Sign in to follow this  
Tasku

Free Cities Draft Discussion

After reading the blog post about the changes to the guild in season 4, it seems that the alchemists are going to need to engage opponent's a lot closer than before. This makes me lean towards wanting to get knuckles even more now to help protect our squishy scientists. 

I actually think a striker should really low down on alchemists priority list. Given the general high movement and kick stats of nigh on the whole guild there are no shortage of striking options. My personal vote is for knuckles, for the same reasons as Meejosh gave, Smoke would really like someone who can stand in place and take a few hits, but I am not opposed to nomad as movement jank wins games, or kami, because guns

11 minutes ago, cabbagecannon said:

I actually think a striker should really low down on alchemists priority list. Given the general high movement and kick stats of nigh on the whole guild there are no shortage of striking options. My personal vote is for knuckles, for the same reasons as Meejosh gave, Smoke would really like someone who can stand in place and take a few hits, but I am not opposed to nomad as movement jank wins games, or kami, because guns

You don't think Kat, especially with the new free charge, does the trick?

With obvious "not seen his season 4 card yet" provisos I think oKat is fairly good at taking a bit of a beating. Problem is, with no def tech other than loads of hp he is kinda vulnerable momentum farming and chip damage. I tend to use him more as a mobile threat than a central lynchpin anyways, which is why I'd like to get knuckles

1 hour ago, Bertwemet said:

After reading the blog post about the changes to guild in season 4, it seems that the alchemists are going to need to engage opponent's a lot closer than before. This makes me lean towards wanting to get knuckles even more now to help protect our squishy scientists. 

I had a similar thought regarding the draft. My experience playing Alchemists is that they can be very fragile. When playing S3 Smoke, I was good as long as I kept the enemy at bay, but once they got close enough to engage, I had to finish the game fast or my team would just fall apart. Right now, oKat is our main brawler. Venin may help depending on how he is changed. But it would be nice to have options (e.g., Flea, Knuckles) for someone that can engage and disrupt the enemy while the squishy Alchemists maneuver about. Also, having an option to oKat lets us take vKat when we want damage.

The other thing I was thinking is that we could benefit from some source of Momentum generation, such as momentous dmg. Decimate can fill that role to some degree, but once we lose her and Smoke's aura, we may struggle a bit more with that. I tend to think damage dealers, such as Kami, may be able to accomplish that, but she seems like a model that will go early in the draft.

I see a lot of talk about Nomad, but it's hard for me to gauge what he would offer and how that fits with what we would need as a guild.

http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/28-9-2018-free-cities-draft-update-week-1-guild-ball

Seems like we have picks: Nomad 1st, Knuckles 2nd and Kami 3rd.

Nomad is only interesting to Farmers, and even there as 3rd pick.

Knuckles is in top3 for Blacksmith's, Brewer's and Butcher's.

Kami is in top3 for Butcher's, Cogs and Fish

So overall looking good! Let's go and report more games than Farmers and Nomad should be ours!

28 minutes ago, Tasku said:

http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/28-9-2018-free-cities-draft-update-week-1-guild-ball

Seems like we have picks: Nomad 1st, Knuckles 2nd and Kami 3rd.

Nomad is only interesting to Farmers, and even there as 3rd pick.

Knuckles is in top3 for Blacksmith's, Brewer's and Butcher's.

Kami is in top3 for Butcher's, Cogs and Fish

So overall looking good! Let's go and report more games than Farmers and Nomad should be ours!

"The Alchemists are one of our most focused Guilds, with plenty of support for Nomad especially, although it looks like both Knuckles and Kami are creeping up in popularity. Plenty of you must be excited about a triumphant S4 return, given the sheer volume of reported games, but that also means other players can easily make the top three if interest swings their way… "

Nice showing, gang!

Just repoted a game for Knuckles. We can't let up, unless we want a repeat of what happened with the last community event. Stupid Cogs.

I got really excited after seeing that the Alchemists are currently positioned to get the 4th pick of the draft. Then that excited feeling faded to nervous anxiety after doing a mock draft based on the guild votes from the 1st week results.

1st Pick: Farmers take Nomad.

2nd pick: Blacksmiths take Knuckles

3rd pick: Fish take Kami

4th pick: Alchemists get nobody we want.

Looks like I have to try to fit in more games this week to puts votes in for Kami, Knuckles, and Nomad.

I logged two my first two games last night, one for Nomad and one for Kami, but what I want to know is how much do you need to write for the match report? I think I went overboard on the detail and it took me a long long time. Will they reject the submission if its not detailed enough though?

As whichever weakness that is, it is intended and wont get fixed.
Clearest example - Fish wont get mom-damage, no matter which rookie they get.

12 hours ago, Bertwemet said:

OK guys. Now we know what we have going into S4. What are our weaknesses? What are we missing?

I still see us benefiting from a couple of things:

-Someone defensive and disruptive like oKat, to help keep the enemy from deleting us while we do our thing. That would point to Knuckles. Although, if Hunters seem like a low pick order, we could try to get Flea!

-Some form of damage to help finish off models weakened by conditions. Kami seems to fit here.

I just don't know what to make about Nomad. He gets a lot of attention in our discussion of the draft, but I have a hard to assess "jank" and we seem to have a strong selection of ball-handlers (Midas, vCalc, Crucible, Vitriol, Smoke). He seems interesting enough that I'm not opposed to him at all. I just don't know that he offers us something that we don't already have a lot of, already.

3 hours ago, DrDoak said:

I still see us benefiting from a couple of things:

-Someone defensive and disruptive like oKat, to help keep the enemy from deleting us while we do our thing. That would point to Knuckles. Although, if Hunters seem like a low pick order, we could try to get Flea!

-Some form of damage to help finish off models weakened by conditions. Kami seems to fit here.

I just don't know what to make about Nomad. He gets a lot of attention in our discussion of the draft, but I have a hard to assess "jank" and we seem to have a strong selection of ball-handlers (Midas, vCalc, Crucible, Vitriol, Smoke). He seems interesting enough that I'm not opposed to him at all. I just don't know that he offers us something that we don't already have a lot of, already.

I would have to agree. It seems that Nomad would  compete with a lot of player's that have a similar function. After seeing the S4 roster Knuckles is my top choice and Kami is number 2 for the same reason's DrDoak gives.

Fluff side note: Nomad seems like hes just the worst player on the pitch.

Edited by Bertwemet

We're pretty low on the draft at this rate, aren't we?  Maybe we should solidify a fourth choice.  I've been reporting games for Cutlass because she seems similar to Knuckles but much less hotly contested.  What do you guys think?

Last update we were in third place which I wouldn't say is low, and personally I'm not that into cutlass, she's a goalie and we already have that in compound. But to be honest I haven't considered a fourth option yet.

4 hours ago, Sanageyama616 said:

Last update we were in third place which I wouldn't say is low, and personally I'm not that into cutlass, she's a goalie and we already have that in compound. But to be honest I haven't considered a fourth option yet.

She's a goalie now, sure, but you're not playing the long game.  vVelocity was a goalie last season and no one took her because she was way worse at it than Compound because Compound is amazing.  If we draft Cutlass, no one else gets a goalie, no one takes her for a season and she gets reworked into something else season 5 except she doesn't have the same name as one of the best players in our guild so she may actually see play then.

I think the rework on vvelo is a one time thing...i dont think sfg wil change the Position of players often...

Two Goalies in one team are to much... i think sfg realised this...and changed it.

but when the players draft a second goalie at free will....its there fault and not the decission of sfg. ..

I don’t think we should draft someone just to try and deny them to someone else, and then pray that in a season or twos time that they get reworked to be useful, that’s a very very long game. 

Suprised to see Knuckles suppport drying up but I’m happy to see champ up there. So long as we maintain our high position in the draft I’m certain we’ll get a great draft pick.

Given Farmers are likely to have a very high pick and the Union are agitating for them to pick Nomad, we may well need a back-up plan. And that's where we may fall down as we don't really have one.

I'm coming round to Kami. She could well be a Decimate style player, which is right up my particular alley.