Fli

Engineer's 10 Lineup

Hello there! I'm planning on attending WarGames Con tomorrow and am thinking about using the following as my lineup:

Ballista
Pin Vice
Mother
Compound
Hoist
Ratchet
Velocity
Harriet 'The Hat'
Colossus
Salvo

My plan is to mainly stick with using Ballista, Mother, Ratchet, Hoist, Harriet, and Velocity for the ranged gun line game. However, which teams do you feel it would be better to run Pin Vice against?

I usually run PV against Engineers in the mirror. Otherwise, Ballista is so versatile he plays well into just about anything. PV is also a good captain so it really comes down to preference, though I wouldn't necessarily play PV into high tac teams. No armor sucks vs. Lots of dice.  Of course, this advice comes AFTER you needed it.  Lol. Sorry.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:01 PM, Silversmith said:

I usually run PV against Engineers in the mirror. Otherwise, Ballista is so versatile he plays well into just about anything. PV is also a good captain so it really comes down to preference, though I wouldn't necessarily play PV into high tac teams. No armor sucks vs. Lots of dice.  Of course, this advice comes AFTER you needed it.  Lol. Sorry.

No worries! The lineup ended up working out okay for me. I ran Balista all day. I had issues against Hammer and vetChisel, since I wasn't able to keep Hammer knocked down with Dead Bolt to prevent him from being able to do anything on turn 1. Final record for the day was 2-2.

vs Hammer: 0 - 12
vs Theron: 12 - 9
vs Grange: 12 - 8
vs Honour: 8 - 12

With the high amount of armor that the Masons have, I regret dropping Decimate in my lineup :(

Oh well, Season 4 is starting soon and my LGS' Rookie League starts next week!

On 8/18/2018 at 1:01 AM, Silversmith said:

I wouldn't necessarily play PV into high tac teams. No armor sucks vs. Lots of dice. 

Actually, the reverse is true.

Armor is more valuable the fewer dice your opponent has.

Defense is more valuable the more dice your opponent has.

If your opponent is TAC 1, a point of armour is infinitely better than any def score.

If your opponent is TAC 6, +1 DEF and +1 ARM are equally valuable (since each reduces your opponent's expected number of hits by 1).

If your opponent is TAC 12, gaining +1 DEF is approximately equivalent to gaining +2 ARM (since one point of DEF reduces your opponent's expected number of hits by 2).

2 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

Defense is more valuable the more dice your opponent has.

If your opponent is TAC 1, a point of armour is infinitely better than any def score.

If your opponent is TAC 6, +1 DEF and +1 ARM are equally valuable (since each reduces your opponent's expected number of hits by 1).

If your opponent is TAC 12, gaining +1 DEF is approximately equivalent to gaining +2 ARM (since one point of DEF reduces your opponent's expected number of hits by 2).

I'll admit this is true. But with no other real defensive tech and low life levels, 5+ def and no armor means she will probably be knocked down or at least hurt bad by any reasonably high TAC player who attacks her. I suppose with easy access to dodges for a counter attack she can be fairly survivable but that has not been my experience. Ballista with 1ARM and tough hide lives much longer against most of my opponents with high TAC.

I'm okay with Pin Vice dying after she's done something meaningful. Even if she can't get in range to do stuff herself when returning from a TO, she can hand out valuable buffs. 

15 hours ago, Silversmith said:

I'll admit this is true. But with no other real defensive tech and low life levels, 5+ def and no armor means she will probably be knocked down or at least hurt bad by any reasonably high TAC player who attacks her. I suppose with easy access to dodges for a counter attack she can be fairly survivable but that has not been my experience. Ballista with 1ARM and tough hide lives much longer against most of my opponents with high TAC.

Ballista is still more likely to eat a KD from the playbook of any model in the game, and more vulnerable to getting killed once he is KDed.

Pin Vice also has the major advantage of being way more effective at returning to the pitch and immediately doing work, rather than coming back on and being pretty useless for a turn after being taken out like Ballista. She's fast enough that I'm usually pretty happy to trade her for a takeout, get killed in return, then come back on and continue doing things next turn. 

For both captains, once they're pinned down and engaged by multiple enemies you'd probably prefer if they were taken out, since the you get to bring them back and actually use them, rather than have them sit in the middle of a scrum and do nothing.

18 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

Thank you!

On 8/20/2018 at 7:53 AM, Fli said:

No worries! The lineup ended up working out okay for me. I ran Balista all day. I had issues against Hammer and vetChisel, since I wasn't able to keep Hammer knocked down with Dead Bolt to prevent him from being able to do anything on turn 1. Final record for the day was 2-2.

vs Hammer: 0 - 12
vs Theron: 12 - 9
vs Grange: 12 - 8
vs Honour: 8 - 12

With the high amount of armor that the Masons have, I regret dropping Decimate in my lineup :(

Oh well, Season 4 is starting soon and my LGS' Rookie League starts next week!

I think pin vice may be better for the mason matchup, between lucky and vet harmony peeps like honour and hammer are well protected :(

6 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

For both captains, once they're pinned down and engaged by multiple enemies you'd probably prefer if they were taken out, since the you get to bring them back and actually use them, rather than have them sit in the middle of a scrum and do nothing.

In this situation, Pin Vice can even try and kill herself with her character plays. :D

2 hours ago, Ruffy said:

In this situation, Pin Vice can even try and kill herself with her character plays. :D

I know Balista loves being disarmed while being surrounded by 3 blacksmiths lol