Jump to content
DeathlyDrew

The Reign of Obulus is over....

Recommended Posts

Hot take.

With how captains and guilds are continuing to get more complex, higher damage output, more abilities and character plays and can hit from range. In addition to the way initiative works, Obulus is no longer the best or a very good threat to most guilds.

The big thing with Obulus is his ability to avoid being attacked, puppet mastering and used to be stealing momentum, but I have found that stealing momentum really doesn't do anything outside of maybe dealing a goal now. Puppet Master isn't as effective as it once was, and his 4d1a and only 14 health is WAY too fragile.

Case in point, if you look at the new falconer captain Devana, she destroys Obs without a thought. Or take the new vCinder, charging Obulus does 3 damage and she has a 2 in reach, which means UM isn't getting you away, and on just three hits you're likely getting impaled for another 3 dmg. 

 

I'm not saying he doesn't have his uses, but I just don't see obulus being the man anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started playing Morts at the start of this year. Playing with Obulus for the first two months to get a good feel for all his trickery. Though after that its been all about Scalpel. I love her. Plus, with the addition of Pelage and VHemlocke she has opened up even more.

He definitely doesn't have it as easy as he used to anymore. More characters with 2in melee or tech to work around. Kind of victim stats. Also, we know hes not getting changed in S4. So, we will have to see how he stacks up after Scalpel and her hopeful tweek to the Playbook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obulus is a control piece not a 'I can do everything MWAHAHAHA' piece. Puppet Master is still excellent at neutralising threats like Decimate and controlling the board. Devana can destroy most models in the game - if you let her. With Hemlocke and Obi - it should be easy to muck up Falconer's plans. Don't count the old guy out yet. His lower hit boxes are a product of his excellent defence tech.

And S4 is just 2 months away - I'm sure Obi will be back to being deeply frustrating soon! Who knows how Morts will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Obulus is a control piece not a 'I can do everything MWAHAHAHA' piece. Puppet Master is still excellent at neutralising threats like Decimate and controlling the board. Devana can destroy most models in the game - if you let her. With Hemlocke and Obi - it should be easy to muck up Falconer's plans. Don't count the old guy out yet. His lower hit boxes are a product of his excellent defence tech.

And S4 is just 2 months away - I'm sure Obi will be back to being deeply frustrating soon! Who knows how Morts will change.

How so? I mean I understand how with Obulus, although he is going to have to go early which puts him at serious risk with his low HP. But I guess I don't get the love of vHemlocke. I've tried her and Taking the 3 damage just didn't do it for me. I understand the love for Blind, but if you miss, it's over. (I'm also jaded as I think many of the other Vet pieces were much better than Hemlocke) I think the problem with Obi is A. He's not changing in S4. B. I would debate that Morticians may be one of the least buffed teams since the nerfs happened to Obs and Silence and C. Morticians rely so heavily on a single dice roll to win, vs. many other guilds that have a heavy dice pool or tricks that can win them games. I think Silence is going to see a resurgence because you're going to have to land a tucked to disrupt the combos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a Mortician is no easy task nowadays, I admit that. We had our reign back in Season 2 and then had the nerfhammer swung at us. It was overly harsh and few buffs (remember the old Graves?) were not enough to compensate for what has been done to Obulus, Silence and the Union taken away from us. Yet this guild is still fun to play for me.

The problem I have with control tricks is they cost resource (influence, activation), often put a player dangerously close to an enemy and generate 0 VP. You still have to kick the ball (or the players) to score but You are already low on influence. And our playbooks aren't spectacular at generating neither DMG nor MP. That, combined with lowest average HP, makes winning fights hard.

I'd say have faith and wait for S4, maybe there will come salvation. What I'd like to see is either buffing vGraves and Casket to let us generate more VP for the same price or overall dmg&football buffs to make team more efficent. Cause playing Scalepl is not a solution at this point, at her current state she doesn't even feel necessary in a rooster.

About vHemlocke: this lass is just awesome. She and Obulus are my main strikers now. It's all about her crazy mobility AND being able to avoid immediate punishment thanks to blind. Combine that with 2" melee and :momT: on 1 hit and noone wants her hanging around their goalpost but she's dealt with she can still come back quite fast and influence fight via her blind or pushing ally with offering. And she gives Ghast quite a scary threat range. I pick her every time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VHemlocke and oGraves run in tandem make it hard for your opponent to hold onto the ball. Add on both the tool boxes they bring in support as well to other team mates make them auto include in most my lists.

Hitting Blind(usually bonus timing) on key targets early is a great tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, el009 said:

Being a Mortician is no easy task nowadays, I admit that. We had our reign back in Season 2 and then had the nerfhammer swung at us. It was overly harsh and few buffs (remember the old Graves?) were not enough to compensate for what has been done to Obulus, Silence and the Union taken away from us. Yet this guild is still fun to play for me.

The problem I have with control tricks is they cost resource (influence, activation), often put a player dangerously close to an enemy and generate 0 VP. You still have to kick the ball (or the players) to score but You are already low on influence. And our playbooks aren't spectacular at generating neither DMG nor MP. That, combined with lowest average HP, makes winning fights hard.

I'd say have faith and wait for S4, maybe there will come salvation. What I'd like to see is either buffing vGraves and Casket to let us generate more VP for the same price or overall dmg&football buffs to make team more efficent. Cause playing Scalepl is not a solution at this point, at her current state she doesn't even feel necessary in a rooster.

About vHemlocke: this lass is just awesome. She and Obulus are my main strikers now. It's all about her crazy mobility AND being able to avoid immediate punishment thanks to blind. Combine that with 2" melee and :momT: on 1 hit and noone wants her hanging around their goalpost but she's dealt with she can still come back quite fast and influence fight via her blind or pushing ally with offering. And she gives Ghast quite a scary threat range. I pick her every time.

 

 

I suppose I am just inexperienced with her. The 12 HP and 5 Def with no armor and typically using Soul Seer just has her killed all of the time. I want to use her as a striker, but then she just seems like bait.

I agree with your assessment on control tricks. The resource cost just seems so much in comparison. Especially when the only good guild ball move we have is unmasking, but it isn't that easy to hit. Most everyone else has a way to drop aoe's from far away, or hit a guild ball move that can dirty knives someone, while Morts just..... don't. I felt like Morts were viable for awhile, but with the new Falconers and the Navigators and then you get VCinder and all of them, it just seems like Morts get the "balanced" character, and everyone else gets the pretty easy to kill character. I would say morts really don' have a good killer, or a good scorer, they are all kind of average at both. (Maybe outside of Cosset, and Bonesaw) 

S4 will for sure see a chance in vGraves, he is completely unusable, and I would appreciate a boost here or there in a kick stat. One of the biggest issues I think is that we have so many players at 2/6", so you spend ALL of your influence to get up to 6", make the kick and you miss. And now you're just a sitting duck at 14hp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeathlyDrew said:

I suppose I am just inexperienced with her. The 12 HP and 5 Def with no armor and typically using Soul Seer just has her killed all of the time. I want to use her as a striker, but then she just seems like bait.

I agree with your assessment on control tricks. The resource cost just seems so much in comparison. Especially when the only good guild ball move we have is unmasking, but it isn't that easy to hit. Most everyone else has a way to drop aoe's from far away, or hit a guild ball move that can dirty knives someone, while Morts just..... don't. I felt like Morts were viable for awhile, but with the new Falconers and the Navigators and then you get VCinder and all of them, it just seems like Morts get the "balanced" character, and everyone else gets the pretty easy to kill character. I would say morts really don' have a good killer, or a good scorer, they are all kind of average at both. (Maybe outside of Cosset, and Bonesaw) 

S4 will for sure see a chance in vGraves, he is completely unusable, and I would appreciate a boost here or there in a kick stat. One of the biggest issues I think is that we have so many players at 2/6", so you spend ALL of your influence to get up to 6", make the kick and you miss. And now you're just a sitting duck at 14hp.

I feel tap-in passes in S4 can solve one of the issues. At least BSaw gets somewhat reliable and doesn't need a bucket of MP to work ;)

For me, 9hp Hemlocke isn't that easy to get rid of in one player activation and I'm fine with her dying after she scores. 

I'm thinking of reintroducing Casket just for his legendary as I can't keep up with the tempo of certain teams but he's such a liability with 1/4 inf and the rough ground aura.

Competent Hunters and Engineers are my nemesis in S3, Falconers will just join them. Everyone has bad matchups. Everyone except vDecimate ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams that excel in range character plays are a big weakness for Morts. Combine that with our lack of Condition Tech as well it causes a big problem. I pray for someone on our line up to get tools for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I just missed it, but where did the info come from that Obulus won't change in Season 4?

I barely use him as I feel 4 Influence for Puppet Master often isn't worth it and he does too little for the team if he's not stacked. I prefer Scalpel and think that except for the design of her playbook, she's great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ruffy said:

I guess I just missed it, but where did the info come from that Obulus won't change in Season 4?

I barely use him as I feel 4 Influence for Puppet Master often isn't worth it and he does too little for the team if he's not stacked. I prefer Scalpel and think that except for the design of her playbook, she's great.

I don't know if it was said on another place too, but in the Discord Jamie did bring up Obulus as one of the examples of models they felt were working as intended and were not due to a change. That was the only spoiler he was willing to part with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obulus isn’t weak, it’s (arguably) parts of his team around him.  Vhmelocke has opened this up. 

Obby with 7 and tooled up still kills things with a little setup.  Pelage is huge. Skulk hurts football teams. 

Also, vs Devana, feels good having her walk away from your team on a full stack. Or go with 1 Harrier on the board with silence.

 

Morticians are never going to be a brick to the face team. It’s not what they are meant to be. While I am hopeful for some buffs/changes to them in season 4, they aren’t as bad as some people are thinking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mattyg2787 said:

Obulus isn’t weak, it’s (arguably) parts of his team around him.  Vhmelocke has opened this up. 

Obby with 7 and tooled up still kills things with a little setup.  Pelage is huge. Skulk hurts football teams. 

Also, vs Devana, feels good having her walk away from your team on a full stack. Or go with 1 Harrier on the board with silence.

 

Morticians are never going to be a brick to the face team. It’s not what they are meant to be. While I am hopeful for some buffs/changes to them in season 4, they aren’t as bad as some people are thinking

Obby, even with tooled up, can't hit his :mom2: reliably. Not vs. anyone having 4+/1 or better def stats. With 7 dice (singled out) You have 50/50 chance to hit 3rd column, if Devanna has cover that drops to miserable 34%. SFG made sure that Obs can't smack face reasonably anymore. I guess he could be support/setup/control captain but his team just cannot keep up with current pace of the game. 

They are not bad, I still like playing them, but they feel somewhat handicapped. Vemlocke made things better, she's a steep in the right direction, but we need more than that. 

We'll see what S4 brings, I have more teams to play with ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can hit his :1: pretty reliably though and with Tooled Up, that is 2 damage up to seven times. There are a lot of things that can play into the dice math here of course, Obulus could for example make 3 attacks, each with Confidence... or use Bonus Time and Confidence for good chances to knock a 3/1 model down with the first attack.

It's also fun to operate more towards a side with Fast Ground, have an enemy model do a Puppet Master advance to the edge of the pitch and charge it with Confidence to push it off. Not all TOs have to come from damage. :)

Also, Morticians have two captains and Obulus doesn't have to be great against all matchups. Scalpel should do reasonably well against Falconers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ruffy said:

He can hit his :1: pretty reliably though and with Tooled Up, that is 2 damage up to seven times. There are a lot of things that can play into the dice math here of course, Obulus could for example make 3 attacks, each with Confidence... or use Bonus Time and Confidence for good chances to knock a 3/1 model down with the first attack.

It's also fun to operate more towards a side with Fast Ground, have an enemy model do a Puppet Master advance to the edge of the pitch and charge it with Confidence to push it off. Not all TOs have to come from damage. :)

Also, Morticians have two captains and Obulus doesn't have to be great against all matchups. Scalpel should do reasonably well against Falconers.

Pushing off the edge is fun yet somewhat situational and random. I managed to pull it off mabye 2-3 times, now my local buddies know that trick ;) It requires 5 net hits, if enemy uses def stance to make his model 5+/1 then Your average is 4 net hits after rerolls. Fun, situational, unreliable.

Obs is terribly inefficent as a beater, he can kill model with a setup but that consumes 8+ influence while rest of the team does next to nothing and killing 1 model/turn is not enough to keep up with other teams tempo. 

I love Spooks yet theyre somewhat behind at the moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But how do they use Def Stance if they've got no Momentum? :D

Obulus doesn't have to do the pushing himself if the model has already activated. I agree that Obs is only a situational beater, but looking at Morticians in general, we are not exactly a beater guild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are feeling the effects of a little of codex/armybook/guild creep awe are no longer the ones with the most shenanigans, since hot shot etc.
The things that we mis atm with morts/are a pain for morts:

- not influence effecient (no ranged options to get mp/free attacks etc)
- our playbooks are too long ( we don't wrap except for cosset)
- we have very specific players (we have no generic playbook that we share)
-  same to Fishermen if we fail a kick etc we are done ( we are not a forgiving guild )

For Obs the problems are as following:

- he generates 5 inf but also mostly needs those 5 inf cause if you don't have a mininum of 4 one him he is ingored almost and people can play freely
- his legendary while nice and good is nothing more than a one trick pony (and people playing against Obs can negate it by spening their mp wisely) mostly it's used when activation first to negate an counter-attack and that's it.
- It's called the Obulus show and if he fails you're done.
 

But The Ferryman will rise again in season 4

*Evil laugh*

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the captains are mostly fine, it's the squaddies and mascots that could use a push and I agree that there has been a little power creep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ruffy said:

I think the captains are mostly fine, it's the squaddies and mascots that could use a push and I agree that there has been a little power creep.

I guess Obs could use his old PM wording (spend 4, get 1 back) and Scalpel needs her playbook reworked, maybe remove the Wake the Dead entirely (or let her trigger it via playbook/heroic) and maybe give her Lighning Reflexes. Just minor tweaks.

Mascots are bottom tier now, relic of times when they were one of the few able to come back on pitch. 

Players? Most of them could use a buff. Graves, Cosset and Hemlocke are fine, rest needs some (or plenty of) love and attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel Scalpel's Legendary is very underpowerd compared to others... should add snared or anything like damage etc..
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Question_NL said:

I feel Scalpel's Legendary is very underpowerd compared to others... should add snared or anything like damage etc..
 

TBH i like her legendary, it can be a good way to pull off some tricks.  I just dont like her playbook or the fact that her heroic can only do 1 character play  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be cool if her Legendary became her Heroic and only worked on a single enemy model. This would help Scalpel greatly in not getting stranded against any model with a decent counter-attack since her KD is super high. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2018 at 7:45 AM, Ruffy said:

It would be cool if her Legendary became her Heroic and only worked on a single enemy model. This would help Scalpel greatly in not getting stranded against any model with a decent counter-attack since her KD is super high. :)

I feel a comparison with Hag's Legendary is somewhat relevant. A 4" pulse, 1 damage taken for every model affected, and a 2" push (enemy) or dodge (friendly) for every model in any direction.

What if Scalpel's Legendary was a 3" push in any direction for everyone in the pulse? How would that look in light of the release of players like Anvil, Piper et al?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scratch what I said earlier, Scalpel can't lose her current Heroic. :D

I mean, there is at least one player with two Heroics...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 1:09 AM, Ruffy said:

Scratch what I said earlier, Scalpel can't lose her current Heroic. :D

I mean, there is at least one player with two Heroics...

To be fair there is actually 5 heroics in guild, just because nobody uses them doesnt mean they dont exist.
#MakeMortsGreatAgain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×