Sign in to follow this  
Tasku

S4 Skatha

Dear SFG,

I'm glad our time (all night) in that sleazy sleazy dive of a midlands Premier Inn was good for you. Despite the on-costs of the various creams and salves I subsequently required, this payment is entirely satisfactory, and represents sufficient hush money to buy my discretion for the rest of all time.  

A pleasure doing business with you.

She is very good. IMO she competes with Shark for the title of 'most ball pressure on the kickoff in the game' which is a pretty good place to be. She can switch to takeouts (or just get 1vp per activation) if she wants/needs to, and she enables the team pretty well with Cold Snap and the fast ground still.

I wouldn't want to play her into teams that can kill the ball well or outscore her hard, but she'll punish those that are bad at both - she seems great into teams like Farmers and Butchers, which is nice, while the matchups I expect her to have issues with - Masons, Fish, Morticians - are the ones Theron is very happy to handle by himself.

May I just say...

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's as if SFG looked at every problem I had with Skatha and were like, "Yea, you're right."

Restrictive AOE Placement? Yep.
Abysmal Playbook? Yep.
Abysmal Movement? Yep.
Cold Snap being hilariously bad compared to other condition AOEs? ......we'll meet you halfway.

She's still fragile to take down, her AOE can still benefit opponents, but now I can see what she's actually being rewarded with. Her movement tricks are insane and she actually has the movespeed to function without having to blow all of them!

This is an exciting time to be a Hunter.

She's awesome! New Blessing looks really good. I can't wait to try her out, looks like tons of fun.

Fun fact - when receiving it's now super easy to score with Maatagi and get Minx and Skatha in position to threaten the ball round 2. Fast ground on Maatagi, pass him the ball, bank momentum, Bless him. Now he can sprint 11", attack from 6" away and get 3" of dodges and momentum (or 2" dodge and harrier/2 dmg+bleed). Then he can shoot + bonus time the shot. :') 22" goal threat without even dodging from pass/snowball pass. 

Ok, I'm ready for the hate - this change makes me think some nerfs are coming. I mean, COME ON. Was she too weak before, as in not really able to fill her role as well as other similar captains? Of course. But this is... We've only seen 2 captains so far, 3 including Anvil. Skatha has been boosted far more than the other 2, I think. I will agree that she was used far less than those other 2 (setting aside the recent Anvil success, and the fact that Blacksmiths have a different dynamic). My point is - I'm concerned that the major changes and performance enhancement (other teams are going to demand testing, I know it) may result in power reductions elsewhere. Jaecar, I'm looking at you (we already know of one, assuming he keeps GnS).

You bring up some good points but I’m not too worried about nerfs just yet. I feel like everything we’ve seen that’s been designed with season 4 in mind has been pretty powerful. I feel like there has been an effort to bring the power level up for the entire game rather than try to bring the powerful things back down. 

1 hour ago, Hunters-15 said:

You bring up some good points but I’m not too worried about nerfs just yet. I feel like everything we’ve seen that’s been designed with season 4 in mind has been pretty powerful. I feel like there has been an effort to bring the power level up for the entire game rather than try to bring the powerful things back down. 

Yeah...must be the Masons in me. I'm already (ALREADY) annoyed at the nerf to Second Wind and how it impacts Masons... But anyway, I was thinking about Mataagi's threat with ONLY a Skatha setup. So, Blessing of the Moon Goddess and Nature's Chill only (so no Snow Ball, etc.). With 4 INF, he's got a reasonably safe 23" goal run, and that give +2 Momentum; that's :DD: on the Hot Shot for a :momD:, another attack on somebody for a :momD: (this would have to be a model he's engaged with, so if that's not there, forget it), the 2" from fast ground, for a total of 6" additionally to his 9" sprint and 8" kick. Nothing says he could get the :momDD: on his Hot Shot too... Egret may be worse! Assuming she keeps the new Swift Strikes, and can find a decent Snap Fire target OR get engaged in melee (I guess?), it's 22" for a cost of 2 INF and 1 MOM (for the Snap Fire) or possibly 23" and a momentum for a cost of 2 INF. And that's not taking a dodge from Snow Ball into account.

1 minute ago, Mistergone said:

The changes to snowball make me think that S4 will get rid of the bonus influence awarded every time a goal is scored

It has been stated by Jamie Perkins that goal influence is still there but snowball will not reward it, so supposedly the core rules make a distinction there.

On reading the blog I was disappointed that Snow Ball didn't allow for the pass and move shenanigans anymore. 

Then I just reread the card at the top of the thread and realized I'd misread it and it still does!

Yay!