Warpstoned

A Ratty Swedish Adventure (1st place @ Swedish Nationals)

Hi guys.

This part of the forum is pretty silent lately, and work is slow atm. So I figured I might as well do a little write up here, as someone might enjoy it. 

Anyway. I short of it is that I went to the Swedish Nationals this weekend and managed to grab 1st place. There was a 3 round tournament the day before that I went 2-1 in, but I enjoyed the Rats so I decided to bring them to the big event as well. They have been going very well for me, but I probably didn't think they would have all the juice to place on the podium of a big event, just because of all the good new stuff that has been coming out and I feel I still haven't properly practiced against. 

On to the games. They differ a bit in detail in my memory, but I will try to do my best. 

Game 1

I got matched up against the super nice Urko from Spain with his Brewers. He told me was a pretty new/casual player. He even brought out Stave, not to be outdone I selected Bonesaw (who I think actually works pretty decent receiving against brewers).

I received and last activation reveried a for Bonesaw goal, while esters threw bombs and decimate got Miasma knocked and on 1 (to die from disease) and jogged back. 

Turn 2 was a bit off grinding back and forth, and notable events was Piper getting the ball off Friday and scored, and Bonesaw unexpectedly pushed friday towards my lines and the rest just away from the action. I think Ester killed Piper and Scourge left Friday low. Bonesaw is almost dead in return. 

Turn 3 I manage to take out both Friday and Decimate, with some help of the singled out gameplan I believe. Ending the game at 12-4. Super relaxed and pleasant game to start the tournament with. 

JcNUEzn.jpg

Game 2

Second game I went up against the Polish Tomasz ""PoMek", who were one of my perceived favorites to win it all. This was not helped that I lost the roll off and got to kick. So that was a drastic difficulty spike. 

Game is super cagey, he pass dodge corsair twice to reach and beat down miasma to half (who were down by my left cover piece) and I got to put 7 damage on siren who collected the ball, with Piper (because there was nothing else I could/dared to do). 

Turn 2 miasma dies by gutter and siren by pelage. Skulk escapes by charging tentacles and << and getting reveried even further to leave corsair stranded. He holds on to the ball and everyone repositions. 2-2

Turn 3 a lot of jockeying around gaining some momentum by nothing in particular. Corsair kills Skulk after skulk fails to get a double dodge of corsair. Late in the turn he crucially forgets I have midfield general and Scourge gets a go at Gutter. He tries to get siren up to lure scourge by passdodging, but misses a pass and the ball is free. Piper double jogs to gain some momentum by hitting siren and be close to the ball. 4-4

Turn 4 Piper goes first kills siren and legendaries to get to the ball and just pass it to space to my right side, and it scatters favorably. Piper dies. Gutter gets put low but is healed. 4-6.

Turn 5 we mess about. Siren comes in to steal the ball from pelage, but misses her charge completely due to def stance, then hits seduced to get the ball and dodge toward my goal. Squeak, who has more hp than siren, charges her, jogs her back up to pelage, follows up and puts 2 damage into her. Pelage is dragged and beat to half by corsair. Siren dies, and gutter gets on 1, but dies in maintenance. 8-6 

Turn 6 Piper goes gets momentum, moves his gutter out of the way and reveries miasma for a tap in. 12-6. Phew! It all came down to the forgotten Midfield general inch and a missed pass. Really cool game.

tS1Uegz.jpg

Game 3

More tough match ups. Brewers again. This time against Teemu "The_emu" from Finland who I lost against the day before in the small tournament. He was also one of the guys I thought fought for the 1st place so it seems I am out of lucky pairings. He is extremely easy going and a very clean player so I was happy to face him though. 

To make matters worse I had to kick again. 

Turn 1 goes as you might expect, he keeps the ball very safe, blasts a bit and in goes decimate. I had decided I wanted piper to be safe so I had reveried Scourge up to threaten Lucky or the dog while running Piper out to the left flank. So Decimate goes and intercepts scourge. Knocks him and does ~10 damage and jogs 10 inches back. Scourge just stands up and eats snacks. 

Turn 2 he chooses me to go first. I farm some momentum with Skulk and Scourge off Lucky (healing scourge with snack break and momentum up to full). Meaning decimate needs to take care of him for real this time, which she does with all her buffs. I start to scrum a bit on Hemlocke but a blinded Piper don't do too much. 0-2

Turn 3 Piper goes first, steals the ball off esters and scores. Esters roll badly against Skulk, Decimate kills Piper and moves up with the ball. Scourge jogs in and leaves hemlocke on 2. vGraves gets to Spigot and knocks, bleeds and pushes him towards scourge. Squeak dies somewhere 4-5

Turn 4 I start by Snackbreaking Hemlocke and putting 6 damage and disease on Spigot. Spigot gets gravediggered and pushed a long way to the edge were piper came in and graves retreats. Esters fail again at doing much to skulk (buffing decimate instead). Lucky and decimate goes and works a bit on scourge but no kill. Piper kills spigot. Thanks to 2 bonus points I am now at 10 and can win by either goal or take out (Lucky had like 8hp and was engaged with scourge and even quaff is a liability now). 10-5

Turn 5 He gets to start but Lucky is low and decimate has the ball. So he is in bit of a bind. He goes with decimate and moves knocks and pushes scourge away and pass to Lucky for a dodge I think. Piper goes and pushes Decimate off the pitch (~7"). 12-7 

Another close game. It really helped that I could tank a bit with scourges raw healing power and skulks annoyance. It was nice to even out our interpersonal wins. 

nTy4kag.jpg

Game 4

I got to play against our very own Swedish Pär "Speedfreek" and his Union. I played him the day before as well, so we had already had a bit of a feel of the match up. Though in this game I got to receive. But getting to play Pär who I know and played a couple of times we both got pretty relaxed and had a sweet game with some beers. 

Turn 1 saw me receive and set up with graves to reverie goal of. But he sent in mist to interfere with Piper (couldn't kick tho because of odor) and he blocked LoS for the graves goal, so I reveried graves back to crowd mist and Piper but some hurt and set up on mist. I crucially forget about On my mark, so I don't tackle the ball, because I wouldn't want Piper as an early activation T2. So Blackheart runs, legendaries mist back 2" and OMMs the ball and dodges into graves for 2 hits. So my perfect setup got a bit bad. On the other hand, he has decimate and strongbox basing his goal so his board position is pretty bad. Though Blackheart is most of the team anyway.  

Turn 2 Piper is forced to go early and gets the ball from blackheart, moves mist a bit and passes the ball over to squeak who dodges away. The rest of the turn is basically fighting over mist and momentum. I don't get a snackdigger as I wanted, but I do get a snackbreak at least. 3-0

Turn 3 Blackheart somewhere gets a goal dodging around and manages to tackle Piper. Hemlocke goes down after a failed scoring attempt by tackling piper. Scourge rolls pretty bad at rage, but at least engages him, but gets 2 attacks and bleed on him for the trouble (in addition to blackheart chip damage). 5-4

Turn 4 Somewhere Skulk gets the ball and moves up, but I forget mists back in the game and mist gets the ball and lets blackheart score. I kill mist with extra point. Skulk gets the ball back. Hemlocke tries to get it off him but fails. Squeak dies somewhere.  8-9 but I have the ball and he has 45 seconds left. I on the other hand have scourge on 3hp after yet another bleed, piper on 4 and graves on 8. So it is not off the possibilities that he can take  out 2 players in 2 quick activations or get the ball for a snapshot. My clock is on 3 minutes so I can't afford to give a clock point away. 

Turn 5 I get to start and I could either try for a goal with Skulk which would let me win immediately, but missing his first attack on hemlocke needing 2 hits stops the goal run altogether because of the distance to goal.  I choose to play safer, with the risk of Pär doing a magical 2 take out blackheart maneuver in 90 seconds. I go with scourge, snackbreaking rage and healing up and it puts me on 11, practically waiting to see if Pär can do it or clock out. Pär has very little time to think goes with decimate to kill the 4 points off piper (in cover) and then maybe spike on graves. But she fails to kill Piper at all, leaving him on 1. We sit and wait out his remaining 20 seconds in silence and then I get to 12. 12-9 in the end in a bloody exciting end. 

gR4w8u1.jpg

In a fortunate succession of events, the pair down lost in both round 3 and David Cameron lost his pair down in round 4. So I am the only one left undefeated - leaving me both a bit baffled at the sudden victory and of course very happy. I hadn't thought I would be able to go all the way with Rats, but I was very happy that I brought them in the end. 

qFx3baP.jpg

I did feel like I played very well all day, with only a couple of fatigue related misses in the last game, and the dice that mattered did go my way (except maybe the starting rolls xD). 

All my opponents played very clean and tough games and the atmosphere was very friendly. 

I still haven't played that much of the rats so I feel like every game is a bit of an experiment, but I am happy to answer any questions. 

Cheers guys. Keep on 🐀!

Nice read and congrats :) I still think The_emu picked the wrong squaddies. With Hemlocke it feels like he wanted to play the control game with rats and that can't go good. I believe Hooper and Friday should be taken instead of Lucky and Hemlocke to add some pressure in melee and goal scoring. With Esters, vDecimate and Hooper even if you TO one of them the other two should easily get a TO or two 

29 minutes ago, Edek said:

Nice read and congrats :) I still think The_emu picked the wrong squaddies. With Hemlocke it feels like he wanted to play the control game with rats and that can't go good. I believe Hooper and Friday should be taken instead of Lucky and Hemlocke to add some pressure in melee and goal scoring. With Esters, vDecimate and Hooper even if you TO one of them the other two should easily get a TO or two 

I won't argue too much either way what's best from a brewer stand point. I will say though that I have very rarely been impressed with Hooper when facing him, he always ends up getting pushed around with his victim stats and being a little bit momentum/influence hungry in a match up where momentum is not too abundant.

Friday, dog and spigot is still pretty easy take outs, and it is not uncommon for decimate to die if she goes early or just by a double activation by scourge. 

That last spot is not super relevant either way. The brewers game plan is largely about Decimate and Esters anyway (and maybe a Friday goal). I don't think Brewers really need to "tech" against ratcatchers, just play smarter than the rat player. 

To be honest, I think that the brewer should have taken stoker, More fire is never bad vs rats and scourge isnt a fan of someone who auto removes conditions and with a potential +3dmg swing.

Regardless good show.

2 minutes ago, Riozaki said:

To be honest, I think that the brewer should have taken stoker, More fire is never bad vs rats and scourge isnt a fan of someone who auto removes conditions and with a potential +3dmg swing.

Regardless good show.

Hehe, Lucky, Hooper and Hemlocke removes conditions too and hooper is also capable of a +3dmg swing. Fire is not as super impactful as you might think, as Scourge is routinely being cleared by Miasma (people do love to knock poor Scourge down for some reason...) . Fire is never bad ofc however and I do wish I'd see people try Stoker more. 

People think knocked down scourge is a non threatening scourge lmfao. Of course nothing says miasma cant cure him of that and a diseased rat cant reapply disease before scourge activates :D

And yea i forgot about hoopers Shove the boot in but that being said, just play that card to give stoker +4 (bye bye someone)

Congrats @Warpstoned! Thanks for the detailed write ups.

I would love to hear your thoughts on team selection. I am new to rats and find Scourge really needs Miasma to mitigate everyone's obsession with KDing him. From there it seems tough. Pelage is often really good - reverie target, singled out and snared for Scourge takeouts. From there I struggle to pick between Skulk, Graves and Bonesaw. Skulk is a solid player IMO. Graves I find difficult to use properly (he ends up in useless places or just dies), but the extra VP reward is tempting. Then Bonesaw.... that big base is so annoying.

Glad you like it and welcome to the rats!

My normal core is Scourge, Miasma, Graves. And then I flex between Skulk and Pelage normally.

Pelage is a bit better when you receive as a reverie target and can put decent hurt into some models. But if you kick you are less likely to get an early reverie.

In addition Skulk is stronger against teams with strong counter attacks or unpredictable movement that Pelage doesn't get to do too much.

But I mostly just go by gut feeling, both are ok. 

Bonesaw (pre season 4 anyway) is basically only when you receive and value his longer kick over Pelages abilities. 

But try stuff out and see how it works for you :)  you learn "why" you like some models when you leave them out too. 

On 8/22/2018 at 9:18 PM, Warpstoned said:

Glad you like it and welcome to the rats!

My normal core is Scourge, Miasma, Graves. And then I flex between Skulk and Pelage normally.

Pelage is a bit better when you receive as a reverie target and can put decent hurt into some models. But if you kick you are less likely to get an early reverie.

In addition Skulk is stronger against teams with strong counter attacks or unpredictable movement that Pelage doesn't get to do too much.

But I mostly just go by gut feeling, both are ok. 

Bonesaw (pre season 4 anyway) is basically only when you receive and value his longer kick over Pelages abilities. 

But try stuff out and see how it works for you :)  you learn "why" you like some models when you leave them out too. 

Firstly congrats on the win!

I have found this above to be my feelings after 8 games with Ratcatchers. My flex is Pelage or Skulk in most match ups so nice to see a top players saying the same :)

Congrats on the win!  Nicely done, especially with Rats!

The general line up I was using was Scourge, Miasma, Graves & Skulk.  I like Pelage a lot, but more often than not, I left her on the bench in favor of the other 4.