Shojo

Free Cities Draft

Ok, well, what I see is a model with probably decent defense, more mobile than Brewer average, and good kicking. There's not enough there to say much else. Non-biased question: is that what Brewers need?

I feel like that’s a very good question. For me personally I say yes. I’d love to be able to add some more flexibility to my line ups in terms of being able to play football well. I feel like brewers as a whole lack the necessary skills to play a game not focused on take outs. 

1 hour ago, landstander said:

Ok, well, what I see is a model with probably decent defense, more mobile than Brewer average, and good kicking. There's not enough there to say much else. Non-biased question: is that what Brewers need?

43 minutes ago, Shojo said:

I feel like that’s a very good question. For me personally I say yes. I’d love to be able to add some more flexibility to my line ups in terms of being able to play football well. I feel like brewers as a whole lack the necessary skills to play a game not focused on take outs. 

First of all, from a fluff perspective she is 100% what the guild needs, I know this has no real impact on the competitive scene but I feel that we are more likely to get a player that can grow into a superstar if she has a story line to follow.. While there is nothing to say the other rookies wouldn't have a "destiny", it's easy to imagine Amber working her way back into the guild, been given some serious life choices to develop her character and ending up leading the guild a few years down the line..

From a rules perspective, I think a more football focused player is more "needed" than another brawler, she is also Female which is still an advantage at the end of s3..

Hardest / most interesting part of this event is that the first three weeks we will be bidding on players without knowing the full impact of changes coming in s4, however as one of the more popular guilds I feel we have slight advantage when it comes to "choosing" our rookie..

Looking at this event from a mechanical perspective, I feel our closest competitors (butchers / fish) for the first draft slot will also be after a brawler player so putting all our eggs in that basket may not be the best idea, and I just don't think we "need" a goalkeeper...

4 hours ago, Redmaw said:

First of all, from a fluff perspective she is 100% what the guild needs, I know this has no real impact on the competitive scene but I feel that we are more likely to get a player that can grow into a superstar if she has a story line to follow.. While there is nothing to say the other rookies wouldn't have a "destiny", it's easy to imagine Amber working her way back into the guild, been given some serious life choices to develop her character and ending up leading the guild a few years down the line..

From a rules perspective, I think a more football focused player is more "needed" than another brawler, she is also Female which is still an advantage at the end of s3..

Hardest / most interesting part of this event is that the first three weeks we will be bidding on players without knowing the full impact of changes coming in s4, however as one of the more popular guilds I feel we have slight advantage when it comes to "choosing" our rookie..

Looking at this event from a mechanical perspective, I feel our closest competitors (butchers / fish) for the first draft slot will also be after a brawler player so putting all our eggs in that basket may not be the best idea, and I just don't think we "need" a goalkeeper...

Agree with most of this. 100% on the fluff, but that won't be enough to deter other guilds - especially the Masons, who may be feeling vindictive. And the Morts are already making noises - go check. From a game play perspective - I dunno, does she really sound different than vetDecimate, who can control a game out of fear alone? I'm hoping reveals of the other rookies will dissuade other guilds from competing for Amber.

What makes this semi tricky is not knowing yet about most of the card changes. Despite SFG (Jaime I think) saying otherwise, I have to believe there's a change to vetDecimate coming. From that perspective, perhaps a similar model could fill in some gaps.

I feel like another model that can deal some damage and score goals would be great. The brewers have always struggled in that area for me and I feel like amber could fill that niche quite well. Plus she’s amber so we have to save her. 

6 hours ago, landstander said:

especially the Masons, who may be feeling vindictive. 

Even if we were, you guys'd still just 100% win out on sheer number advantage. There's no chance, so why would we even try and contest your main choice. Same with Fish and Butchers.

Nah, we'll stay in our own lane. 😉

Amber sounds like a fun player, but I think we should see what the other choices are before going all Amber-crazy. If you want her for fluff reasons, it might be better to let her go to a different guild, become better, and then maybe reemerge as a Brewer at some later point as a veteran model :D (like a reverse Spigot!)

However, IMHO a goalkeeper sounds a bit dull. I´ve never really liked the defensive play style that these models bring, and would rather like another offensive tool that´s a bit quicker than Stoker/Hooper etc., but maybe not as crazy as vDecimate. Anyhow, lets see how this evolves before making any rash judgements! :D

And what about a player who could consolidate a gun-line playstyle for Brewers? You already have Esters, Stoker, Stave and Hemlocke, maybe a player who makes viable their Character Plays (generating MP with CP, like Theron's Sun Strike, for example). It can open a new way to explore the Brewers.

3 hours ago, Petraites said:

And what about a player who could consolidate a gun-line playstyle for Brewers? You already have Esters, Stoker, Stave and Hemlocke, maybe a player who makes viable their Character Plays (generating MP with CP, like Theron's Sun Strike, for example). It can open a new way to explore the Brewers.

That may not be a horrible option although I would prefer if they just gave Esters "Moments Inspiration".. 

Also, you forgot Friday from the gun-line options... 

8 hours ago, Nykolae said:

Even if we were, you guys'd still just 100% win out on sheer number advantage. There's no chance, so why would we even try and contest your main choice. Same with Fish and Butchers.

Nah, we'll stay in our own lane. 😉

I dunno... gamers can be funny that way. We hold in-universe grudges for a long time sometimes. Do you really think there are that many more Brewers players than Masons? And, it's not JUST Masons, remember. There's nothing stopping the Masons players from negotiating with other guilds for their support (Union is an obvious example). You're probably right, that the Masons will pursue a model that is a good fit rather than retribution for vetDecimate.

BTW, there is no "you guys" for me - I play every guild...

My vote is 100% behind Amber, and sure, it's 100% for story reasons (well, OK, 85% for story reasons- I also would like a little more goal-scoring for the kutte squad), but that's still my vote.

We've played Brewers when they were really bad as a team, and we've played them when they were good; we're here because we love them and most of that isn't about how they actually play on the tabletop (although we love that, too). =)

I say we do whatever it takes to bring the lass home!

So Cutlass and Edge are up, a Goalkeeper and a Winger, both positions that the Brewers are not strong in. To me, they both could be valuable to the Brewers. If there's a strong push by another guild for Amber, the Brewers will need to keep their options in mind.

I suppose that's true, but I'd rather work for what's a good story than something based on effect on the pitch.  We're among the most popular guilds- if we make it clear early and often that we're after Amber, the others may look elsewhere anyway.

10 minutes ago, Fish-in-a-Beer said:

I suppose that's true, but I'd rather work for what's a good story than something based on effect on the pitch.  We're among the most popular guilds- if we make it clear early and often that we're after Amber, the others may look elsewhere anyway.

Oh, your priorities are clear, and that's fine. But, if there's anything I've learned over the last 2 years, it's that what I think should logically happen and what I want to happen do not make that thing happen. So, keeping reality in mind while evaluating scouting reports (as much as one can) is wise, which is a Brewer trait? Well, whatever...

Haha, fair point!

Considering things from the tactical perspective, even, I think I'd still rather have an attacking midfielder who seems like a good kicker- in my experience, I like doubling down on my strengths rather than shoring up weaknesses when I'm creating lineups; this is one of the reasons (aside from her rules) why I just don't play Bushel much when I'm picking a Farmers lineup.  What she does is neat, strikers are nice to have, but it's so different from what the rest of the guild is trying to do that it ends up often not working well in concert with the rest of my plan.  Friday is a nice striker for us because she can contribute in other ways when she's not making the goal run, too- if Amber as an attacking midfielder turns out to be a model like her, maybe a LITTLE less good at scoring but a little better at scrumming, I think she'd be a fantastic addition to the squad.

#saveambersavethedrunks

Dude, I agree on Amber - she should be a Brewer. I'm saying - what other position is a bit lacking, in Brewers, that one should keep their eye on, in case some other guild goes for her hard, and "lobbies" others to report for them? The one position I think one can honestly say is well represented in Brewers is Striker - they have the most squaddie Strikers of any guild.

Totally agree with you we should be thinking about backup plans just in case- I was trying to say that before, but lost track of my point during my last post in my excitement over the narrative possibilities. =)

If we CAN'T get Amber (though I think we can if we push hard), I'd vote for a striker or a winger over a defensive midfielder or a goalkeeper- I don't think "hunker down" works well for us with our speed issues, and we have plenty of players who can do that, anyways; we need somebody who can get up there and get involved.  A coach could be interesting, but that seems like a strange thing for a rookie to become!

I don't think any of the ones who have been revealed so far sound like our kind of players; I particularly am not interested in the one who came out today (Layne).  I guess we'll have to see what else turns up!

I want to make a pitch for Kami, for one main reason. Back when I played Brewers, I liked playing their version of the gun line - I called it the grenade line, because the range wasn't quite as far as the Engineers. But it sure sounds like she's got some ranged abilities going on, including something that sure sounds like Kill the Ball, though she's no big footballing deal. If the bid for Amber falls through, Kami might be a decent consolation.

2 hours ago, landstander said:

If the bid for Amber falls through, Kami might be a decent consolation.

Out of the four other "not Amber" rookies revealed, Kami is the only one I'd be mildly interested in.. I do however think she is going to be the most contested draft pick based on the reaction over on Gu.B.S...

We still have another group to come next week although I'm expecting them to be mostly defensive, and above all else, none of them are Amber.. 

#saveamber #bringamberhome

1 hour ago, Redmaw said:

Out of the four other "not Amber" rookies revealed, Kami is the only one I'd be mildly interested in.. I do however think she is going to be the most contested draft pick based on the reaction over on Gu.B.S...

We still have another group to come next week although I'm expecting them to be mostly defensive, and above all else, none of them are Amber.. 

#saveamber #bringamberhome

Really? Haven't checked GuBS today. I have found this campaigning/discussion more difficult there.

Not interested in Edge? Brewers could always use more speed...