dwhite87

Free Cities Draft -All Butchers Read-

39 minutes ago, Totally Not A Fish said:

After looking at them for a while i'd really like to see Nomad, or gaffer on the team to bring some cool effects to our game.

Those two would be neat, but I'm hard pressed to see a situation where we don't already have the tools and effects we need. Marked Target, Butchery, Quick Foot... just because our tools aren't flashy doesn't mean they don't work.

39 minutes ago, Totally Not A Fish said:

But going with the popularity id probably say we should go Kami. I think we can have a chance at something great here. If we pull a ranged attack like Cinder with ball clear like salvo we could really control our non fight matchups even better. 

We really, really should not be going for imagined character plays. Just because a model has a ranged weapon doesn't mean in the slightest they'll get something like kill the ball, hot shot, etc.

It should also be worth noting, Steamforged have done a lot in all the blog posts to remove ranged plays from teams they don't think should have them. Brewers lost 2 off Esters, for example and I think we can all agree, of any of the teams Butchers and Brewers are pretty close in design.

Also, from her fluff it sounds a lot like she wont work well in our team. Outright turning her guns on us, etc. Maybe she'd even have Maverick, which would be awful. Even worse she's described as being mediocre. Who wants mediocrity when you can have raw talent or a ruthless ethic to the game?

If you don't want a striker, that's completely okay! But I think the best option outside of Layne is Champ. Ruthless, talented and driven.

I mean, also, with a name like that, are we sure you aren't a fisherman spy? :P

Just a heads up as the event starts soon - general consensus / rankings are as follows:

1st: Champ

2nd: Layne

3rd: Kami

4th: Knuckles

5th: Edge

That's not to say you can't vote for other folk, etc, but that's the current breakdown from the facebook groups.

#ChampnotChumps #SmokedMeat

I think Flea would be a cool addition to Butchers. He's small, mobile and reasonable at football, which would be useful to have. Having ways of messing with opposing mascots would be a handy thing to be able to do, since it would mean there are six viable / relevant takeout targets on the field rather than just five.

Also, I think the fluff / background for the guy would be great - Butchers run the slaughterhouses, and having a Judas Goat style animal keeper in them would be an interesting character. 

I think we can now see, going for goals has no place in the butchers game plan. Ranged damage sort of fits, but really we want a fast, ruthless killer. Champ is about as close to that as I think we're going to get.

11 minutes ago, Luthon1234 said:

Maybe we draft kami or chump what are we getting? Two angry people who really don’t want to be in our guild. Layne, can be molded into a ruthless killer.

I know Kami doesn't want to play for us, but why champ? Im not sure Layne could be moulded into a killer of anything but his own brain cells

9 hours ago, Luthon1234 said:

Maybe we draft kami or chump what are we getting? Two angry people who really don’t want to be in our guild. Layne, can be molded into a ruthless killer.

Yeah, Kami's the one who doesn't want to be with us. I'd put votes behind Champ, who does and sounds like a butcher through and through. Hard graft, willing to put the time in to get good and with a ruthless attitude.

Kami, a 'chatterbox' according to Edge and "Mediocre" according to the scout at the game, who's only validated by her weapons? Nah, screw that.

And there's Layne who's the most talented striker the scout has ever seen. IMHO, it's Champ if you want a fighter or Layne if you want a striker, not Kami.

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

We have a future Captain in Champ or a future all star Sniper in a clean Layne. Why is Kami even on our radar?

Because for a while there was both a lot of support for Layne and a lot of people against taking him with no one else really that fit the bill.

If they're going to temper these rookies to fit a guild's playstyle, and the Butcher's have been deemed a beaty team, how good of a striker will Layne be if we draft him? Will his scoring plays/stats suffer on the Butchers? WIll he be a draft bust for us?

7 hours ago, Redtiger7 said:

If they're going to temper these rookies to fit a guild's playstyle, and the Butcher's have been deemed a beaty team, how good of a striker will Layne be if we draft him? Will his scoring plays/stats suffer on the Butchers? WIll he be a draft bust for us?

We already know the answer to that and that he’s probably similar to obrisket 

10 hours ago, byronthebear said:

What about Knuckles? The butchers do lack in big defensive guys, besides Tenderiser. Knuckles could be more active in the game and supply a easier KD.

When the Cooks come out Roast looks like he will do this job VERY well. From looking at the cooks release pack image with squinty eyes and zoomed in, He's TAC 6 with intimidation (treats opponents as -1 DEF), he's got good momentous damage across his book with a push with each one and a KD on 2. He's got a playbook triggered character play the sets enemy models on fire within 3" of him and that play that give the team cheap charge that was spoiled with boiler? That's his, too! Add to that the looking at the model he's probably got Resilience, he's going to be a solid pick if you want that sort of role filling.

That said, there's some people hate the model, so for them Knuckles might be the model to fill that gap without relying on Cooks, but for me I'm sticking with Champ.

35 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

When the Cooks come out Roast looks like he will do this job VERY well. From looking at the cooks release pack image with squinty eyes and zoomed in, He's TAC 6 with intimidation (treats opponents as -1 DEF), he's got good momentous damage across his book with a push with each one and a KD on 2. He's got a playbook triggered character play the sets enemy models on fire within 3" of him and that play that give the team cheap charge that was spoiled with boiler? That's his, too! Add to that the looking at the model he's probably got Resilience, he's going to be a solid pick if you want that sort of role filling.

That said, there's some people hate the model, so for them Knuckles might be the model to fill that gap without relying on Cooks, but for me I'm sticking with Champ.

We don’t actually know if Roast will play for the Butchers though, so putting all your eggs in that basket might be unwise.

43 minutes ago, Falkman said:

We don’t actually know if Roast will play for the Butchers though, so putting all your eggs in that basket might be unwise.

Yes we do. It's putting 2 and 2 together, but we can see from the cards clearly enough to know that Get it While it's Hot is only on Roast's card, and the blog post says that that play will be available to butchers. Plus also I'm fairly sure it's been specifically mentioned by SFG peeps at an event.

1 hour ago, malladin.ben said:

We can see from the cards clearly enough to know that Get it While it's Hot is only on Roast's card, and the blog post says that that play will be available to butchers.

Well spotted, consider my point moot then! :)

As a potential Butcher player that makes me happy, and as a Fish player he’s someone I can easily avoid anyway so it’s a win-win!

Hate to add to the mix but I have been backing Gaffer as our second choice, Champ for first. I have no interest in another striker, I think oBrisket is the best we will ever get (hopefully she gets better for season 4) and would rather have a butchery butcher (like what I hoped for from vGutter). Gaffer I like for two reasons, 1 he is a coach and I think there needs to be more of them in the game and 2 he seems a bit old school and I think he could be a bit like Ox and Wellington with things like tooled up or the owner and sit in their camp fluff wise....

On 10/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, masterkdog said:

Hate to add to the mix but I have been backing Gaffer as our second choice, Champ for first. I have no interest in another striker, I think oBrisket is the best we will ever get (hopefully she gets better for season 4) and would rather have a butchery butcher (like what I hoped for from vGutter). Gaffer I like for two reasons, 1 he is a coach and I think there needs to be more of them in the game and 2 he seems a bit old school and I think he could be a bit like Ox and Wellington with things like tooled up or the owner and sit in their camp fluff wise....

Unfortunately Gaffer's the first pick for at least 2 guilds ahead of us currently, so putting games into him is unlikely to get a huge amount of results, unless there's a big change in the rankings.

On 10/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, Redtiger7 said:

It's worth remembering SFG are being a bit more flexible with the design space for strikers this season. There are definitely some 'pure' strikers still, but there's a few that have the potential to do some impressive amounts of damage (Looking at Bushel with that 3 at the top of her playbook) and for added interest - remember that Fillet is a striker as well. Striker can relate to where on the pitch a player tends to be as much as anything else.

But I digress. When it comes to choosing the top three, the longer the event goes on, the harder it is to shift someone into the top three for a guild.

Realistically, unless we jump up in the rankings significantly, our choices should be between Champ, Cutlass, Knuckles, Layne, Flea or Kami.

Champ is probably the best choice for us, because by the looks of things she's a good, aggressive midfielder (like O.Gutter) with the potential to have a decent kick, or, importantly, passing stat, given all her fluff. That kind of thing is perfect for getting the ball to Brisket for snap shots, etc.

Knuckles wouldn't be awful, but it sounds like he'll have a lot of overlap with Roast which would be okay, but not great - we already have Boar and (the hopefully improved) Tenderiser and V.Ox and all of them end up as free momentum farms for the enemy due to Butcher's generally low defense.

Cutlass - it's a goalie. We don't want this.

Flea is an out there pick, but not worth our time by the sounds of things.

And Kami sounds bad both in the fluff and descriptively - a mediocre player that's validated only by her equipment isn't something we need. Plus the fish might end up with her, considering how much higher up in the charts they are as of the time of posting.

Outside of that, taking Layne would give us the chance to run something different to Brisket, which would be nice (variety is good after all).

Why are the butchers so focused on Kami? Each guild has their design space, and 'ranged damage' is a place where the butchers aren't ever going to flourish, and her utility tool kit is most certainly going to be weak if not non-existent. They brought up that Kami would likely be out of place in Butchers, and I took that as a warning that she might not be a great choice for this guild. Like Layne's addiction that bit of fluff likely exists (at least in my mind) to explain why she could be excellent at her advertised role in one guild, but only passable in another, because at the end of the day each guild will conserve their core gameplay style, none of the rookies will dramatically change it. Rather they will grant new options and different and interesting ways to perform your guild's basic strategy. For the butchers, this is run up and kill, and maybe grab a goal if the enemy team over-commits. She also feels really out of place in both theme and aesthetic for you guys, even in a butchers uniform. 

Also story, we wouldn't want to make Kami sad would we?