LeadDiceandBeers

The Free Cities Draft

10 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

So if two people work together on the battle report, can we each post it for  our respective guilds?

Yes. Same as last year, every game played counts. 

14 minutes ago, MakeGhastA2/3Influence said:

So it mentioned minor guilds could support majors outside their own, is that a flavor thing, or can you say have a shared model between say falconers and butchers, if the falcs support the butchers in the event.

It means the Falconers are betraying their major guild and will likely have fluff impacts. Minor guilds will not get any new players. They are 8 max. 

Is “Amber” going to keep her beer-themed name?

I realize that Brisket, Spigot, et al, kept their old theme names going to new teams, but does no one else find this silly?  Some kid’s mom names him D3athXsl4ylerX, in the hope that he ends up sportsballing with the edgelords, where his name makes sense.  Then he gets drafted by the Farmers, because they really need a power forward this year.  Now poor D3athXsl4yerX is hanging with guys named “Grange” and “Plowman”, and he feels a little out of place.

Maybe I’m alone here, but the theme names defied belief BEFORE players moved from team to team.  (Like, in story, how was everyone in a name-appropriate team at the launch of the game?  Are we really supposed to believe this sport has a long history when players didn’t move around before RIGHT NOW, despite there being nothing keeping them in place?)  If you can have a theme name before even joining a team, what in the hell is going on that kids are named “Scalpel” at birth?

I've mentioned in a previous Forum thread that I've always imagined Guild Ball players pick their name within theme like a nickname. Since this is somewhat modeled on real life football (soccer), guys like Pele come to mind where it's not their REAL name but how everyone knows them. 

A GB example might be Decimate here, who has been called Svetlana in the fluff.

1 hour ago, skcpae said:

I've mentioned in a previous Forum thread that I've always imagined Guild Ball players pick their name within theme like a nickname. Since this is somewhat modeled on real life football (soccer), guys like Pele come to mind where it's not their REAL name but how everyone knows them. 

A GB example might be Decimate here, who has been called Svetlana in the fluff.

That doesn't really speak to my point though, for two reasons.

1) Decimate is explicitly some kind of princess living under an assumed name.  There's never been any indication I know of that Rage, for example, was ever known by a name other than "Rage".  To the contrary, characters refer to themselves and people they are specifically endeared to by theme names.  That's kind of weird if it's an assumed identity.  Moreover, there's examples of guys using actual names.  Harry, Theron and Ikarus just missed signup day, maybe?

2) These are true rookie players.  They don't have a reputation to be known by.  If some nobody gets to choose a sportsball nickname before even joining a team then why/how aren't rosters far more off-theme than they are?  The man known as "Guppy" might WANT to be a Fisherman, but if Blacksmiths need a center then he's "Guppy the Blacksmith".   Rinse and repeat, if all/most/many players are picking names before they're drafted then the teams shouldn't have such painfully specific naming conventions.

"Amber" is her current name but there's no reason she couldn't change it if it didn't fit her guild well. Maybe she'd be 'Ember' if she joined the Blacksmiths, or 'Meander' if she joined the Fishermen.

1 hour ago, Falkman said:

Hmmm... a Goal Keeper, who could be a "maverick." There's not a lot to go by in this write up (other than a lot of back story - is that Rageheart he's talking about?). A "maverick" Goal Keeper could be a bit like Skulk? Or Pride? Who are often not near the goal?

I guess in Amber's case, it could be that Amber is her real name, rather than her Guild codename, since some people have that as a name in the "real world."

You could make some links to other guilds too. Some interesting reading on wikipedia points to beliefs that amber was produced by the sun, and was used in folk medicine for healing. That and coming from tree resin might give some hunters links? Also some historic links to electricity ... engineers? Or given the use of amber in jewellery maybe we could imagine the blacksmiths making some jewelled weapons or shields.

But in story terms, might be fun if she ends up in brewers. And Cutlass does make me think of the fishermen ... (replacement for losing Gutter to butchers last year?)

6 minutes ago, ADG said:

in story terms, might be fun if she ends up in brewers. And Cutlass does make me think of the fishermen ...

Pretty sure all the 10 are going to have names that are appropriate for each of the 10 Majors. They are all free-agents who have trained with the Majors so it wouldn't be surprising. They'll have to be a little careful that the names don't contribute unconscious-bias (that each is conceptualised as for the team relevant to their name) so guilds vote for who they want/need, not who they think SFG want them to have.

9 hours ago, Selfy said:

And we know that Shark’s real name is Geoffrey!

Just realized that I've always assumed Honour and Harmony are the real names of those characters ... as they could work as real names too. But maybe Honour is really called Sarah or Jane!

I guess we're safe to assume Harriet is really called Harriet, on and off the pitch.

10 minutes ago, Mako said:

Best hair so far!

That’s legit as a method of picking players, right?

Sure, why not? Isn't there some kind of statistics about football teams wearing red doing disproportionately better?

She sounds like a Winger w/ Close Control, speedy with lots of dodges or dodge-like tricks, but perhaps not a lot of damage output? I'm curious about that confidence and standing up to bullies stuff. I wonder if that might imply stoic?

Interesting. So we have Layne, a Striker, who sound like he's at least a 3/8 kick, with perhaps some high DEF but not much in the way of body - i.e. health. Other than that he's a pot head, I'm not sure what else to get out of the report... except that line about not showing up. Could that actually play into his card rules in some way?

Ok, now, here's Kami. Attacking Midfielder, so we ARE getting some repeating positions - I was under the (not at all indicated) impression that there would be only one player per position. Anyway, sounds like an average footballer, so probably 3/6", but with some ranged abilities. Sure sounds like Kill the Ball, and maybe something akin to Harriets knocking a ball loose, or perhaps just Snap Fire.