Sign in to follow this  
Kilion

Farris

Ok....How do I use her? I see people saying to kick off with her but what does that get me? If i kick off with her then she gets too far from bolt. I feel that i’m Missing the boat with her so give me some help people! 

These are some of the things you get with Farris:

1. INF efficiency: In a team that you only get 12 INF and has some very hungry players (Apprentices), every form of INF efficiency is welcome. Farris can work only with 1INF pretty well, (Sprint + Attack), giving her 2" melee presence (for Sentinel aura and melee bonuses and penalties), her -1DEF debuff to an enemy and a fantastic Momentum.

2. Bolt power-up: That's an obvious one, but it's still a powerful reason. Bolt can get 5 effective Influence if he begins near Farris. Throwing Shoemerang for free is invaluable. Also, the couple Farris/Bolt can do a lot of damage against the right target. Bolt can put 14 DMG in a turn reliably, against a Staggered, Shoemeranged target.

3. Ball fankiness: That's the weakest argument, because it's very situational, and even unreliable. Farris has three rules that makes her unique interacting with the ball. She can steal balls without Tackles (so overrides Close Control enemy trait), she can kick close free-ball markers (getting more kick distance and better kick paths) and, if she is captain, she can give the lattest ability to other close friends. Very few models can make these tricks with the ball, but, because of his lame KICK stat, they result difficult to take profit. Also, if she is captain, she can get a 20" goal threat: Quick Foot on her (2") + Sprint (10") + dropping the ball (2") + Kick (6").

Just be careful with not overextending her too much, because she is more fragile that she looks.

An attack up to 10" away that most probably will either trigger stagger or KD (both of them generating momentum) while you get into melee helping apprentices with sentinel is also a great option as you deliver a -1 DEF to an enemy model and set it easier for your apprentices to deal with it later. or if you can reach the model with the ball is an easy target to force to release the ball with TAC 6 and the opponent cannot use defensive stance, as you only need 2 net hits for it and bypass close control, is also interesting. 

I have been thinking about the new S4 Farris iteration, and she can be very tricky.

First of all, she is a good damn opportunity goal scorer. Just give her 1 INF and she will be capable of score from 20" away (sprint, drop the ball, activate legendary and shoot). Also, she is a decent ball carrier: a cover and her ARM3 can make the deal.

But my more interesting idea is making her captain when receiving the ball. Activate her first, with 1 INF. Recover the ball with her, activate legendary and pass to someone. If she hasn't enough movement, make a Pass & Go to put her aura in a better position. That means, in the best case, the other five players will have a free 4" dodge. With Hearth and her aura, these dodges can be doubled. With Anvil or Iron, you can almost begin the match 6" beyond your deploy zone. And you will still have 11INF to spend as you like.

This is a very powerful move. Imagine a Bolt first turn, last activation. If he begins his activation inside Farris' legendary aura, he will have 2 free passes. Best scenario possible: P&M from Hearth's aura (4"), Stamina jog (4"), free Ride Off pass with P&M (4", he must be inside Farris aura yet), free I'm Open! pass with P&M (4"), natural Sprint (6") and Kick (6"). All adds up a non-linear 28" goal threat, for 2 INF. And you can exaggerate more with Farris Quick Foot on Bolt.

With 11 INF left, you can do great exploits with your players. The first three activations would be master activations. First one, obviously, Farris. The other two, Masters that can buff your own players, rather than debuffing enemies: Furnace's Tooled Up and One at a Time Lads, Hearth's Instruction and Use This!, Burnish's Flame Belch for Cast. It's a fantastic way to setup takeouts while burning activations. The next two activations would be your killer Apprentices: vCinder, Cast, Alloy or Iron. The last activation would be Bolt trying a goal run. If all works, it can be a 6VP turn (1 takeout, 1 goal).

The play has its risks  though. If your opponent kicks off with a powerful striker, you will not be able to stop his goal. You are using the ball to get that 4" free dodge and the striker will surely steal you the ball easily. Also, passes can fail (even with 5 dice and a 3+ TN, the chance is still there), placing the ball in odd and unconfortable places. But, overall I think is a wonderful play. What do you think?

While S4 removed my favorite use for Farris as a very mobile sentinel aura with a 1 influence attack +sprint, I definitely agree with Petraites. I think there's a lot of potential for Captain Farris as a threat extension Captain, especially with Hearth. Bolt takes the most advantage of this but I think having a turn of free passes just for the dodges along with quick foot will have a lot of use in certain matchups.

13 hours ago, Tsar14 said:

While S4 removed my favorite use for Farris as a very mobile sentinel aura with a 1 influence attack +sprint, I definitely agree with Petraites. I think there's a lot of potential for Captain Farris as a threat extension Captain, especially with Hearth. Bolt takes the most advantage of this but I think having a turn of free passes just for the dodges along with quick foot will have a lot of use in certain matchups.

I also prefered S3 Farris over her S4 version. It's true her actual Legendary Play is really useful (even if she is not the Captain) and if in cover, she can protect the ball against most non-captain strikers, but beyond that, she is a pretty mediocre model. Her setup capacities reduces to Stagger, an unreliable KD, her melee zone and some pushes (in S3 was the same but she can do it for 1 INF); he is also a tax for playing Bolt and her KICK stats are the worst of the guild. I don't know what to think about her.

Just now, Generalbear said:

I'm sure being new doesn't help but how is she doing a sprint and attack for 1 inf

In s3 she had a trait that allowed her to make an attack if she went b2b with an enemy model during a Sprint.

Maybe not the BEST use of her as captain, but she makes a decent 1st activation goal scorer if your opponent receives. Have her kick off, load her up with 4-5 influence, and send her off. With a 10" sprint, 2" melee, and momentous tackle on 2, she'll usually be able to get into a position where she can steal the ball and score unless specific steps are taken to negate her.

Fair warning...she will almost certainly be murdered after doing this if you're playing against a team that's even remotely good at combat

She does have the speed to come back on where ever you need her though, and the opposition likely won’t be in position to score a snap back goal before that happens.