Sign in to follow this  
Celary

S4 Hoist speculation

Hi guys.

With all the recent changes, and with Floored Bolt in particular, people start wondering if Hoist is going to keep his True Replication. Sucker Punch looked like a strong play for Hoist. And now a ranged KD to replicate. What do you think? Is Hoist OP? Do you ever play without him?

Well, Floored Bolt can't be cast from the Playbook, so damage-wise it's less strong than the Sucker Punch combo. Control-wise, it's of course very strong to have three ranged KD's in Ballista, Salvo ánd Hoist. But remember, it's only gone up from 2 to 3. There's just no one that ever replicated Deadbolt, or at least not in matches I've played.

I myself have the idea that True Replication won't be removed, but will get an influence cost of 1. This in my mind is a decent nerf for a very strong Character Play. Yes, some things will become harder or even impossible, but it would tone Hoist down and give room for other models in the 6. Nowadays he's known as a near unkillable do-it-all, and I think that design space should only be reserved for super-solo captains.

9 minutes ago, Nykolae said:

There's just no one that ever replicated Deadbolt, or at least not in matches I've played.

Hoist can't replicate captains CP, this might be the reason.

1 minute ago, el009 said:

Can't replicate Captains CP.

Ah! So that's why I've never seen anyone do it. :P 

Thanks for the clarification there!

I think True Replication changes to Squadie Only.

And SFG said that CP with 0 Inf becoming 1 Inf but it is Increasing the Maximum to 5 (so 2/5 Inf). Maybe he gets the Trait Drained [True Replication] back, like he had in S2.

Or it is becomeing Trait on it‘s on.

I‘m pretty sure he loses Tough Hide and Sturdy and hopefully gets Stoic or Close Control or Both. Compare him to The Locus and you begin to wonder why he is much tougher than an actual Mechanika twice his size. 

What about making Hoist's True Rep "mechanica" character plays. That would take away Blast Earth, Floored Bolt, Arrrow to the Knee, Tether Ball, and Sucker Punch. Think that would bring him back into line?

14 minutes ago, Silversmith said:

What about making Hoist's True Rep "mechanica" character plays. That would take away Blast Earth, Floored Bolt, Arrrow to the Knee, Tether Ball, and Sucker Punch. Think that would bring him back into line?

I doubt SFG will do that - Salvo spoiler said they are moving away from 'mechanica only' Pin Vice plays to reduce complexity of rules.

5 hours ago, Nykolae said:

Control-wise, it's of course very strong to have three ranged KD's in Ballista, Salvo ánd Hoist. But remember, it's only gone up from 2 to 3. There's just no one that ever replicated Deadbolt, or at least not in matches I've played.

It jumped from 1 to 3

1 hour ago, el009 said:

I doubt SFG will do that - Salvo spoiler said they are moving away from 'mechanica only' Pin Vice plays to reduce complexity of rules.

I thought of that too.  The only reason I could think they might is that he is a squaddie not a captain and he has one play. But you are probably right.

People have mentioned that SFG is moving away from 'mechanica only'. Do you think they'll have Ratchet's Overclocked target all Engineer models? I feel like that would be too powerful of a Heroic.

Sorry, as this question is not related to S4 changes to Hoist.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:58 PM, Silversmith said:

I thought of that too.  The only reason I could think they might is that he is a squaddie not a captain and he has one play. But you are probably right.

I’m with you on this. The spoiler only mentioned Pin Vice, not Ratchet. Pin Vices plays are very complex and could do with simplifying and will probably change enough that the no mechanica thing makes sense.

Ratchet on the other hand is pretty much fine as he is. I don’t think he’ll change much, if at all. I’m pretty sure he does what he’s supposed to do and that is be the mechanica support technician.