weight now (*Cough*Tenderiser, V.Ox*Cough*) doesn’t mean they won’t when S4 drops. Instead judge your choices on what you think we need that isn’t already covered or you want more coverage of.

5) Remember, none of these rookies have rules. Literally all we have is a little background and their position. The rookies are only going to get rules, TAC values and whatnot after they’ve been assigned to a guild. So choosing a rookie based on rules we ‘think’ they’ll get is a bad idea. For example, some fish players think if they pick the ‘right’ one they’ll get momentous damage in guild. That’s something Steamforged have been actively trying to remove from the fish, so no matter which they pick, they won’t get that but they’ll probably get a 2” reach and a decent kick stat. Likewise, no matter who we pick, they’ll almost certainly have momentous damage and a momentous tackle, because that’s something almost every single butcher has (For the record, it’s only Tenderiser and Truffles that can’t momentously tackle).

TLDR: Report as many games as possible as quickly as possible. Let’s play this event like the butchers would – strike hard, strike fast and leave a bloody wake behind us.

4 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

This post is Wisdom herself

It's not clear to me, though, if point #2 is correct. I was under the impression that the number of games reported by a guild for a specific player mattered the most. For example, if a hundred games for Butchers are reported, but 5 different players get 20 votes each, then that will be weaker for a specific player than another guild that gets 40 games, but all for a single player. So if there's fracturing during the reporting period (and, it's Butchers, so... go figure), that will be detrimental.

I’ll step in here and see if I can shed some light.

We’re tracking two different things during this campaign.

Firstly the total number of games played for each Guild. This determines the position in the draft. To be clear, this isn’t dependant on which player you report for - all games will contribute, regardless of the player chosen.

Secondly, we’re tracking the popularity of each player at each Guild. When your draft comes up, you’ll automatically draft your most popular player, unless they've already been drafted, in which case you’ll get the next most popular player that is available.

Hopefully that helps!

11 minutes ago, landstander said:

It's not clear to me, though, if point #2 is correct. I was under the impression that the number of games reported by a guild for a specific player mattered the most. For example, if a hundred games for Butchers are reported, but 5 different players get 20 votes each, then that will be weaker for a specific player than another guild that gets 40 games, but all for a single player. So if there's fracturing during the reporting period (and, it's Butchers, so... go figure), that will be detrimental.

The guild with the most games played get the first draft, this goes down through the results until every guild has drafted a new rookie.

When it is a specific guilds turn to draft, they will obtain the rookie with the most votes / games registered unless this rookie has already been selected, at which point they will work through the team preferences list until they are able to select an unclaimed rookie... 

1 minute ago, Redmaw said:

The guild with the most games played get the first draft, this goes down through the results until every guild has drafted a new rookie.

When it is a specific guilds turn to draft, they will obtain the rookie with the most votes / games registered unless this rookie has already been selected, at which point they will work through the team preferences list until they are able to select an unclaimed rookie... 

That's what I was saying, right? So, it actually does matter which player the Butchers want before games are reported.

1 minute ago, landstander said:

That's what I was saying, right? So, it actually does matter which player the Butchers want before games are reported.

Well, it matters in terms of which Rookie they end up with at the end of the draft, but if they win the first draft slot by even one game registered they would get the first draft pick.. This is regardless of whether they split their votes between all ten rookies and the team with the second most games registered all vote for the same rookie...

9 minutes ago, Redmaw said:

Well, it matters in terms of which Rookie they end up with at the end of the draft, but if they win the first draft slot by even one game registered they would get the first draft pick.. This is regardless of whether they split their votes between all ten rookies and the team with the second most games registered all vote for the same rookie...

Right. I think I see what you mean now. A hypothetical is illustrative:

Total Butchers games reported = 100

Total Fish games reported = 99

Therefore, Butchers pick before Fish.

Total Butchers reported for: Edge = 33, Layne = 33, Kami = 34 --> Butchers receive Kami

Total Fish reported for: Cutlass = 10, Layne = 5, Edge = 15, Kami = 69 --> Fish receive Edge

4 minutes ago, landstander said:

Right. I think I see what you mean now. A hypothetical is illustrative:

Total Butchers games reported = 100

Total Fish games reported = 99

Therefore, Butchers pick before Fish.

Total Butchers reported for: Edge = 33, Layne = 33, Kami = 34 --> Butchers receive Kami

Total Fish reported for: Cutlass = 10, Layne = 5, Edge = 15, Kami = 69 --> Fish receive Edge

As far as I understand, this is the case..

So as point #2 was expressing, the guild should register as many games as possible to make sure they get the first draft and then accept the majority vote for the most requested rookie...

. . .

. . .

. . .

...alternately play as Union and vote the player you don't want into another guild first....

1 hour ago, landstander said:

No, not at all, as mentioned by others above.

In fact, a bit of internal competition between potential rookies could go a long way towards inspiring more people to get involved...

Lots of people seem to want Layne, but I really don't want him. If loads of people start reporting games for Layne I'll be wanting to go out and get as many games reported for whoever it is I fancy, or just whoever is second placed at the time so that I do my best to ensure we get someone other than Layne. That in turn might incite others to go out and report even more games for Layne. And as a result butchers get the first pick, whoever it may be.

So, let's let the internal banter, memes and conflicts ensue and bring someone decent (not Layne or any other striker for that matter*) home for the butchers.

Cheerio,

Ben

* feel free to disagree... But know that you're wrong.

Yeah, this post's mostly just reminding people what our objectives should be, rather than inciting one way or the other. The place we don't want to end up is in 3rd or 4th most reported games, because then you could end up with something like this.

1st) Brewers on 100 games. 80 for Amber, 20 for Edge -> They get Amber

2nd) Hunters on 90 games. 80 for Knuckles, 10 for Kami -> They get Knuckles 

3rd) Masons on 80 games.  60 for Layne, 10 for Edge, 10 for Kami. -> They get Layne

4th) Butchers on 70 games. 40 for Knuckles, 20 for Layne, 8 for Amber, 2 for Edge -> We get Edge.

That kind of scenario is obviously a 'worst case' but it could happen if we don't absolutely knock it out of the park for games reported.

59 minutes ago, Selfy said:

What happens if all the players voted for are gone?

That's a good question..

I assume they are hoping that each rookie receives at least one vote per guild..

On 9/15/2018 at 11:34 PM, RTBailey said:

One of the only reasons we won Gutter from the fish was because the Butchers managed to capitalise on the fact we could report lots of games at Steamcon UK and the fact some people managed to convince a lot of the other guilds that their results were a forgone conclusion so they should help us stopping the fish getting yet another 2” melee.

I think I want to play less games now. 

Unfortunately, I was there and ringleading people into helping us. At the start of the steamcon weekend we were trailing about 60% to 40% in favour of the Fish getting Gutter. Over the course of the 48 hours we reported over 150 games in favour of getting Gutter. 

The issue was not enough people actually reported games during the event. That left us so far behind because so many people just assumed 'it'd happen because we have the most people'.

People have to actually get up and play games and report them, or we wont win, simple as that.

I was reporting about 1 game a week which isn’t much but we’ve gotten a lot of new blood into the store so I’m hoping I can increase those numbers the issue that I see is that we’re pretty divided on the rookies. I don’t know if other guilds are facing such a problem (I don’t think so, I think for brewers their pretty set on getting amber)